CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I sort of jumped into the forum without an intro, sorry. Reason,I by chance stopped by a Honda Dealer I never go to in the Dallas area and saw he had 7K off the sticker on 2014 CTX1300s. This got my interest. I really was not in the market, especially for the CTX didn't like the looks of the front but looks better @ that price. I jumped on this forum and asked a question or two with plenty of help. Thanks.

Me: I am 66 years old Army Brat (once a Brat always a Brat) and proud of it so where am I "from"? Good question. Originally from near Cincinnati, after 12 years moved to Lawton, OK, where I lived for 36 years except for 3 years in Germany there I graduated from Baumholder American HS then went to two years of college at the U of Maryland, Munich Campus. Moved to the Dallas area 18 years ago. Through my life I have had many vocations. The one I was able to say I retired from was a math teacher. Still have the wife working though. :smileygarden_de_ban

Motorcycles: At 16 I had a 1960 something 2-stroke little Harley. After returning from Germany I acquired a '68 BSA Lightning 650. A few years after selling it I bought a 3 cylinder 2-stroke, Suzuki 500. Keeping the 500 I bought a '80 Suzuki 850 loaded for the day and ready for my cross country trip. Didn't happen. Sold the 500, got married, family, sold the 850 and was without a motorcycle for 26 years when in 2008 at 59 I realized it was motorcycle time and my long over due road trip.

Presently I ride a '07 VTX1300R I bought new in '08. I really like this motorcycle. I have made enough comfort mods to be able to ride long distances several days in a row.

Buying this motorcycle is a story in itself but I'll spare you. A short camping trip with a lot of day rides and an Iron Butt Association Saddle Sore 1000 (1000 miles in under 24 hrs) ride and I was ready for the big one. In 2009 it was a 5600 mile trip in 16 days through 11 states. I have the addiction now.

I am a long distance rider. I have ridden this motorcycle 111,000 miles to 49 states + DC and 8 provinces during the 7 years I have owned it. Last summer I could not ride for 10 weeks because of an eye problem so my bucket list fell behind. Made up for it this year.

I just finished a 9000 mile trip to Seattle; Hyder,AK; the Yukon; Yellowknife, Northwest Territory; Jasper, Banff, and Glacier National Parks for almost 9,000 miles in 18 days (15 riding) and completing a Saddle Sore 2000 (2000 miles under 48 hrs) going to Seattle, a Saddle Sore 1000, and a Bun Burner 1500 (1500 miles under 36 hrs) on the way home just missing the SS2000 Gold by 100 miles and an hour short.

I'll let you know if I end up a CTX1300 owner.

Reactions: bob

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Wooohoooo,
Another rider that finds the seat with two wheels as wonderful as the trip itself. Quite a few accomplishments for bragging rights.
You and kniterider are ahead of me with saddle time accomplishments.
So is she (Your bride) still working so her butt don't suffer from riding with you???????
You'll find the CTX stock seat more comfortable than the stock VTX.
I did find my UltimateX (On the VTXR) was better than stock CTX though.
After hearing you & bob talk about camping, it's got me thinking about it again.
Camping in motels sure is nice though.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wooohoooo,
Another rider that finds the seat with two wheels as wonderful as the trip itself. Quite a few accomplishments for bragging rights.
You and kniterider are ahead of me with saddle time accomplishments.
So is she (Your bride) still working so her butt don't suffer from riding with you???????
You'll find the CTX stock seat more comfortable than the stock VTX.
I did find my UltimateX (On the VTXR) was better than stock CTX though.
After hearing you & bob talk about camping, it's got me thinking about it again.
Camping in motels sure is nice though.
Yes the CTX seat feels great on my bottom side. I assumed I'd get a real custom made seat on my next one but if it is the CTX I don't think I'll need it.

When I broke the news to my bride I would be buying a motorcycle (hoping she didn't go see an attorney) she was so relieved that my big announcement wasn't that our oldest daughter was moving back in, she didn't care what I bought but she gave me three orders, don't ask her to ride, take the safety course, and wear a helmet. No problem. I wish she did ride but my alone time is great too.

I still like to camp in nice places in nice weather where I can stay for at least two nights but when on the move it is a pain since a person must carry so much more stuff and it takes longer at overnight stops. Hotels are costly so I try to soften the blow to the bank account by camping some on long trips. I set out planning on 2 out of 3 nights in a tent but end up 1 out of 4, if that, so I am almost done with camping unless it is in one spot. Even the not so great hotels are pretty nice to chill in the AC after a hot day in the saddle or a day of rain and no hassle of the tent.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts