CTX 1300 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I welcome your thoughts.

I traded a beloved Sportster (stage 1) for a CTX1300 to give my wife a better ride. Even with the CTX, she can't ride more than an hour and just isn't a riding enthusiast.

She encourages me to get a second, fun bike for myself. The CTX is Perfect in that Honda Way, yet doesn't give me the raw happiness I had with the Harley. I am 53, 5'5".

I wanted the Harley Bronx, but it was held back from production. The Buell 1125R appealed, but they're out of business. A couple '00 Honda Superhawks (V2) are available. A Ninja 600 sounds interesting.

I rode my first sportbike today, an '03 YZF R6 (I4, 6 speed) and got the surprise of my life. Unlike the Sportster and CTX, the sportbike rider's crouch is really aggressive. I learned how to use my knees, legs, and core to relieve pressure on my hands. I got used to being so far forward that the front wheel seemed just beneath me. Yet even at 80 mph I only reached 4,500-5,000 rpms; redline was 12-14000. :oops::oops: WOW. There was a lot more to go...

I came home admitting that the temptation to use such speed is probably best avoided. I like a good time, but I can easily cruise at 70-90 mph on the CTX and feel a lot safer and more comfortable. I can be a hero when I need to save a life; I don't need to act like one and lose my own.

Many of you have a lot more experience in the bike market. I would be grateful for any reflections on aging wisely and on great secondary bikes.

Thank you!

·
Registered
573 Posts
If raw, straight line speed is what you are after, then yes, you probably need another bike. But know this: my CTX has run 80mph in the 1/8 mile, and over 97mph in the 1/4 mile. Have time slips to prove that. If the fun you seek is carving canyons on twisty roads, I challenge you to keep working with the CTX. It will do a lot more than what you think it will! Members Traversing and HansenCTX can attest to this. It is quite satisfying to see the look on some crotch rocket riders’ faces when they find out a heavy bagger has been keeping up with them in the twisties! Part of the reason that I own this bike is just so I do not need to have more than one bike in the garage. My skills give out way before this bike’s ability does!

·
Registered
76 Posts
I welcome your thoughts.

I traded a beloved Sportster (stage 1) for a CTX1300 to give my wife a better ride. Even with the CTX, she can't ride more than an hour and just isn't a riding enthusiast.

She encourages me to get a second, fun bike for myself. The CTX is Perfect in that Honda Way, yet doesn't give me the raw happiness I had with the Harley. I am 53, 5'5".

I wanted the Harley Bronx, but it was held back from production. The Buell 1125R appealed, but they're out of business. A couple '00 Honda Superhawks (V2) are available. A Ninja 600 sounds interesting.

I rode my first sportbike today, an '03 YZF R6 (I4, 6 speed) and got the surprise of my life. Unlike the Sportster and CTX, the sportbike rider's crouch is really aggressive. I learned how to use my knees, legs, and core to relieve pressure on my hands. I got used to being so far forward that the front wheel seemed just beneath me. Yet even at 80 mph I only reached 4,500-5,000 rpms; redline was 12-14000. :oops::oops: WOW. There was a lot more to go...

I came home admitting that the temptation to use such speed is probably best avoided. I like a good time, but I can easily cruise at 70-90 mph on the CTX and feel a lot safer and more comfortable. I can be a hero when I need to save a life; I don't need to act like one and lose my own.

Many of you have a lot more experience in the bike market. I would be grateful for any reflections on aging wisely and on great secondary bikes.

Thank you!
I currently have only one bike, my CTX 1300, but if I were to get a second bike, I would look at something like a Triumph Bonneville. I have had test rides on a few different Triumphs, and they are great bikes, smooth, great handling, and plenty powerful.
Cheers,
Bruce

·
Registered
51 Posts
I welcome your thoughts.
Why don't you try an FJR 1300, it has a lot of comfort and it's fast. The riding position is forward but not as aggressive as a sports bike and the bike is not as heavy as perhaps a Concours 1400.

·
Registered
756 Posts
I think the Indian Scout made a great second bike to the CTX1300. I traded that one for a Niken GT. It's very sporty. I go too fast now. I might go with an Indian FTR when I get done with the Niken.

Other great second bikes I've had: 1979 Honda CX500C, 2012 Suzuki VStrom 650 ABS, and another CTX1300.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Why don't you try an FJR 1300, it has a lot of comfort and it's fast. The riding position is forward but not as aggressive as a sports bike and the bike is not as heavy as perhaps a Concours 1400.
I echo the FJR 1300. A friend of mine had one and I was amazed at its acceleration. He sold it, though, because he wanted something with a more comfortable long trip riding position. He got a Yamaha Venture.
Dan

·
Registered
357 Posts
Sounds like you are all over the map. Good for you! I was too when hunting for what ended up being my CTX. Probably a common among CTX riders. But, I am a one bike kinda guy, and the CTX is the best one bike for me for how I ride. I still love to get quite aggressive in the twisties and probably blessed that I am just slightly limited. Around town, commuting, cruising, and touring - nothing better. Have fun in your quest!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If raw, straight line speed is what you are after, then yes, you probably need another bike. But know this: my CTX has run 80mph in the 1/8 mile, and over 97mph in the 1/4 mile. Have time slips to prove that. If the fun you seek is carving canyons on twisty roads, I challenge you to keep working with the CTX. It will do a lot more than what you think it will! Members Traversing and HansenCTX can attest to this. It is quite satisfying to see the look on some crotch rocket riders’ faces when they find out a heavy bagger has been keeping up with them in the twisties! Part of the reason that I own this bike is just so I do not need to have more than one bike in the garage. My skills give out way before this bike’s ability does!
I agree that the CTX easily keeps us with other bikes. Its 0-60 time of 4.0 seconds is impressive, and was moreso when I tried a hard launch and felt the front got very, very light. :oops:

An alternate commute route includes blacktop twisties amid hills, and the CTX is most definitely capable in that area as well. I've scraped a peg a couple times, and really appreciated the low-end torque as it pulled hard through the curves without the high revs needed for a sportbike.

I work weekdays and weekends, and really have no one to ride with, so I can't compare with others in a live setting. Yet I would enjoy that very much.

You are wise to keep but one bike. I'm trying. ;)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I currently have only one bike, my CTX 1300, but if I were to get a second bike, I would look at something like a Triumph Bonneville. I have had test rides on a few different Triumphs, and they are great bikes, smooth, great handling, and plenty powerful.
Cheers,
Bruce
Bruce, thank you for the referral. I completely overlooked Triumph, and was gladdened to learn about the Thunderbird: 1700cc parallel twin , good handling, discontinued yet maybe being reintroduced. The Tbird would be a nice Harley alternative. However, comparing the CTX to a 2011 Thunderbird, I noticed the following (CTX vs. TB):

HP: 84 vs. 85 (some claim 97)
Torque: 78 vs.105 (some claim 115)
0-60: 4.0 sec vs. 4.8 (some claim 3.9)
1/4 mile: 12.8 sec vs. 12.0 (some claim 13.0)
Weight: 750 vs. 750

There really isn't much difference in performance. Naturally, the George Jetson sound of the CTX at low rpm's would differ considerably from the Thunderbird's idle, and likewise the high-rpm sound under acceleration would also differ.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I considered an FJR when I research and settled on the CTX. I'm 5'05" and, if I recall correctly, the FJR sat a bit high for me. At the dealer's, I sat on an F6 and found it just a bit too wide and tall for me to feel safely in control of it, and the 2020 GoldWing was clearly too big for me. The CTX was particularly comfortable.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sounds like you are all over the map. Good for you! I was too when hunting for what ended up being my CTX. Probably a common among CTX riders. But, I am a one bike kinda guy, and the CTX is the best one bike for me for how I ride. I still love to get quite aggressive in the twisties and probably blessed that I am just slightly limited. Around town, commuting, cruising, and touring - nothing better. Have fun in your quest!
I admit: I am all over the map. I was that way when I researched and finally found the CTX, too. :rolleyes: I research until my eyes bleed and can't take it anymore, yet by then I know the market and make a good decision.

I concur with the wisdom of limitation. A few days ago I rode a YZF R6 and realized that I would very likely be tempted to explore and use the horsepower. And that set off a reminder that limitation is the part of wisdom.

·
Registered
262 Posts
As mentioned by fbnewell1 I love following so called sports bikes through the twistys and seeing their amazement but be aware the pegs do scrape occasionally and you can get stood up mid corner which is very chilling and to be avoided. I had a ninja 900 for a while and was super fast and responsive but too tempting to use and lose the license or life and not comfortable over an hour. I tried a Shadow 750 and comfort in spades and good handling but lacking in power. Cue the lights and enter the CTX1300 and I'm a happy man and will probably keep this for the end of my riding time in the far distant future I hope. Hope you sort out your dilemma and keep on riding, even if you do ride on the wrong side of the road LOL.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I admit: I am all over the map. I was that way when I researched and finally found the CTX, too. :rolleyes: I research until my eyes bleed and can't take it anymore, yet by then I know the market and make a good decision.

I concur with the wisdom of limitation. A few days ago I rode a YZF R6 and realized that I would very likely be tempted to explore and use the horsepower. And that set off a reminder that limitation is the part of wisdom.
You have a nice combination of bikes, the CTX for serious touring duties, and the Sportster for zipping around town and shorter day rides. That is why I would like a Triumph Street Twin, or something else in that genre, as a light and manoeuvrable city bike, to supplement my CTX.
Cheers,
Bruce

·
Registered
28 Posts
Russ,
I was thinking the same thing about a year ago, really enjoy my CTX, I came from a V-Star 1100 custom. I rode that bike for 15 years. It wasn't until the last 3 where I was getting the power I wanted out of it thanks to all the bolt ons. I was used to that curiser riding position and instantly adopted the same on the CTX. For the first 2 years I have been riding it like that and honestly have always been a bit disappointed with the handling.
Then one day the lightbulb went off when I moved my weight forward when riding in the twisties on the almost worn out dunlops. I moved my weight forward more over the bars and suddenly I found the bike so much more responsive. I'm a bigger guy at around 250 and carry a few things in my bags all the time along with a top trunk mounted to the stock luggage rack so the bike is definitely heavier than showroom stock.
Now when on the backroads I get up on those bars and it's so much more fun. I have never had any riding instruction aside from the MSF class so many years ago so maybe I'm just a slow learner but I'd definitely encourage you to try adjusting your riding position when you want to have more fun.

All that said I'd love to get my old V-Star back even gave the guy that bought it all my contact info and told him to call me first if he felt he had out grown it so I also get wanting a second bike.

·
Premium Member
600 Posts
You may like the CB1000R. Here's my 2014 which is the Italian designed version (made in Italy) that people love or hate. I love it. Those GIVI expandable bags hold about as much as the CTX1300 panniers and pop right off. It's smooth as silk, light compared to the CTX at just under 500 pounds, and handles great.
https%3A//i.vgy.me/qDK67r.jpg[/img]']

·
Registered
52 Posts
Try the KTM 1290 Super Duke GT. You sit upright like on the CTX, you have bags and all the long distance goodies, with cruise control and every conceivable electronics you could imagine. Active suspension that is out of this world, that alone was what made me trade. You want fast: 0 to 125 mph in 7.2 seconds. Go read up on that bike but don't test ride it, you'll be ruined. The acceleration is staggering. It is a cruise missile.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Reactions: BravoBravo

·
Registered
76 Posts
Try the KTM 1290 Super Duke GT. You sit upright like on the CTX, you have bags and all the long distance goodies, with cruise control and every conceivable electronics you could imagine. Active suspension that is out of this world, that alone was what made me trade. You want fast: 0 to 125 mph in 7.2 seconds. Go read up on that bike but don't test ride it, you'll be ruined. The acceleration is staggering. It is a cruise missile.

Unfortunately, the seat height on most KTMs is dizzying.
Bruce

·
Registered
52 Posts
That's indeed true but the light weight makes up. At 5'10", I manage ok even with the heated seat which raised the seat another 3/4". It's a different feel for sure but a whole lot more manageable than expected.

Reactions: BravoBravo
1 - 20 of 22 Posts