but if you ask pretty much anyone on here its all grunt and not top end pull
with both bikes and we love it
at least I do
are you shopping for a new bike
if so don't worry about hp as it will not matter much

·
Premium Member
204 Posts
Torque you feel more in the lower rpm's and horsepower in the top end. My Magna was low in torque but had high horsepower and once you got over 5K rpm up into the 9K's it would take off like a rocket. The CTX is quicker off the line and has much more pull in its bottom end. Torque is more of what you feel pulling you. Bob, can you chime in here?

·
Super Moderator
5,481 Posts
OK.
I remember reading once (on the ST forum I think) someone wrote that Torque is like how hard you can punch someone, and HP is how fast you can throw those punches.
I'm not all that knowledgeable on racing or engine mechanics in this area other than what specs I read. You do a search online for specs on both bikes and you will find lots of results that will give torque and HP. Those who like to compare sizes of their "stuff" like to spout off about HP. Those who really want power look at Torque first, then consider HP later. One member here, don't recall which member, has compared riding a CTX1300 with a GL1800 and stated the CTX was easily able to keep up with anything the GL dished out.
But the official Honda published numbers are:
CTX1300: Torque 78 lb ft @4500 rpm, HP 83 @6000 rpm (actual measured results on new engine are just a bit lower @slightly less rpm)
GL1800: Torque 123 lb ft @4000 rpm, HP 118 @5500 rpm (keep in mind this bike is 200 lbs heavier)

Torque/HP chart of CTX1300 vs VStar 1300D (this one shows the low end, there is another chart that doesn't show off the low end):

Keeping in mind that all Torque/HP curves cross at 5250 rpm (I think that's right for USA units). The ST1300 is lower than the CTX1300 in both up to 5000 rpm and then passes and ramps up rapidly above that to peak at much much higher rpm.

·
Premium Member
204 Posts
OK.
I remember reading once (on the ST forum I think) someone wrote that Torque is like how hard you can punch someone, and HP is how fast you can throw those punches.
I'm not all that knowledgeable on racing or engine mechanics in this area other than what specs I read. You do a search online for specs on both bikes and you will find lots of results that will give torque and HP. Those who like to compare sizes of their "stuff" like to spout off about HP. Those who really want power look at Torque first, then consider HP later. One member here, don't recall which member, has compared riding a CTX1300 with a GL1800 and stated the CTX was easily able to keep up with anything the GL dished out.
But the official Honda published numbers are:
CTX1300: Torque 78 lb ft @4500 rpm, HP 83 @6000 rpm (actual measured results on new engine are just a bit lower @slightly less rpm)
GL1800: Torque 123 lb ft @4000 rpm, HP 118 @5500 rpm (keep in mind this bike is 200 lbs heavier)

Torque/HP chart of CTX1300 vs VStar 1300D (this one shows the low end, there is another chart that doesn't show off the low end):

Keeping in mind that all Torque/HP curves cross at 5250 rpm (I think that's right for USA units). The ST1300 is lower than the CTX1300 in both up to 5000 rpm and then passes and ramps up rapidly above that to peak at much much higher rpm.
Thanks for a great explanation Bob. Also, if you're worried about takeoff power I know that I can hit 60mph in just under 4 seconds on the CTX

1 - 7 of 7 Posts