CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I was cruising around yesterday I stopped by a powerhouse dealer in Ft Collins , Co and was checking out incentives.
CTX1300 had some good ones!

I asked if new 2015s were coming and they said NO

I asked the manager there what the status on 2015 models were, and he said "the CTX1300 is discontinued"

WOW! I hope thats not permanent. Maybe its just a production run hold or something?

Has anyone heard similar news?

·
Super Moderator
2,174 Posts
I haven't heard anything on this at all. But I'd find it very hard to believe they'd put all the R&D required to bring out a new model - even one with a power train from an existing model - for just one model year run. Very possible your dealer is thinking about the ST1300, which I'm pretty sure was discontinued (contributing greatly to the gross mis-assumption that the CTX1300 was its replacement).

·
Registered
143 Posts
I would be surprised also if they were going to discontinue it. I think they may have over-produced what they thought demand was going to be, but with the bike already tooled up I would think they would try and produce it at least a few years.

Perhaps they have stopped production until they see most of the 2014's being sold, and start again with a limited number of 2015's or to better gauge actual demand.

That being said...wouldn't we - as owners of this bike, become a rare figure. I can't remember if I have ever seen a 1 year production cycle on any bike, even some Suzuki's that were 10 years late in the styling department when they were introduced.

I think the best bet would be that the ST1300 isn't available anymore. I had seen a few ST1300's on showroom's that were 2 years old and never been titled...but this was a limited demand bike also. It took Honda 3 years later to stop production, although I think in Europe the "Pan European" sold ok over there.

·
Registered
764 Posts
I think it takes a lot of money to tool up the production line for each of these larger bikes. Honda has learned that it's more economical to make larger production runs less often. They might skip a year now and then.

The previous idea that you could produce multiple models on one line and keep all your inventory in the transportation system did not work well for bikes. "Just in Time" is the same as "Almost Too Late".

The other issue is that this bike was designed primarily for the North American market. That's a flaky market. Very few North Americans are serious riders. I'll bet that 95% of the folks who buy a CTX1300 put less miles on it than they put on their four-wheeled vehicles.

I would be stunned if the bike is discontinued. I doubt we'll see any change for 2015. I'd expect the white color to be available Stateside sometime in the near future. We might also see other colors in the next few years, but I don't expect any big changes to the bike.

·
Registered
406 Posts
With the 5000.00 discounted price for existing 2014 ctx1300s Gots a bad feeling.. Kind of like that crazy DN space bike they came out with

·
Super Moderator
5,721 Posts
Just think... pretty soon we'll be just as exclusive as those ST1300 owners! :)
Doesn't really bother me. Just looked on the Powersports Honda web site and the $3000 bonus bucks discount is shown there. It's possible Honda realized this bike needs a little boost in sales to bring it up to expectations. But I'm happy with mine. It does exactly what I need and want and fits my kind of riding as perfectly as a bike can. My GW was the best bike I had at the time and did the same... with the exception that the bulk of it got in the way of the GW being the perfect bike for me. This does all that I need and without the bulk of the GW.

·
Super Moderator
5,721 Posts
The 2014 model didn't start hitting showrooms until late March last year. Dealers didn't have a clue about it until it started showing up too.
I would think the about same for the 2015. :350x700px-LL-66dd6d

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
You could always take the plastic and have it painted. Had a friend do that with the old GL1500 so he had the first Pearl White.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Honda's done this before with slow sellers

Remember when the VFR1200 came out in 2010? Then they didn't release later model years until much later after they discounted the overstock of 2010's.

I used to ride a 2013 CB1100 first year available in the US although I think Australia and Japan had it since 2010 or so. I knew was sort of a niche bike (like the CTX1300 I guess) and Honda took awhile to release the 2014 with some nice improvements, but everybody is wondering if they're going to have a 2015 model.

I guess it's the same with the CTX1300, they built enough of them for the 2014 model year, discounted them (which is why I bought one) and waiting for the overstock to clear out before they release a 2015 or newer model.

Aloha,
Huladog

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The dealer was very specific about CTX1300 , and said "discontinued" ( he may mean "until further notice", though .
I agree with the masses here... its probably selling out the 2014 models before resuming production.
Im also guessing a bit more competitive pricing will come down the road.

in any case... it just took me by surprise

·
Registered
16 Posts
Honda's Silverwing scooter likewise has stopped production at 2013 vintage. Does that signify that it too is being "discontinued"?

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
Interesting that they are now showing them with the tall windshield. Should have been the way they were launched with an option for a shorty.

Eric

·
Super Moderator
5,721 Posts
But they still don't come stock that way. Tag on the back lists how the show bike was accessorized... tall screen, luggage rack, trunk with bracket and key lock set, etc.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Well they certainly aren't showing 2015's on their website. And seeing how so many dealers are selling them so cheaply, my guess is that they are discontinued.

·
Super Moderator
5,721 Posts
No panic. Honda is known for a one or more year lapse of offering a few models only to bring them back again. Look at the Valkyrie as the most recent! Wait a few years before assuming it is discontinued... and then be happy with how exclusive this bike has become. It's still a great bike, regardless how many years it is out.

·
Registered
28 Posts
No panic. Honda is known for a one or more year lapse of offering a few models only to bring them back again. Look at the Valkyrie as the most recent! Wait a few years before assuming it is discontinued... and then be happy with how exclusive this bike has become. It's still a great bike, regardless how many years it is out.
That's exactly what my dealer said, they skip years routinely. Also my dealer keeps selling theirs, and have to get more from other dealers, so they are selling...at least here in Cali

1 - 20 of 84 Posts