CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, today I did an unplanned emergency braking when a bunch of huge herbivore decided the grass on the other side of the road looks greener.
I had only 2 finger on the front brake and I pushed hard on the pedal as well and the bike really stopped fast and hard. I found myself pressed against the "tank". I was riding at about 65 mph and there was a minimal waving while decelerating. I stopped probably 20 feet from a gigantic beast (what the #@&*! a dear or a camel?) which stopped as well in the middle of the road, looked at me with a surprised expression and then slowly completed the crossing ... I wish I had a cam.
My opinion of the CTX1300 brakes: excellent. :smiley-happy0034:

·
Premium Member
1,069 Posts
My opinion of the CTX1300 brakes: excellent. :smiley-happy0034:
Brakes plus Skills - priceless.
:smiley-party0005:

Reactions: Tallboy and psullam

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Pucker factor

Pucker factor?
I would say 1 out of 10, I slightly reduced my speed after that.
In any case there was no time to think, my body did what need to be done and the bike was so efficient to stop quickly.
Actually since I had the CTX1300 I was thinking to do a planned emergency stop as an exercise but I was hesitant due to the road conditions here in Colorado after winter. Fortunately we had a few days of rain last week which cleaned a little bit the roads.

·
Registered
279 Posts
so ill ask for everybody
abs or not and if so it seemed to work out
hope this kinda stuff doesn't happen to often to ya
glad to see it all worked out
oh ya how long did we sit on the side of the road thinking huh

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
so ill ask for everybody
abs or not and if so it seemed to work out
hope this kinda stuff doesn't happen to often to ya
glad to see it all worked out
oh ya how long did we sit on the side of the road thinking huh
I have ABS and I think it should be standard on any motorcycle.
Well in my area is quite common to see wild animals along the roads but usually they are mostly visible at dawn and sunset.
After the "thing" crossed the road I just checked what the other beasts were doing and off I went, only thinking about the funny and positive side of the story.

·
Registered
279 Posts
funny story sorta fits here
I got a buddy that rides a Harley
he goes up north and comes across a deer same kinda deal
he tells me the story says he was very close to hitting the deer and it scared the crap out of him so he pulls over to collect his thoughts and GEAR UP
so I asks like all the gear
well ya he says
so how bout the helmet
well no duh that stayed on the back of the bike were it always is
never did make any sense to gear up but no helmet
that of course is an opinion
again glad it worked out
I did buy mine without abs so that is why I asked
it seems that many of the bikes on here have it
also I assume that when then 2016 or when ever it comes, will likely only be offered with abs and the other stuff

·
Premium Member
1,069 Posts
I decided some months ago to replace my Kingpin specifically to get ABS. TC too. Made for a short list of touring motorcycles under 800#s.

Coincidentally just a few hours prior to reading the OP's story, I practiced a panic stop in a similar setting, i.e. fields of hay and beasts. I'm still working up to the ABS limit.

I also agree. ATGATT.

Reactions: psullam

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Coincidentally just a few hours prior to reading the OP's story, I practiced a panic stop in a similar setting, i.e. fields of hay and beasts. I'm still working up to the ABS limit.

I also agree. ATGATT.
To find the limit where the ABS take over you need a slippery road.
In my previous bikes with ABS I felt the ABS pulses only on wet and slippery surfaces like the large painted zebra crossing or wet metal manhole cover and of course unpaved road (any kind). At least once the ABS saved my day on a wet Norwegian road when a car stopped in front on me without apparent reason. I had a FJ1200 ABS loaded with passenger and 3 large Givi hard cases, tank case, etc. (see picture).

Attachments

·
Registered
446 Posts
I'd like to add to the cheers, for the TCS this time. I did a short spin last Sunday like I usually do: ride to some random trail head, park the bike, do the trail, then ride the bike back home.

As opposed to other trail heads which were in villages/small towns, this one was in the middle of nowhere and it had been raining the whole day. The road was full with crap from the trees above and the parking lot was gravel. TCS made the difference between "easy park in, easy pull out" and having to wrestle with the CTX1300's 330kg in the mud. I'm so happy it's there :)

Reactions: psullam
1 - 10 of 10 Posts