CTX 1300 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Honda CTX1300
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I had already posted this, but after a search, I guess not. I must share my discovery. I went on a two-up 45 mile ride last night and confirmed my suspicion, our CTX forks self-heal.
My complaint of the forks cracking over each bump has not happened again over the last 300 miles. My initial ride home after buying this bike was 450 miles, snapping my hands with each bump, completely unacceptable and unsafe. It felt like the neck bearings were not tightened or the forks were bottoming out. I know some of us experience this and others not. And that is where the clue lies.
It's my theory if the CTX sits for a given amount of time, the fluid leaks past the fork valves, thus the next ride is jarring, collapsing the forks and bottoming out when hitting a bump. After riding for a bit of miles, in my case about 500, the fluid works it's way back up through the valves and the forks react as Honda intended.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Interesting theory. I normally ride at least 2-3 times per week, some long and some commutes to work. I recently had to take a 3+ week hiatus and when starting up again this week I noticed more harshness. 3rd commute this morning it felt normal. Could have been the bike, me, or both.

·
Registered
19 Posts
My bike sat on the dealership's showroom floor for at least 6 weeks. My test drive, the shocks were pretty bad. I've now put around 100 miles on her and the ride is improving. You may be on to something.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Just replaced the tires on my bike, the new "softer" sidewalls are really making a big difference in ride quality. Don't know how she will react when I hit the first major pothole but train tracks didn't faze her. :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Airhead78, I installed Bridgestone Excedra F on the front and G on the rear. My reference to softer sidewalls was referring to new tires compared to stiff 8 year old tires. Not that these are special soft sidewall tires.

Reactions: Stlburd2
1 - 8 of 8 Posts