CTX 1300 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
You will probably see the CTX1300 around February, I think that is when the F6B came out.
Being 66 my Super Tenere is getting taller and taller (I can stand flat footed with the lower seat but getting on and off with gear on pax seat is a hassle) for me and I was thinking about the 1300 being a good replacement. But this past weekend I was at the dealer checking out the new FJR..........for the price you sure are getting a lot of stuff, such as: cruise control, traction control and ABS.............the CTX doesn't come close. A few years ago I had an ST1300 and it was a great bike on the road but it to was on the tall side and it put out some heat at slow speed in the city. With the open engine and exhaust pipes right in front of your legs on the CTX I wonder too if there will be heat issues..............living in south Texas its hot year round. They say the new FJR's have no heat issues like the older ones.
When the time comes it could be tough to decide which bike to go with.

·
Super Moderator
2,168 Posts
The FJR is much more similar to the ST than the CTX. You may find it has the same tallness issues as you had with the ST.

No way to tell yet about heat with the CTX1300. I never had the heat problems with my ST that some people complained about (blisters on their legs? Really??), and the CTX cockpit is even more open than the ST's, so I'd have to think it wouldn't be any worse than any other fared bike.

·
Registered
21 Posts
When I had the ST1300 I made an "air fence" which directed air out of the radiator exhaust blast away from the rider, it made it bearable. For me the ST was not as tall as the Super T.....I am leaning to the CTX.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Past FJR Owner

I owned an FJR 2007 and it was sold 3 months after its purchase. It was top heavy, VERY unstable in interstate traffic and had a forward lean to the seating position that killed my wrist. Its highway character was the one thing I could not live with. I tried everything tires, air pressure, shock adjustment, took to an FJR expert in town. No help. I finally cut my losses ($1,200) and sold it. I guess I was too spoiled with my Valkyrie. I'm hoping that the CTX1300 sticks to the road as good as it did. I'll be sure to read reviews on stability before I jump in....

Clouded Thoughts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Heat and FJR

Yes it had heat I had to install a heat kit to cool down the gas tank. As far as heat on the legs is had it but after riding a Valkyrie it wasn't to bad. You kind of get used to it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Cruise control, push button adjustable windshield, traction control, heated grips all on the 2014 FJR1000ES for $16,890. I'd never buy one but Honda needs to consider loading up the CTX1300 or drop the price to $13k. I think having to paying a premium just for a Honda is not a good business model in today market.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I had a '99 Valkyrie Interstate and had a blast with it and did many trips, to me the heat wasn't as bad as the ST1300. You would think living in south Texas all my life I would get used to the heat but I sweat just thinking about heat.........that's why a cool running bike is important to me.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I owned an FJR 2007 and it was sold 3 months after its purchase. It was top heavy, VERY unstable in interstate traffic and had a forward lean to the seating position that killed my wrist. Its highway character was the one thing I could not live with. I tried everything tires, air pressure, shock adjustment, took to an FJR expert in town. No help. I finally cut my losses ($1,200) and sold it. I guess I was too spoiled with my Valkyrie. I'm hoping that the CTX1300 sticks to the road as good as it did. I'll be sure to read reviews on stability before I jump in....

Clouded Thoughts
I'm with you on that

I really do hope the CTX isn't top heavy. Gotta wait for those reviews

·
Super Moderator
2,168 Posts

Clouded Thoughts
First time I've seen anything bad written about the FJR. Then again, might be the first I've seen from someone who's actually owned one, too; I think everything else I've seen has been a review of the spec sheet.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I was pretty much leaning towards the CTX.............but after following this discussion I started doing research on the FJR and this morning I went to the dealer and sat on one. Several years ago I owned an ST1300 and did many long trips on it, I gotta say the FJR is not as tall or as top heavy. I am five eight and I can sit flat footed on the 2014 FJR, I sat flat footed on the ST but after I put an aftermarket seat on it. Now the only thing that concerns me is engine heat issues............but checking out FJR forum all say the issue has pretty much been resolved since 2006.
This is going to be a tough call.

·
Super Moderator
2,168 Posts
I guess you have to figure out which style you prefer more. It's an easy call for me -- I loved how the ST handled, and that motor was just butter-smooth; but I could not tolerate that riding position for very long. One year with the ST1300 confirmed that I'm more suited to a cruiser. The CTX will give me the best of both worlds.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Well gents, after extensive research with known facts I went ahead and ventured onto the next chapter of riding.................yesterday morning I went and bough a new 2014 FJR non ES. I am a big time Honda guy (with 4 in the garage) but not thrilled with what the CTX1300 lacks. The FJR is giving me cruise control, ABS, traction control, Drive mod, heated grips, center stand, electric adjust windshield and plenty of speed that I will never use. I'm five eight and sit flat footed on it, riding position typical for Sports Tourer. Not as tall or top heavy as the ST1300 I had, it was only 70 degrees yesterday and I didn't feel any engine heat. The dealer I bought it from is about 50 miles from home and rode it home on the Interstate and find it to be very stable, positive feel and good wind protection/no burble from the wind screen. OEM seats never work for my fat arse I will be searching for something after the next SS check. Got a really good deal only cost me 6000 bucks OTD............plus my Super Tenere.
I hope the CTX turns ok for those waiting.................if the FJR doesn't work out for me I can always go back to the original plan, CTX1300.
See ya on the road!

·
Registered
5 Posts
great discussion. Hondafreak - I am going through what you just did. Had it down between a FJR and a F6B but recently added the CTX1300 to the mix. Sat on them at the NY show and the CTX seating position seems very comfy. Worried about the forward lean on the FJR and how it might limit my seat time. I will be 60 this year, 5'10" w/ 30" inseam and have had some chronic neck pain. When I sat on the FJR I could feel the twinge in my neck. I know I could get risers, custom seat etc but I'm afraid I would always be chasing the optimal position. As far as riding....I know I'd love the FJR as I'm coming off a 04 Kawasaki Concours. I think I would be happy with the F6B although it would cost more. And now all the drama about the release of the CTX and the uncertainty about price....At least I have a couple months because I wont be riding in Upstate NY for a while.

·
Super Moderator
2,168 Posts
Well gents, after extensive research with known facts I went ahead and ventured onto the next chapter of riding.................yesterday morning I went and bough a new 2014 FJR non ES. I am a big time Honda guy (with 4 in the garage) but not thrilled with what the CTX1300 lacks. The FJR is giving me cruise control, ABS, traction control, Drive mod, heated grips, center stand, electric adjust windshield and plenty of speed that I will never use. I'm five eight and sit flat footed on it, riding position typical for Sports Tourer. Not as tall or top heavy as the ST1300 I had, it was only 70 degrees yesterday and I didn't feel any engine heat. The dealer I bought it from is about 50 miles from home and rode it home on the Interstate and find it to be very stable, positive feel and good wind protection/no burble from the wind screen. OEM seats never work for my fat arse I will be searching for something after the next SS check. Got a really good deal only cost me 6000 bucks OTD............plus my Super Tenere.
I hope the CTX turns ok for those waiting.................if the FJR doesn't work out for me I can always go back to the original plan, CTX1300.
See ya on the road!
Well good luck with the new ride. Hope you enjoy many many miles on it. ;)
And may I add that I'm more than a little jealous of you and your 70 degree weather. I woke up yesterday morning to -8. Gonna be a few more months before I see two wheels again.

·
Registered
21 Posts
My other bikes are F6B and 2013 CB1100. You cannot go wrong with the F6 for a fine touring bike. I'm 66 with 31 inseam and all 3 bikes work (flat footed). I don't like forward lean either............with the CB1100 I lowered back part of seat and added risers, F6 has risers seat was ok (but am thinking about Mustang), not sure yet what I will do with FJR (slight lean, I may take off the aft rubber bumpers under the seat and see if the lean is better, I did this to Super Tenere) they say Corbin seat is abit lower, in the future may go that way.
If you don't need all the goodies that go with the FJR for sure go with F6B, it has more than CTX appears to have (same price?). The foot position on CTX is more forward than F6 that might be a problem for some............I like to lift my arse every now and then, easier to do with pegs under you.

·
Registered
21 Posts
South Texas is hotter than heck in the summer but the good news, you can ride year round. Couple weeks ago I was in west Texas at Big Bend State park and weather was perfect.............I guess that is why I have 7 in the garage.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Well good luck with the new ride. Hope you enjoy many many miles on it. ;)
And may I add that I'm more than a little jealous of you and your 70 degree weather. I woke up yesterday morning to -8. Gonna be a few more months before I see two wheels again.

All I can say: Move further SOUTH!

21 - 40 of 61 Posts