CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I've had the CTX for a few weeks now and am really feeling comfortable with it.

I traded in my 2010 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic for the CTX. I wouldn't really call the CTX competition for the Ultra Classic as they are quite different animals but thought I would jot down my thoughts on how I find it in comparison.

What's better on the CTX in my opinion:
- Handling - no comparison both one up and two up.
- Engine - again the CTX wins hands down.
- Braking - The Nissin brakes on the CTX are much better than the Brembo brakes on the HD.
- Reliability - I think we all know which bike will win here. :rolleyes:
- Passenger Comfort - My wife likes the CTX better.
- Wind Protection - Better (with tall windscreen)
- The CTX is MUCH easier to clean and I like to keep my bikes clean.
- Cost of Ownership - I think we all know again which is better here. :roll eyes:

What do I miss:

Well frankly.....nothing except the cruise control (never really used it much anyway) and the stereo on the HD was better although I'm quite pleased with the stereo on the CTX.

For the price HD are charging for their bikes they really should be much much better than they are in terms of reliability. The technology used to get the power from the engine to the rear wheel is antiquated and full of opportunities for things to go wrong. It's quite telling when a five year extended warranty for the CTX is about a third of the price of one for the HD (again I think we all know why that is).

The HD looks beautiful, the paint and finish is excellent, the dealerships look great but the cost of ownership and the anticipation of when / what will be the next thing to go wrong are not what I want out of my motorcycling experience. Every HD owner I've ever talked to has "a story" of breakdowns and issues and on all of the trips I've gone on it's most often the HD's that have issues (not including flats).
I have my story as well.....:eek:

When I got back into motorcycling quite a few years ago it seemed as though the only choices were Sport, Sport Touring or the cookie cutter V-Twins that are everywhere. I have always had "cruiser style" motorcycles but the options seemed quite limited.....sort of like same, same, same, same with nothing really unique of different......then a couple of months ago I discovered the CTX. It was what I was looking for.....different, four cylinder engine, comfortable riding position and better handling characteristics.

I purchased it with the trunk and tall windshield. I find the tall windshield really effective and the only time I have experienced any buffeting at all was with a very stiff and gusty cross wind.

Did I say I'm really happy with the CTX! :smiley-party0005:

Anyway....those are my thoughts for what they are worth.......

:ty:

·
Premium Member
2014 Honda CTX1300 Deluxe
1,053 Posts
Hey man!

Thanks for sharing. I came from a Fury to the CTX. Completely different riding experiences. So far I have had my CTX for just over a week and I have 500 miles on her. Love it!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Thanks for sharing I have 8,550 kilometers on my CTX and love it more all the time. Came from a 09 ST1300

Reactions: Croxy

·
Registered
229 Posts
Had my CTX1300 for a month now,and just coming up for the first service,I have been on holiday for two weeks.
Previous bike GL 1800 and I miss the presence of the Wing but at 74 yrs I had to go with something lighter.
I am quite happy with the CTX it does all I want it to do,but it's not a Wing and it's £1000 cheaper than the new Wing

·
Registered
3 Posts
Do you miss the 6 speed?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Do you miss the 6 speed?
Not with this bike....it's much different with the V4....it likes to rev a little more than the Vtwin. Very smooth motor. A much different experience to the HD....

·
Registered
229 Posts
My GL1800 had 5speed,I had a Triumph 955i with 6speed and always forgot the 6 gear.
So to answer your question no don't miss gear 6

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've owned 2 Goldwing 1800's and it always seemed like a 6th gear was needed.

·
Registered
92 Posts
To the OP you dont mention lower speed riding difference, like coming to a stop, or in a parking lot.

And the top heaviness between the two bikes.

As that is a very important difference.

I have gone from one top heavy bike to another lower CG bike.

The slow speed riding was Not very comfortable on the top heavy bike.
But much better on the lower CG bike.

I am very interested in the CTX1300 but the ST1100/ST1300 has a rep for being a little top heavy.

I am also looking at the New F6C Valkyrie I may have to get them both

·
Super Moderator
5,721 Posts
I just went from the ST1100 to my CTX1300. Used own a GW and a Burgman 650 too. The ST1100 was not really considered top heavy by some owners but I thought it was more than top heavy enough. My GW was a lower CG but still could be a monster to move around in a parking lot really slow. The Burgman was the lowest CG bike I owned... until now. This CTX1300 comes really close the low CG of a big scooter. I sit lower into it and coming to stops or slow speed riding is a cinch IMHO.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
To the OP you dont mention lower speed riding difference, like coming to a stop, or in a parking lot.

And the top heaviness between the two bikes.

As that is a very important difference.

I have gone from one top heavy bike to another lower CG bike.

The slow speed riding was Not very comfortable on the top heavy bike.
But much better on the lower CG bike.

I am very interested in the CTX1300 but the ST1100/ST1300 has a rep for being a little top heavy.

I am also looking at the New F6C Valkyrie I may have to get them both
While the Ultra was pretty good at slow speeds for such a large bike and if you feather the clutch and drag the rear brake even better, I find that the CTX is easier to ride at slow speed, is better balanced and rides like a bike that is lighter than it really is.....

I had a Kawasaki 1600 Nomad at one point and found that to be top heavy compared to the HD.

I would not consider the CTX to be top heavy.......

·
Registered
229 Posts
Yes I think the GL1800 could have done with a 6gear,and I am always trying to find another gear on the CTX it seems to rev quite freely probably be different with a pillion rider on.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts