CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well someone had to be the one. I've dreaded writing this. Hate talking about it. I didn't get elected, but fate choose me. A buck White Tail deer darted in front of me on the way home from the store last Thursday. In a blink of an eye a brown blur crossed from right to left. It hit the fairing. The fairing broke up into pieces. No personal injuries, just pissed off as ****. Still pissed off as ****.

The bike and rider did not go down. Just slowed, pulled over and parked it. Rode it home after the Sherriff wrote his report.

I have a lot of thoughts on this, but this one, I feel is the important one for the forum! The fairing did its job. It protected the rider. It absorbed the impact, just like a crumple zone in an automobile. This is why I will not buy a naked bike or one with a fork mounted fairing or windshield. Deer and vehicle collisions keep the body shops in business in my area. One must be prepared or stay home.

Attachments

Reactions: Croxy

·
Premium Member
2014 Honda CTX1300 Deluxe
1,053 Posts
Wow,

Thanks for sharing. I hope the bike gets fixed and you get back on the road soon. Take care.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Amazing. Sorry to hear but thanks for sharing. Ok....I have a couple of comments/questions. Did all that plastic serve as a useful shock absorber? If so, I'm viewing the plastic in a whole new way. I'd like details about how the bike handled the impact. Wobble? Stable? Deer are a constant problem where I ride.

·
Registered
78 Posts
WOW! Just a little super glue and she'll be as good as new. Now would be a good time to change out your battery, if necessary! She takes a beating but keeps on ticking! Just a little humor to lighten the situation. Glad your okay ... don't know IF I'd have come out of it as well as you did. I'd probably be in the hospital!

·
Registered
114 Posts
:eek::eek::eek:

Thankfully you are not hurt (physically)!!!!!!!!

Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Well someone had to be the one. I've dreaded writing this. Hate talking about it. I didn't get elected, but fate choose me. A buck White Tail deer darted in front of me on the way home from the store last Thursday. In a blink of an eye a brown blur crossed from right to left. It hit the fairing. The fairing broke up into pieces. No personal injuries, just pissed off as ****. Still pissed off as ****.

The bike and rider did not go down. Just slowed, pulled over and parked it. Rode it home after the Sherriff wrote his report.

I have a lot of thoughts on this, but this one, I feel is the important one for the forum! The fairing did its job. It protected the rider. It absorbed the impact, just like a crumple zone in an automobile. This is why I will not buy a naked bike or one with a fork mounted fairing or windshield. Deer and vehicle collisions keep the body shops in business in my area. One must be prepared or stay home.

Wow.....that really sucks.....glad to hear that you are ok though.....the broken pieces can be replaced....hope it's all back to gather and shiny soon!

:smiley-happy0034:

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys. I've cooled off a bit since then. But to quote a famous character David Banner, "you wouldn't like when I'm angry." Got the bow and the shot gun out though and sighted them in yesterday. That was great therapy.

The bike was perfectly stable tnrough the hit. The critical element is that the steering elements were not hit. The radiator and forks not hit. Lots of wires and circuit boards hanging down.

I'm concerned about parts avaiability. Just got and installed center stand, heated gips and 12v plug. Will there be body panels and head light pieces ready?

·
Registered
764 Posts
You did a good job holding it together there.

That looks fixable. I hope your insurance company doesn't drag this out too long.

·
Super Moderator
5,721 Posts
Wow, major bummer.
I think all the parts you'll need are available, just expensive. Hope insurance takes good care of you.
Congrats on keeping it up and being able to just pull over to the side on your own.

·
Super Moderator
2,174 Posts
That is just heartbreaking. But the most important thing is that you're ok. A friend of mine hit a deer several years ago while riding a Suzuki Intruder 1400. The bike got totaled; he went for a little fly, but was basically ok aside from being banged up and very sore. I've seen cars come away looking worse after an impact with a deer.

Again, just glad to hear you're ok. Hopefully the shop gets you back on the road quick. ;)

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
What's really important wasn't damaged! Every day we are breathing is an incredible gift, an amazing opportunity. Another reminder to not take it for granted.
It still sucks about the bike....

·
Registered
32 Posts
Glad you’re OK, goes to show the stability of the bike and the skill of the rider.
The mere fright of a deer hitting me might have put me down, although I had a close call with two kangaroos the other afternoon just on dusk. A large one (mum) jumped out in front of me to cross the road so I was heavy on the brakes when a littler one (joey) decided to follow her so I was when off brakes and on throttle and got between them. Thanks to the good lights I was able to see the Roos coming and the bike handled beautifully even I’ve only done 1000 kms on it so far.

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
Wow, glad you are OK, Rav! I hit a deer in my Cavalier years ago; it looked like I had hit an elephant instead of a deer. Crunched the entire front end. Deer are a HUGE problem here. I see two or three standing near the road almost every time I travel the road to my little town in the evening around dusk. I do a little cheer whenever hunting season rolls around, since it drives the deer back into the woods for a few months at least!

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Glad you’re OK, goes to show the stability of the bike and the skill of the rider.
The mere fright of a deer hitting me might have put me down, although I had a close call with two kangaroos the other afternoon just on dusk. A large one (mum) jumped out in front of me to cross the road so I was heavy on the brakes when a littler one (joey) decided to follow her so I was when off brakes and on throttle and got between them. Thanks to the good lights I was able to see the Roos coming and the bike handled beautifully even I’ve only done 1000 kms on it so far.
OziRon,
I was thinking today that having Roo's to dodge would be a whole nutter level of risk. Glad you missed them.

Reactions: OziRon

·
Registered
82 Posts
Bike looks like its been in a war zone. Great riding to keep it up. So glad you did not get hurt. Thanks for sharing

·
Super Moderator
5,721 Posts
My favorite source so far has been CheapCycleParts.com. When I low sided my ST1100 and after the insurance paid me the OEM parts AND labor for the repairs (since I did my own repairs) I ordered everything from there and used the excess I didn't spend on FARKLEs.

2014 Honda CTX1300A AC Original Equipment Manufacturer Parts at Cheap Cycle Parts

At the time I had compared prices on BikeBandit and a number of other places and found these guys were just a bit less on total cost of all the parts including shipping. I have not compared prices yet on the CTX1300 parts.

FARKLE =
Functional spARKLE
or = Fancy Accessory Really Kool & Likely Expensive

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
Sorry to hear about your ride. :( The most important thing is you're okay. It could've been a whole lot worse! Hopefully you can get her up and going again here real soon! :smiley-happy0034:

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Repair estimate from crash test

The insurance adjuster and my Honda tech worked together and put together as repair estimate.
There are 46 items on the list totaling almost $5k.
Labor almost $1k.

Of the 46 items, 6 are on back order or are not available with no date for availability. The dealer will put in a "Crashed Bike" call to Honda which will try to get them to divert parts from bike assembly operations into the parts stream.

When this will be done, is anyone's guess. I am without doubt in envy of our member with two CTX's. I'm bikeless.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts