CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone replaced their tire/s on the ctx1300 yet? I have about 1400 miles on the oem Bridgestones and it looks to me like the rear has about that left in it. I measured the tread depth when new at .220" on the rear and .150" on the front. Rear tire has .130" at the lowest point (wear bars). I am concerned about this because the wife and I are riding to Arizona from Arkansas at the end of August. I don't want to replace the tires mid trip. Any advice as to replacement tires would be appreciated. Btw, I am 70 years old and ride the bike very conservatively. Tire pressures checked daily and are set to factory recommended pressures. 36 psi front and 42 psi rear. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I have 3100 miles on my stock Dunlops ( I guess they used Dunlops too) and mine are oddly perfect.
What kind of roads you ride on and the heat can determine wear . It's funny because I thought the Bridgestones were supposed to be better...

If you're gonna do a nice trip like that and even have an inkling you might need another set of tires change them. You don't wanna be "that guy". Lol

·
Super Moderator
5,721 Posts
There are a few here who have burned through both front and rear in less than 6000-8000 miles. I am getting close to the front but think there may yet be a few thousand miles for that one. I have over 12000 miles on both mine and the rear looks really good still. Maybe another 3000 miles to go for that tire. Sounds like you may be a rider who likes to ride harder than you think, or perhaps the roads in your area are just really wearing on tires? I don't know. My CTX1300A came with Dunlop tires. Maybe that's one difference to note. Air pressure will also wear out a tire very fast. I keep the front at about 40 psi and rear at 42 psi as often as I get around to checking. My front tire seems to hold air really well but the rear tire needs a boost every time I check it and usually in between also. I check every week and sometimes mid week for the rear tire. Honda factory recommendations on pressure are to ensure a softer ride, not longer wear. I am fine with the ride at higher pressures in front and like the extended wear I usually get. But then, I usually find I go twice as far on the same tires as many riders I go with. If your rear tire is worn that much I would replace before your trip for sure. Either that or have a tire waiting for you in AZ. Can't really answer to why the rear tire on your bike is worn so fast otherwise.

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
You are right to feel concerned about your tires prior to an August trip to AZ. HOT, HOT, HOT, unless you are only traveling to Flagstaff or other high elevation northern climes. Wanna have good tires for those temps.

Bruce
Back in the coolest part of the cool Pacific NW.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
I just returned from the shop having CIIs put on. My front tire had 1500-200 left on it, but the rear could probably lasted another 4-5 thousand. He came out and asked me it I really wanted to change it.
I've never had a front tire wear faster than the rear like this before.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I ride roads that are mostly twisties and speeds of around 55 mph. I have had a total of five new H.D.'s, with Donlop oem tires and several new Yamaha, Kawasaki and other Honda bikes over the last 15 or so years. It seems that I have had bad tire wear with Dunlops and now possibly Bridgestone. I have had heavy road bikes as well as lighter street bikes, it seems whatever the factory tires are they are very cheap. Usually after market tires like Michelin Commander II and some Kenda tires have done well for me and the wife. Dunlop E III's have been good as well. The roads here are chip and seal or asphalt. My wife has a 2007 Vtx with 30,000 miles on it and she is getting 15 plus thousand on a front Michelin Commander II and 14 plus thousand on the rear Kenda Kruz 673. This is the third set of each on her bike and her previous bike. As another poster has suggested, I may need to have a fresh rear tire waiting for me in Phoenix. Anyone have any suggestions? This is the first bike I have had that have radial tires. Thanks to all who have replied.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was under the impression that the Michelin Commander II's were bias belted tires???? Is it ok to replace the oem tires with non radial tires?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Bob, I am aware that the roads around the State of Iowa are mostly cement and not the chip and seal that are common here. I lived in Des Moines the first 27 years of my life and have Family there today. My youngest Brother had a new Yamaha Roadliner 1900 that came with the same Bridgestone radial tire on the rear and needed replacement at 3600 miles. This is probably why I have such concern about the rear tire on my bike. Btw I get to Des Moines several times a year, maybe we can grab a cup of coffee next time I'm in town. I would love to get 10-12 thousand miles on any factory tire but it seems that it's not meant to be.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
I was under the impression that the Michelin Commander II's were bias belted tires???? Is it ok to replace the oem tires with non radial tires?
Of course. You can replace both with bias if you choose to.
And I do have a Commander II radial on the rear, but bias on the front.
and yes, that is ok too.

·
Premium Member
505 Posts
Myself, I would change it while you are home with your dealer. However, that having been said, I left for California three weeks ago from Wisconsin. Had 6000 miles on my "new" CTX1300. Was traveling one up but carrying gear for my passenger. Tried to stay off the superslab as much as I could. By the time reached my destination, Russell Daylong, I could tell I really didn't want to return without at least a new rear. Rode up into Oregon from our destination two up. Our first contact looking for a new rear tire was Honda World at Coos Bay. Gary was very helpful, but didn't have a rear in stock. But he called Beaverton in Portland. They called back and talked to me . They too didn't have one. Had the Dunlap in stock but it was twice the price of the Bridgestone. They ordered one out for next day delivery and on the following day installed it for us. Both dealers and people we had contact with were extremely helpful, and got us on the road as soon as they could. I noticed the chip coat that was used from the middle of Iowa thru the mountain states eats tires much quicker than Those in Wisconsin.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I have the stock Dunlops and my wear so far (7400 miles) is like Bob described. Clearly of the factory tire options these seem to be the superior tire?

·
Registered
406 Posts
My front tire self self destructed halfway thru Arizona this past September with about 4500 miles on it... just barely made it to a dealer to replace it.. Air pressures were at max recommended at all times, I had the garmin 590 with real time TPMS. But the stock tires could not handle the 150 degree road temps .. My rear tire was fine even with bike packed like a mule for a month long camp. BUT rear tire was one of those dreaded crash and burn run flats..

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ctx tire wear

Myself, I would change it while you are home with your dealer. However, that having been said, I left for California three weeks ago from Wisconsin. Had 6000 miles on my "new" CTX1300. Was traveling one up but carrying gear for my passenger. Tried to stay off the superslab as much as I could. By the time reached my destination, Russell Daylong, I could tell I really didn't want to return without at least a new rear. Rode up into Oregon from our destination two up. Our first contact looking for a new rear tire was Honda World at Coos Bay. Gary was very helpful, but didn't have a rear in stock. But he called Beaverton in Portland. They called back and talked to me . They too didn't have one. Had the Dunlap in stock but it was twice the price of the Bridgestone. They ordered one out for next day delivery and on the following day installed it for us. Both dealers and people we had contact with were extremely helpful, and got us on the road as soon as they could. I noticed the chip coat that was used from the middle of Iowa thru the mountain states eats tires much quicker than Those in Wisconsin.
I have the stock Dunlops and my wear so far (7400 miles) is like Bob described. Clearly of the factory tire options these seem to be the superior tire?
My front tire self self destructed halfway thru Arizona this past September with about 4500 miles on it... just barely made it to a dealer to replace it.. Air pressures were at max recommended at all times, I had the garmin 590 with real time TPMS. But the stock tires could not handle the 150 degree road temps .. My rear tire was fine even with bike packed like a mule for a month long camp. BUT rear tire was one of those dreaded crash and burn run flats..
Seems the general opinion is to replace the tire prior to my vacation.
I think I will follow this advice, thanks for all your responses.
I just installed the centerstand on my bike today, what a treat that was. Anyway that should make removing the rear tire a bit easier. I have never had a lot of confidence in the front tire so will probably just replace both.

Thanks again folks for the sage advice.

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
I just discovered a nail in my rear tire. It's firmly imbedded and I have not gotten any leaks, but I'm getting ready to do my longest trip yet over Labor Day weekend and I don't want to have to worry about this. After reading comments here and doing some research on my own, today I asked my dealer to order Bridgestone Excedra Max radials, both front and rear. I have only 6500 miles on the bike, so I probably could get more wear out of the stock Dunlops, but since I'm replacing the rear one anyway I decided to do both.

I'll let you know how well they work. The comments I found indicated that they work great in the rain and seem to hold better when cornering.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ctx tire wear

I just discovered a nail in my rear tire. It's firmly imbedded and I have not gotten any leaks, but I'm getting ready to do my longest trip yet over Labor Day weekend and I don't want to have to worry about this. After reading comments here and doing some research on my own, today I asked my dealer to order Bridgestone Excedra Max radials, both front and rear. I have only 6500 miles on the bike, so I probably could get more wear out of the stock Dunlops, but since I'm replacing the rear one anyway I decided to do both.

I'll let you know how well they work. The comments I found indicated that they work great in the rain and seem to hold better when cornering.
My Brother has used those on his Roadliner with ok results as far as tread life, I don't know about handling or wet performance. Trying to find really good and reasonably priced motorcycle tires is quite a challenge.

·
Registered
279 Posts
for what its worth my front is like brand new still no cupping
and the rear is cupped some
at 2k I thought I would need a rear at 4k but shes hanging in there
I will probably get 6k out of the rear
I would not have guessed the front would stay this nice
my bmw c650gt front was so bad at 4k I couldn't believe it
and that's what I expected with this bike
im at about 3700 miles is that about what you guys are seeing with the fronts or is it the new forks helping it out

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts

Make you feel better. Took a screw in the rear tire at 400 miles. :mad:

Had to replace the tire.
Wanted to charge it to the wife's budget. :smileygarden_de_ban
Then remembered she doesn't have her own.:(
Maybe yours does. Just an idea....

1 - 20 of 28 Posts