CTX 1300 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,551 Posts
Have seen similar sentiment in early journalistic blathering blurbs. Not very many articles were applauding this bike even since 2014. Just because it doesn't fit their idea of any particular category, or not their preference of type of ride, or blah blah blah, it must not be good.
But unlike many of those earlier articles this one at least does seem to imply that most of the bikes in the list really are not all that bad. So what if the power band was changed from the ST. Many ST riders that I personally know don't use half the power band they have since they mostly keep the RPM right where the CTX1300 shines. Like the article says... "more low- and mid- range power than its ST counterpart". Besides, this writer would rather ride a R1 than a cruiser/tourer.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Burns is correct in saying that the CTX1300 was overpriced when it was introduced as a new model. However, they are now a smoking bargain. I was surprised to see him refer to them as “uncomfortable” though. I have been riding for more than fifty years now, and my CTX is by far the most comfortable motorcycle I have ever owned.

·
Registered
758 Posts
I agree that the bike is comfortable. My current CTX is my favorite bike I've ever owned. It is the most comfortable bike I've owned and the performance is perfect for what I use it for. It's not a sport bike. It's not a full luxury tourer. But it's great as a solo tourer. And it handles the twisties well enough to stay out of the way while I'm taking in the Appalachian scenery.

I toured quite a bit on my first CTX1300. 600 mile days are not a problem with this bike. If Honda would refresh this bike with better plastic and some of the amenities we get on the Gold Wing, it would be a top seller. It would put a big dent in already lagging Gold Wing sales. So I doubt they'll refresh it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
This is not the first review that sounds negative. There is some truth to the comments, it would have been nice to have cruise and maybe lower RPM's but the heavier weight is more stable on the highway. I think it's a comfortable ride, there is less electronics to go wrong, there are no recalls for this model. Unless I missed it, he forgot to slam the mirrors :) Overall we have a winner!

·
Super Moderator
2,170 Posts
Burns is correct in saying that the CTX1300 was overpriced when it was introduced as a new model. However, they are now a smoking bargain. I was surprised to see him refer to them as “uncomfortable” though. I have been riding for more than fifty years now, and my CTX is by far the most comfortable motorcycle I have ever owned.
I swear most of these yahoo ‘journalists’ aren’t comfortable on a bike unless they’re crouched over the front wheel. The only valid criticism they listed is being overpriced, and that’s coming from someone who paid full price the day it arrived at my dealership without batting an eye. I didn’t care then, and I don’t care now, because I wanted one as soon as I read the first news that it was coming. Unfortunately mine died a tragic death, ironically while trying to kill me. Which actually ended up working out better for me, because insurance book value hadn’t yet caught up with actual market value, and I got back most of what I paid for it. But while I had it I enjoyed it - comfortable, plenty powerful, and a damn nice looker.

·
Super Moderator
5,551 Posts
@Airhead78 , he posted a thread about it in one of the subforums a few years ago. Unless he posts a link you may want to do an advanced search on his member name. Include the term "crash" in the search.

Edit: here is one thread on his second crash found doing the very search I suggest: I might not be done riding now...

·
Super Moderator
2,170 Posts
@sleepngbear : "ironically while trying to kill me" Something more to the story? Anything we could learn from?
Lesson learned - it’s nice getting out for a ride to clear your head; make sure you keep your head clear until the ride is completely over.

Long story: I had some family stuff going on - I had just put my father in a nursing home, which itself was a maddening ordeal leading up to that point, and my wife and I were buried trying to get his affairs in order.

I was on my way back from a nice ride, about a half mile from home, on my own street that I’d traveled dozens of times, and my mind started drifting from the road to all the crap I still had to take care of when I got back home, when I suddenly found myself in the middle of a left decreasing-radius curve, and I forgot to decrease my radius. Just your basic textbook loss of attention to the road. I was leaned over about as far as I could go in that instant, but it wasn’t enough. Luckily I was only going about 25 mph. Bike caught the dirt on the edge of the road and slid out from under me and went down on its left side. About the time I separated from it and went for a little slide of my own, the bike hit a rock just off the side of the road and flipped over onto its right side. So the road took out the left side of the bike, then the flip took out the right. Just about every piece of body work, both bags, both mufflers, and a bunch of engine parts were either scuffed or broken. I smacked my left elbow, which somehow managed to avoid my elbow pad and had a nice big fluid bubble for a few days, but I was otherwise fine. Left sleeve of my jacket was trashed and helmet scraped up pretty good. Riding gear did its job.

A couple of good Samaritans stopped to see if I was ok and helped me get the bike upright, which was a real chore because the bottom was still resting on that rock it flipped over. It took three of us to get it off the rock and stand it back up. Somehow I managed to ride it home, with bent up levers and both mirrors dangling off, and a bunch of busted off pieces in the bags. It was a pretty sad sight.

·
Premium Member
2014 Honda CTX1300 Deluxe
974 Posts
Most comfortable bike I have ever had.

·
Registered
3 Posts
A "motorcycle journalist" featured the beloved ctx1300 in this list

Ten Worst Motorcycles of the Modern Era
Definitely not everyone’s cup of tea, I get it, and I don’t care, at all!! I love mine! I looked for one for a while and the moment I saw the one I wanted, I drove 3 states away and rode it back. A great decision. I’ll move on to something else at some point, but it may be a while...

·
Registered
14 Posts
A "motorcycle journalist" featured the beloved ctx1300 in this list

Ten Worst Motorcycles of the Modern Era
Geez, had to read this "review" twice to make any sense of it and still came away confused. Did he actually ride the bike or not? As many say, this is a niche bike and if it's not for you, then move on. Those of us that love that bike, really love it! I agree that it seemed to be overpriced when it came out, but got my second-hand with an aftermarket cruise and it rocks.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts