CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a CTX1300 and really like it. But it's a standard since there wasnt a Deluxe available. Is the audio package worth the $900 ? Is it useable?

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
I bought the deluxe. I'm not sure that the sound system is worth $900, but I will tell you that, without the taller windshield, you will have trouble hearing your music at highway speeds. With the tall shield, there is no issue at all. I use the sound system just about every time I ride, either with a USB thumb drive or linked to my phone with a streaming music service. Now that I am used to having it, I would rather not do without it. I also like how it links to my Sena headset, but since my phone can too its sort of useless. Bottom line: I love the bike's sound system, but I'm not sure I love it $900 worth. I got the Deluxe as much for the ABS as all the other upgrades combined.

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
the bluetooth audio is one of the things I like best! I stream either Pandora or Spotify, and the tunes make the ride enjoyable for me.

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
See, now I'm in a moral quandary. Thinking about the audio system, it is indeed one of the things I like best about this bike too, Vox. Is there anyone out there who bought the standard model and later added the audio package? I would be very interested to see what they have to say.

·
Super Moderator
5,723 Posts
I didn't really care if I had the audio or not. But like @shane, it is nice since it's there. I bought the Deluxe just to get the ABS/TC and figured I was willing to spend the extra just for that. The other options, like audio and self cancelling turn signals, were just fluff to me. I can turn off the turn signals myself (did that on the last 2 bikes all the time). I have a Scala Q2 headset that this bike does not BT to (older headset so older BT spec). I listen to FM radio around town all the time and don't need the bike audio for that. I also have my Q2 set up to take MP3 input from a music player so don't need bike audio for that either. But when travelling on moto camping trips I'll sometimes turn on the music from my SD card in the USB plug and can hear it through the speakers just fine... since I have it.
Oh, and I do prefer the blacked out features more too. But I the ABS/TC is what I figured was worth the extra jingle. I wouldn't spend even half that on paint or audio or any other fluff feature.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Im on the fence on pulling the trigger. A bike like this is new for me. I come from a background of sport bikes and cafe racers where it was thought it was a sacrilege to have a radio and the best audio was the tone of the engine.
Long story short now I have my fast loud bikes and the CTX is like my marathon bike and oddly an audio system isn't seeming so bad in this situation. But the question is the audio worth over just dropping the money on a good bluetooth helmet or filling in the blanks on my dashboard? Lol sounds silly but it's true.
Is the audio system loud enough at highway speeds with a good windshield? Is the audio on the CTX do the same job as a bluetooth helmet?

·
Registered
279 Posts
I bought a standard just for the reason that I have never had a radio on a bike
and if I wanted one later kicker makes a great little Bluetooth system
for like 200-250 dollars
I just didn't think I would miss what I never had
a lot of you guys come off goldwings with all kinds of that stuff
and likely would not have it any other way I think its cool we had a choice
the newer version I would bet will only have all the extras

·
Registered
110 Posts
I have the audio and the tall Honda screen. The audio works well for me at speeds less than 60 mph. Over 60 I need to turn the volume up in order to hear, and somehow I don't think the rest of the world wants to hear my favorite music, so I don't use it on the highway. It's kind of nice to have, but I don't think I would have added it if it hadn't come bundled on the deluxe model. I was more interested in the ABS and self-cancelling turn signals. I haven't looked it up, but if adding the audio system costs $900 I wouldn't do it. There are too many other accessories or gear I would use the money for. I have a friend who uses an MP3 player and ear buds to listen to his tunes. Low tech, but cost effective and gets the job done for him.

·
Super Moderator
5,723 Posts
I should add to my post from earlier. I know a lot of guys on the ST-Owners forum. Just like you, they are from sports and sport touring backgrounds and experience. Most of them have added a BT helmet headset and connect to their GPS, or phone, or mp3 players to listen to tunes on the long runs. They don't miss having anything on the bike itself for this. But they have found that once they experience having tunes available on a long ride they don't want to go back to not having that available. That said, I would still agree with what most others have said. Is it worth the extra cost just for the audio? Definitely not, there are many other much less expensive ways to get that if you really want it. But, you will have to decide if the extra is worth having ABS/TC or not. Don't bring the audio into the decision if you don't know that you really want audio... or just really cannot stand to have a blank button on the left. To me that was irrelevant. If you don't think you need audio, and you're not really feeling the need to have ABS, then go Standard. You can always add BT stereo tunes for much less later and not miss a thing. No everyone wants or likes ABS on a bike and there are many skilled riders who would never have it. Some of us are not so skilled so feel it helps us.

BTW- I have listened to tunes on the bike speakers, but only sometimes. I would much rather listen in my BT headset. Most of the time on a longer ride across the state I just turn it off and listen to the music of the engine.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Richard,

I purchased the non-deluxe version since I didn't want the self cancelling turn signals, and with linked brakes, I was ok without the ABS. I did add the audio system when working the deal and it is worth the money. $900, here is $785 and free shipping. It as an easy hook-up if you have the service manual, mainly de-paneling is the difficult part.

Honda Genuine Accessories CTX1300 Audio System Bluetooth Enabled | eBay

I always like the integrated factory look, and I pair the system to my cell phone while using the USB to charge the phone while I ride. It's good, the sound is enough with the tall windshield, the display integrates your song titles, etc. The only thing is, if you have an incoming call, you can't answer it.

Which brings me to the point of saving money and having music. I purchased a bluetooth helmet headset for $135, and it also pairs to my cell phone AND if I have an incoming call or if I want to make an outgoing call, I can voice command a call. It also will pair together, this is in a daisy chain style pairing to other units, but serves as an intercom and sounds good.

Since I use my CTX 1300 like a utility vehicle, I like that I can jump on the bike, turn the ignition on, hit the audio button and be playing music from the USB drive via the speakers. It's all what convenience is about, and once in a while I will drive without a helmet but with a baseball cap on, and that is what I like about the installed audio system. I have owned a plethora of bikes, and will say that although not a music junkie at all, I have really liked having a radio system on board.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I like my audio on the deluxe but the self cancelling turn signals are very important.

I would of paid $4-$500 more for a cruise control though.

·
Premium Member
1,069 Posts
Like Bob, I bought the Deluxe RED for ABS and TC.

Didn't have audio on my prior motorcycle. I have turned on the CTX audio several times since I started riding this machine. Each time I turn it off after a few songs. It's boring compared to the experience of riding. Hard to hear at 50mph+. And not enough audio range to satisfy me.

That said, before trying to save $100 installing it yourself, consider whether your insurance covers options high enough to include $800 for this alone. Mine covers $3,000 in options, so it would cover the optional radio. And read the service manual to make sure you feel up to the task.

In any case, buy the motorcycle!

·
Registered
406 Posts
Might consider the motocello aftermarket system. It sounds better and has many more options than the stock ctx1300 deluxe system AND IS CHEAPER

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Like Bob, I bought the Deluxe RED for ABS and TC.

Didn't have audio on my prior motorcycle. I have turned on the CTX audio several times since I started riding this machine. Each time I turn it off after a few songs. It's boring compared to the experience of riding. Hard to hear at 50mph+. And not enough audio range to satisfy me.

That said, before trying to save $100 installing it yourself, consider whether your insurance covers options high enough to include $800 for this alone. Mine covers $3,000 in options, so it would cover the optional radio. And read the service manual to make sure you feel up to the task.

In any case, buy the motorcycle!
If you ever wanted to take off your audio and sell it I might be your Huckleberry. :cool:

·
Premium Member
1,069 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I guess you don't know Doc Holliday. :350x700px-LL-66dd6d

What I meant was if you don't use it and want to take out the system I'd be willing to purchase it...

·
Registered
81 Posts
My two cents... I have the deluxe only because of the ABS offering and it's the heaviest bike I've ever owned. Last summer, a coworker was seriously injured while on his Suzuki bagger because he locked up at 50mph. Thankfully he was okay after 4 months on disability, but it spooked me a little. I would have purchased just for the ABS, so the audio was a bonus. The shorty stock windscreen was useless to me, and I could not enjoy the audio if I was going any faster than 40-50 mph. However, once I got the tall Honda wind screen, I was able to enjoy even at highway speeds. In fact, even my wife can enjoy the audio at 65 mph when two up. I have two helmets, an HJC 3/4 face that I use to commute, and a Shoei full face for long rides. Even with the full face, the music is clear enough to enjoy at 70 mph.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Update: I broke down and bought the audio system for the CTX. Retail was 875$ but the dealer discounted it to $700. However they're saying 4 hours labor. This little radio is pretty pricy but hope it's worth it. :)

·
Registered
446 Posts
You'll love it. I did the same thing because I didn't want the other deluxe features, just the radio..dealing with BT audio sucks.
The CTX1300 audio system doesn't actually include a radio (be that AM/FM/XM or CB or any kind of broadcast radio receiver) and is actually using BT. :)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts