CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
, First of all let me explain , i've had big cruisers for years now , generaly 2 of them , at the moment a rocket tourer , great bike , But after buying a v strom 650 ,, I just love it , i hit them twistys close too home and have a ball .

I just love the way it is easy to handle , u turns ,in the heavy traffic , goes round bends like its on rails , and is great fun ,, Its made me relize , that big is not always better .

So one day riding along i sen this ctx 700 and thought thats a smart looking bike , after making enquiries i found out what it was , and that there was a 1300 coming out . So now i've seen them both in the flesh , but cannot ride one i sort of think , if i'm going smaler because i want lighter and more manouverable , plus better handling .. Would i be better of going for the 700 over the 1300 , . it would be used has my long distance plus weekend 2 up bike ,

I would be keeping the v strom , just getting rid of the rocket ,, loss of power is not a problem too me , because to be honest unless its a long journey i prefer the v strom over the rocket , .

Be interested to hear what the views are from people who have rode or owned both ,, Back of my mind is the 700 may be a bit to small for touring , but then again its the twisty stuff that i like

·
Registered
9 Posts
Well mate...it's all a state of mind when it comes to power. If you ride alone mostly, it'll be fine. I enjoy plodding along at my own pace sometimes, usually take in the roadkill and motor size isn't an issue. If you're happy with the vstrom's power you should be happy with the 700 as well, plus it's a bit cheaper. If I wasn't mixing it with the likes of FJ1300's and such on a regular basis, I'd be riding a bonnie. The gsx14 I've got is good at keeping up, but old age and wanting a screen is the issue now, so plan A is, the harley goes, single seat the 14 and 2 up tour on the ctx.

·
Registered
765 Posts
I traded a CTX700D with DCT for my CTX1300.

When the deer killed my Gold Wing in August of 2012 I was left with only my 2012 Wee Strom. It served me very nicely as my only bike until I picked up the CTX700D in August of 2013. Recent Motorcycling Pictures - TennesseeSmith

I farkled the CTX up nicely for touring. But eventually it was the lack of success at setting up a proper windshield that made me decide the CTX700 would not be a good long-term solution for touring. You can see pictures at CTX700 - TennesseeSmith

All of the Suzuki dealers in my area were forced out during the bankruptcy of American Suzuki. So I traded the Wee for a Triumph Trophy. That's a proper touring bike with the best wind protection I've ever experienced. But it has been horribly unreliable.

I decided to trade the Trophy for the CTX1300, but the Honda dealers wanted my CTX700 way more than they wanted the Trophy. So now I have a CTX1300 and a Trophy.

If I could go back and do it over, I'd have kept the Wee and my two bikes would be the CTX1300 and the Wee.

For the few months I had the Wee and the 700, I just felt like I needed one of the bikes to be bigger.

If you haven't already been there, look at Honda CTX700 Forum

Read the old stuff as well as the current stuff and do the same for this board. Take note of the windshield issues for the 700. I suspect you'll decide to go for the bigger bike.

The 1300 has a slightly better fuel range than the 700. Both can be had with ABS. The DCT is nice for touring on the 700, but you'll want it in manual mode for the twisty bits. The foot-forward position on the 700 is not as comfortable on long days as the position on the 1300. Neither bike lets you stand up like you can on the Wee Strom. You'll want beads on the seat for hot days on either CTX since the seat does not breath and you can't easily stand up.

Good luck with your choice. Both bikes are excellent.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I ride with other rockets , and it does'nt matter the rt3 or the v strom i keep up , Power is'nt really the issue . I go on long trips 110 speed limit is fine , bit more overtaking but then drop back , where i get my kicks are in the Hills , and twisties , there just sitting on the speed limit can push it if the bends are tight , and there i love the v strom , But i felt the same over the bike i got rid of to get the v strom , A bonnie t 100 .

Thing is i would'nt tour on the Bonnie or the vstrom , they just don't have the comfort , the rt3 is comfort all the way , but when i get to the ocean road or wherever i wish i could swap bikes back to the v strom .

Thats where i think the CTX will do the job ,, But which one discision s discisions . Regards money they have offered me fack all for the rocket , almost insulting , if i sell it private or find a dealer who is reasonable , the 1300 will cost me money , the 700 i'll have money left over for a trip .

Its a hard one because , there are non around for me to test ride . YET

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Ken , thats excatly the sort of info i was after .. Sounds like we have the same sort of taste in bikes , i too was after a trophy , and went to buy one I decided to wait a few months till i recovered from heart surgery , figured it was no use in the shed waiting for me to recover .

But then following the reports , i thought i would wait , and from the issues i've read about , not seeming to get better i'm glad i did

Have you tried the T bIRD

·
Super Moderator
2,176 Posts
If your next bike is going to be for weekend excursions and 2-up, I'd highly recommend the CTX1300 over the 700. It's very maneuverable, feels lighter than it is, and will go 2-up comfortable all day long with all the power you should ever need.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks , fellas , i'll definetly take it on board its hard to make my mind up i love the rock solid feel steady on the road and awsome power for overtaking i have on the rocket .

Maybee the 700 might be a bit too much of a drop , , I definetly want lighter , but thinking about it , the 650 v strom is not a 2 up bike , i consider it a bit underpowered for 2

·
Registered
404 Posts
Plus the 700 is chain drive vs shaft 1300.. Plus more room to add Long distance stuff on the 1300,, I just had a murphskits electronic cruise control installed last night along with a C/T run flat..

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi , I just went through the same conundrum, I wanted ABS and the ctx 700 was what got me to the dealer. I have a Honda CX-500 Custom that I was the originally purchased a few year ago ( 1980) so the ctx 700 seemed to have more power and I wanted ABS. The DCT is great for a new rider but not for me. And the ctx 700 dct abs was fine but the power, did not impress, ( less than my CX500C) and overall the CTX 1300 Deluxe was the real deal. The weight is the major deference but once you are moving the CTX 1300 is a joy to ride.

MadMatt

·
Registered
117 Posts
I am new to riding. I've been riding two years this coming Aug 2016. I have about 6500 miles under my buttocks. My first bike was the CTX700. It fit very well. It did not intimidate me and I liked the fact it was an automatic. In July, not even one year of owning it, I was wanting to move up, more power. That's when I stepped up to the CTX13Hunit. I am glad I did it the way I did.

·
Registered
822 Posts
When you start shopping you'll find the 1300 PRICED only a couple Thousand Dollars higher than the 700. Some Standard models on eBay have been1/2 price for New bikes.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts