CTX 1300 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
EDIT: Effective June 30, 2020 the forum software was updated. To get to the forum member map please click the link in this post for the Member Map v2.0. Do follow all instructions given here to add your pin to the map.

I have put up a new Google Map file to replace the original member map that was with ZeeMaps.

At my place of work (State of Iowa) we've been doing a lot of collaborating using Google business services and it came to me... Why not use Google services to provide a member map using Google Maps. Google has improved their mapping options in recent years and has made it easier now to share and collaborate a map to large groups.

There are a few restrictions and rules that we will need to implement just to keep it clean and available to all members. Just like ZeeMaps started out it is publicly open and available to anyone. I will host this map on my own Google Drive storage repository and I will give everyone edit rights to the map.

Here are the restrictions and rules:
1. Since this map will be located on my personal Google Drive storage space I will share it to be available to everyone who has the link. If there comes a time when I cannot for some reason continue with this forum someone else will need to step up and house this map on their own Google Drive.
2. The map will initially be open to all to edit. I ask respect from each member to only edit their own information on the map and not to mess with other member information. I think we all have enough respect for fellow riders to do this. Google makes it incredibly easy to edit things, even accidentally, so please be aware of what you are doing.
3. If there is any abuse of editing the map I will lock it down and it will become view only. I don't want to do this unless I really have to. We will all have to be diligent to monitor our member map to keep it open to all. If it does have to be locked down then anyone who wants to add or edit any information will have to send me a PM to make any additions or changes for them.
4. Do NOT change anything circled in red in this control panel member listing:

5. Also please do not add a layer (one of the controls in that panel above) as this will confuse things for others.
6. Please talk with me before making any other changes to the map other than adding your own information.

Now for the link:

HERE IS THE NEW CTX1300 FORUM MEMBER MAP v2.0

To add your location on the map
1. Find where you want to place your pin on the map. Zoom in and/or move the map around as needed to get to your location.
2. Then click on the location pin as indicated in red in this photo:

3. Click on the location where you want the pin to be marking your location and another box will open.

4. In the smaller upper block put your forum member name.
5. In the larger lower block put any other information you want. You can also add a photo or image using the little camera icon.
6. Click Save and you're done.

You can change your information at any time by clicking on your location pin, then the pencil icon in your location box. No need to save a special link to edit your information as there was with ZeeMaps.

The only thing about this new member map is that it is starting from scratch and we all have to add our locations again (unless I am able to get into the ZeeMaps data to capture what is there, but I don't have confidence at this point that I will be able to do that). The good thing is that this map will not lock us all out just for how many times it was viewed as long as I, or someone, keeps this map file available. Another good detail about this map solution is that Google has deemed that this kind of file does not count against my total allowed data that I have in Google Drive.

Oh, also, might be a very good idea for everyone to check in on the map once in a while to make sure your pin is still there and right with the world. Seems too easy to rewrite over existing pin data. But such is the nature of modern technical stuff.

·
Registered
629 Posts
As per instructions after link - step 1 is fine. Can move map around and get where I need to be. Step 2 - I cannot find how to get the line with the pin to select.

·
Registered
94 Posts
There should be a search box (mine is near the top part of the map). Directly underneath the search box are several icons and one of them is the pin. Let the group know if you still can't find it as there may be a glitch. I was just in there and it seemed to work OK for me.
Dan

·
Registered
629 Posts
Maybe the fact that I don’t ‘live’ with computers, I only ‘tolerate’ them. Still not seeing what I need. Am using an iPhone 7S, if it matters. Below are my screenshots of what i get when clicking red link 1) with phone vertical, 2) with phone horizontal, 3) horizontal and then clicking on the search icon seen in red banner in “2)”.

·
Super Moderator
5,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
@fbnewell1 - Perhaps this is a problem with iPhones or not using Chrome web browser. I suggest if you can to find a laptop or desktop computer to open the map. It should be a standard item on the map near the top right next to the member list box. I do notice when I use my Android phone the member list box is not showing right off, but there is a button for Legend that shows it so all elements do show if only a bit differently on the phone than on the computer. Looks like in some of your screen shots you can scroll down to see more of the search box or member list box. There may be a link you have to tap to see the pin icon.

·
Premium Member
2018 GL1800 Goldwing Tour, 2014 CTX1300 (sold)
123 Posts
Bob, I typically do everything on my Samsung Galaxy S8, using the Firefox mobile browser - the bit of code you are seeing is an emoticon on my browser....see the attached screen shot of your post 🙂

Tdd

Well done, and done 😊
I've noticed some posts with these unrecognized strings of gibberish once in a while. Looks like an attempt to use codes that may display something on some forums but not this one. Is there a reason?

Attachments

·
Registered
277 Posts
Thanks Bob, mine added.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Thanks Bob, I was able to do it using my IPad..
Cheers

·
Super Moderator
5,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The Member Map link in the Tools>Quick Menu list is updated to take you to the new Member Map now. This should make it easier to get to from any page on the forum when viewing on a computer.

·
Registered
629 Posts
yeah ... sorry. Am on a Mac home computer now, and all looks the same as before. I can bring the map up, but have no way to get a pin inserted.

Guess I will have to find somebody who's got a non-Mac laptop and try it again. (Unless one of you that's already added has used a Mac/iPhone and can tell me how you did it)

What I need to know is how to get the status bar (that includes the location pin that's circled in red, as seen in bob's initial post - second pic) to show up on my screen. I see Virgil2014 has used a Mac product, but I don't know how to make that status bar appear.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Ok - got it done. But some info for others:

Loaded Chrome onto my iPhone, but still couldn’t view the status bar with the location pin. Had to go to a laptop with Chrome to be able to get it done.

Sorry for all the pleas for help. Luckily, I have a teen-aged son home from college who could help me!!

Reactions: bob

·
Premium Member
549 Posts
Got my info added using safari on my Mac. I was ready to try chrome but no need,

·
Super Moderator
5,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I changed the map display to show by sequence number rather than pin color style. Google Maps was starting to mess up by duplicating some of the styles in the list so that a few members were not individually shown listed even though they were still correctly indicated on the map and in the data table.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I'm hoping others are continuing to add their "pin" to the map. I'm working on a solo trip from northern IN to northern AR/southern MO sometime in 2019 and would love to meet up with any other CTX owner who lives in that area.

Dan (redenbacher)

1 - 20 of 51 Posts