CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok folks....this one is a bit strange so I'd like to hear if anyone else has experienced the same. Just like everyone, I adjusted my handlebars down so that I could see the mirrors. Then after some long rides I started having pain on the inside of my left elbow...classic golfer's elbow even though I only play golf about one time a year. Then it started to get worse and showed up on even short rides. I analyzed my arm position and it seemed correct: arms relaxed and bent slightly. Got so bad I was stretching my arm about every 3 miles. So...I tried an experiment. I moved the handlebars back up so that now my arms are fully extended when I ride. I took a long trip through the countryside on Sunday and the elbow problem vanished, gone, kaput. Of course my mirrors are not so clear now but I have nice ones on the bars so it is not a problem. Is it possible that the much maligned CTX handlebars are more ergonomically correct in the up position, the position suggested by factory specs?:confused:

·
Registered
406 Posts
When you have the handle bars down and NOT using a set of pullbacks like i have the handgrip section of those whacko bars twist your wrists at the wrong angle for long rides

·
Super Moderator
2,174 Posts
I think an appropriate bar position will vary greatly from one rider to another. I've got my bars pretty low and I've never had any elbow pain -- or any other discomfort for that matter. The only thing I wish I could do is drop the grip angle more, but that can't be done without a fairly radical bar change.

·
Registered
406 Posts
I think an appropriate bar position will vary greatly from one rider to another. I've got my bars pretty low and I've never had any elbow pain -- or any other discomfort for that matter. The only thing I wish I could do is drop the grip angle more, but that can't be done without a fairly radical bar change.

I am waiting for HELI-BARS to get their butt in gear. I had them on my last wing.. wonderful and alomost infinitely adjustable

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
I am waiting for HELI-BARS to get their butt in gear. I had them on my last wing.. wonderful and alomost infinitely adjustable
I looked at those, but thought they would look to out of place. You by chance have an old pic of that wing showing the Heli-Bars?
I'm running out of heat and money this time of year!!!!

·
Registered
406 Posts
I had them on an earlier bike and loved them for my longer rides. They now come in black and chrome But I dont have any pics,, BUT they do have quite a few on website

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
The ones on the website (that I saw) were not good views. I found a pic on Rider Mag that showed from the riders view point. Looked better than I expected.

·
Registered
764 Posts
I had Heli Bars on my first ST1100.

Here is an album of photos I took of that bike when I was getting quotes to have it painted. A couple of the photos show the bars.

Paint This Honda - TennesseeSmith

The Heli Bars are adjustable in just about every way you can think of. They didn't look great. They sort of looked like they were cobbled into place. I took the plastic shield off the steering head when I added the Heli Bars. Of course I wasn't worried about how the bike looks. I was only interested in performance.

A quick image search for "helibars" on Google turned up a lot of nice photos for the fully adjustable Heli Bars as well as the Heli Bars for clip on setups.
https://www.google.com/search?safe=...edr...0...1ac.1.60.img..0.18.1165.OuuvXfTkd0E

·
Super Moderator
5,723 Posts
That's why I also adjusted the reservoirs, and thus levers, forward and down after lowering the bars. This improved my view of the mirrors much more than just adjusting the bars down alone and kept my hands/grip in the right ergonomic position for me. My arms are relatively extended with a slight bend of the elbow and my wrists are just the same as if I was just laying my hands over the grips. As was said, it will be different for every rider. I found I didn't need to shake my arms nearly as much, if at all, as I did with my ST.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Flytrap
I've been getting pain at the back of my elbows. Is that what you are referring too by golfer's elbow? I also would like better visibility on the mirrors which is why I had them lowered.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yep. Rox antivibration risers fixed the problem, at least for now, but I'm still looking into changing out the handlebars.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just picked up my new ctx1300 today and the bars are high but when I tried to lower them the top clamp seemed like it was made to the handlebars. Do your have to pry it loose somehow in order to rotate the handlebar? I don't want to damage the bike.

Thanks,

Jim

·
Super Moderator
5,723 Posts
The bar should not be "made" to the bar. But it may need to be "broken" loose.
You sound like you already have the following information but here it is anyway just in case (or for others who may not have it)...
There should be 4 caps covering the bar clamp bolts. You have to carefully remove the caps and then loosen the bolts. Usually loosen the rear bolts first and tighten those same bolts last. Don't need to loosen them much to allow the bar to move, but you may have to loosen more initially to break the bar loose if it's stuck. Then tighten just enough to hold the bar yet move it to the desired position. Then tighten a little at a time the front and rear evenly alternating corners at first, finishing with the rear bolts (so I've been told). If you have a torque wrench they should be 30 N-m (22 lb-ft). Adjust for best mirror view and comfort... or some compromise of those with a preference to comfort (mirrors can be added if needed per other posts on the forum).

Oh, there should be a dimple stamped in the back side of the bar next to the right side of the clamp to align with the line between upper and lower parts of the clamp. But I'm thinking Honda has that alignment wrong if the bars end up too high.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Bob is correct. Loosen up the top clamp bolts and then pry the clamp apart with a screwdriver. The handlebars will then be free to move down. I put a big towel across the tank in case the bars suddenly drop down. There is a lot of weight there.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I don't get elbow pain but my right arm and hand goes numb. I've tried sitting back, sitting up straighter, sitting closer but they all don't seem to make much difference. The left arm is fine. I'm going to try moving the bar up and down to see what happens. When I shake out my arm, I'm good again for about 10-15 minutes. Obviously an ergonomics issue, but don't know exactly what it is.

·
Registered
279 Posts
as for the left elbow
it gets me to
something about the reach to the bar
don't know what it is

·
Super Moderator
5,723 Posts
Cramp buster is what does it for me. Better throttle control and a more relaxed grip due to the CB1 allows me to not have any issues. I also don't hold the grips straight on but at an angle, like a tennis racquet (NOT like a baseball bat). Keeps my wrists straight with my arm and not bent like some here experience. Also, you want the bars adjusted so your forearms are level with the ground.
I grip like this:

Not like this:

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Again Bob is correct. But I would add the following. I put my large CB in the middle of the throttle. That way I have a whole range of grip positions. On the highway I can slide my hand all the way on to the bar end weight and just hold the CB with my thumb. Or in town I can grab it more or less normal. Or I can do anything in between. These problems with the wrist and hand are not so much problems with the position but with the repetitive position and repetitive motion. Keep mixing it up to avoid the injuries associated with repetitive motions. And finally, yes.....a loose relaxed grip is better than a tight grip. However, this is a difficult one until you get comfortable with the bike and driving in traffic. I'm at the point now where on long stretches I just rest my left wrist on the grip and let me open hand rest on the clutch lever. I'm still looking for a good cheap throttle lock but I have heated grips so that may be a challenge.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts