CTX 1300 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last couple of days my CTX link has been redirected to a Xfinity warning site "Looking Out for You" followed by "Protected Browsing is Enabled and has blocked this content because it's suspicious". Calling Xfinity, they said something has been changed at the forum end.

I was able to get to the website by googling "CTX1300 forum not secure" and several member posts were listed. Clicked on one of those and walked right in.... but when selecting the "Home" link I get the same warning page.

Any info on this issue ? Going to try and go back to the google search links and see if there are and work arounds listed.

Even now the URL bar has a "not secure" warning in front of the URL.

·
Registered
833 Posts
I have Xfinity in N/E Indiana, no problems here.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
@SLP ,
This site, along with about 400 other forums, is owned by Verticalscope Inc in Toronto Canada. They do not implement secure protocol on most of their websites.
The password you enter to log in to this site is transmitted in the open for any sniffer to see.

All popular browsers will show some type of warning in or near the address bar to alert you.
Some ISP are starting to implement security to stop access to sites like this to protect customers.
Google stated last year that there will be a period of warning, then the Chrome browser will start blocking these sites also (No timeline stated).
Firefox and Edge also display the warning indicating they are joining this movement.

An option that may work is to use an alternate dns server such as Google or OpenDNS.
You can DuckDuckGo (or Google) https for more info. Here is the Wiki summary: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTTPS

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sure is a weak "protocol" if you can just search for the forum and click a listed post to get in.

Just deleted my link in the tool bar and dragged another one in from a post. As long as I stay away from the "Home" link at the top left everything works fine :)

·
Super Moderator
5,411 Posts
I guess I haven't noted that pop-up warning yet 'cuz I always jump right into the Forums link at the top tool bar and my shortcut is to that link. I haven't looked at the Home page for a long time now. That said I do see a block in front of the web address that tells me this site is not secure.

One of the major reasons NOT to post a phone number or email address in normal form directly in any post.

·
Premium Member
225 Posts
I have Xfinity and no problems with access or with receiving any message with a warning at this website. I also get no pop-ups when simply browsing content. With any of three browsers. I do get editing pop-ups--although only with an unrestricted browser which I only use when editing a post.

Is it possible that you have inadvertently acquired some adware that is redirecting links?

An online search reveals no association with Xfinity and "Looking Out for You".

There is no website that can't be hacked. This will remain true for as long as the web is built the way it is: to the advantage of advertisers (the revenue providers) and data collectors.

There is no browser that can't be hacked. Same reason.

VerticalScope has been hacked AT LEAST twice, losing 45 million user records. Don't know what user data they collect. Change your password. If you use your password in more than one place, change them all. Look into KeePass.

·
Premium Member
979 Posts
@ctxrider is correct. Too many accounts and passwords. I use Norton's Identity Safe as a password manager, where I [mostly] store unique credentials. I have over 170 accounts in there, most of which I use only occasionally.

Oh, and brush your teeth after every meal. Get one of those Bluetooth electronic brushes. Now you need another password.:rolleyes:

All right, true story. I just bought two Ember BT coffee cups, to keep our hot drinks at the perfect temps. Two more accounts.

·
Administrator
294 Posts
This is a known issue. Short version - the site is as secure as it's ever been. There is an extra layer of security that is getting added in the near future that will make that warning go away.

Longer Version: that warning is letting you know that the site doesn't use Https, a security feature that mostly protects the site from a MIM attack (or Man in the Middle). A MIM is when someone is intercepting what you are typing, as you type it. Since most everything that is being typed here is going to a public forum that can be read by anyone, and there is zero eCommerce going on, it's never been something that made a lot of sense for us to protect against. However, now that Firefox has started flagging sites that don't use the feature, and Google Chrome will be doing the same.

Adding Https to the site has always been on the "to-do" list, but it's being pumped up in priority, mostly to keep the site's reputation as a safe place. No official ETA on that though. We have a very large network and few other company-wide rollouts in progress right now. We don't have an exact ETA on that but we will keep you posted.

Thanks for your patience on this.

Cheers,
Nate

1 - 8 of 8 Posts