CTX 1300 Forum banner

41 - 60 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Ctx1300 ??maybe

Hello riders.
Yast summer I test drove the ctx 700 and the f6 b and it liked both bikes. Now I have to add the ctx 1300 to the list. I am coming off a BMW 1200 lt.
The BMW is a great touring machine but heavy and expensive to service.
One thing I really was the forward foot position. I had a knee replacement a few years ago and the forward shifter seems more relaxed for me. I am anxiously waiting for the new ctx to arrive at my local honda dealers.
Two things I would add are the taller windscreen and a back rest for passenger.
We just got another dump of snow but it will melt in a few days so it won't be long.
Cheers
Jim:D

·
Super Moderator
5,521 Posts
I remember looking at this thread some time ago but forgot about it after reading through others to catch up when I first joined.
The ST-Owners forum members have talked of the FJR1300 being their go to bike since Honda hasn't come up with a new ST. The FJR is most definitely a Sport Touring bike for ST riders who tend to lean toward sport riding. It is not in the same category as the CTX1300. I tend to pass on comparing bikes in different categories. I do look at the specs sometimes but don't take stock in the comparison. It's easy to say most sport bikes have much higher HP than any bagger, even the new revolutionary baggers Honda is putting out (CTX, F6B). Sport bikes are a different category. ST bikes will also have higher HP. All at much higher RPM though. I guess I don't understand comparing apples to pears

·
Registered
34 Posts
I remember looking at this thread some time ago but forgot about it after reading through others to catch up when I first joined.
The ST-Owners forum members have talked of the FJR1300 being their go to bike since Honda hasn't come up with a new ST. The FJR is most definitely a Sport Touring bike for ST riders who tend to lean toward sport riding. It is not in the same category as the CTX1300. I tend to pass on comparing bikes in different categories. I do look at the specs sometimes but don't take stock in the comparison. It's easy to say most sport bikes have much higher HP than any bagger, even the new revolutionary baggers Honda is putting out (CTX, F6B). Sport bikes are a different category. ST bikes will also have higher HP. All at much higher RPM though. I guess I don't understand comparing apples to pears
A
M
E
N

Brother!

Glad you said it so well.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I guess I don't understand comparing apples to pears
A lot of people can't decide which kind of bike to get, so comparisons seem logical to me. It seems it's mostly the sport touring riders that are the ones gravitating to the CTX 1300, rather than cruiser riders or adventure bike riders, from everything I read. And considering the CTX has the same engine as the ST1300, I think it's an obvious comparison to that bike. When I bought my Versys 650 I was shopping for a Triumph Bonneville, ended up almost buying a Ninja 1000, then V strom, then ended up with the Versys. One thing leads to another and you often end up with something totally different.

·
Super Moderator
5,521 Posts
I do agree with looking at different bikes and styles. I agree with considering the different aspects of each type of bike on their own merits individually and even, in the case of the CTX and ST since they have basically the same engine with some modifications to differentiate, comparing what each can do that is similar due to that engine. But to try to compare sport touring performance of the CTX to any sport tourer as if the CTX is a bit unfair since it was not designed to be a sport tourer and will obviously handle very differently from any sport touring bike. That's why, in another post, I will compare the CTX1300 touring-cruising ability with my ST1100 touring-cruising abilities but even that's not fair to the ST since it isn't a touring cruiser type of bike, yet that's how I am riding it. So really I'm comparing my riding style on the different bikes more than the bikes themselves. I don't know if that comes across the same way I am thinking it in my head though. Reads kind of weird seeing it in words :)

·
Super Moderator
5,521 Posts
But i tried to change my look to wear Yamaha attire and show off my personality as rider among my friends. :D don't be angry.....
Who's angry? :D
I like that jacket... except for those white letters all over the front. :p
Red is, after all, Honda's flagship color. ;)
When I replaced my TM Flex jacket some years ago I was looking at the red one, but went with black anyway. I would have gone for Hi-Viz but there wasn't that color in my jacket. Love the Flex jacket, mesh for summer, solid for between seasons, insulated for the colder times. Just add or remove layers. Been comfy in this jacket from -15*F up to +105*F. :eek:

(granted, at the colder temps I add another layer under it to assist)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Traded my FJR 1300A for the CTX 1300. Never liked the FJR as much as my ST 1300. ST is much more comfortable to ride. FJR gave very little protection when riding in the rain. FJR had some buzz in the grips around 55-65 mph. Not nearly as smooth as the ST or CTX 1300. Really like the CTX 1300. I'll like it a lot more with a taller windshield. I'll be riding the ST in a couple of weeks when I return to OH.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I have owned both an FJR 1300 and ST 1300, but the CTX is a totally different animal. I thought the FJR had a more sport bike feel to it, and you could wind the engine up for some good top end. The ST was more of a mid-range power and torque monster, but the ST 1300 was definitely a more refined product than the Yamaha.

Comparing a CTX 1300 to the FJR isn't fair, as they have different roles. Compare the CTX to the Street Glide, or the Victory Cross Country with a batwing...or even go with the frame mounted Harley Road Glide. The CTX just has a comfort to it with the bars reaching back to the rider, AND has that cruiser look to it.

Just don't understand why Honda didn't put cruise control as an option?????

·
Registered
446 Posts
(...)
Just don't understand why Honda didn't put cruise control as an option?????
Since people keep asking ... because it's really hard to get it right. And it's even harder to get it right and safe (which the Japanese usually take at least a mile further than what the approval bodies would require for road-legal vehicles).

If the bike had drive-by-wire, then adding cruise control on top of that would've been a lot simpler and cheaper -- but drive-by-wire itself would have raised the price tag so much people wouldn't buy the CTX anymore (and probably go with the GW instead).

·
Registered
143 Posts
Uh...I would pay the $300 price for the cruise, is that too much? That is what Harley Davidson charges, as well as Victory motorcycles, so what gives?

Second, the throttle by wire is cheaper to build and produce than the cable operated throttle body approach.....unless you are only building a few bikes, the cost of production is much cheaper AND is much more precise with the fuel mapping.

Third...if Honda had put a cruise control they would sell more of these bikes. As stated, the salesman I had talked to told me they had a lot of interest in the CTX, but no one had bought it and made the same statement I did...what, no cruise!!!!

·
Registered
446 Posts
(I feel this is going nowhere, but ...)
H-D (and BMW) sell very expensive bikes to people who are willing to pay the price just for the privilege of showing off with the brand. When you (the company) get that kind of sponsorship, it's easy to design everything first and then release it piecemeal, allowing your customers to pay even more for something they perceive as a premium -- but which was actually part of the design all along.

Mechanical throttle requires parts which were designed at least 50 years ago; therefore almost no R&D needed, therefore no licensing costs, therefore no specialized labor (i.e. you can make them in China for almost nothing), therefore lower total cost of the bike. Not to mention less PITA with regulatory bodies, less safety concerns and, let's not forget, way less bitching from the customers. Did I mention it also works without a battery and it couldn't care less about rain too?

Fly-by-wire throttle requires a rotary encoder, a dedicated feedback loop and a servo actuator (to keep it simple). All of which need a battery and do care about things like static electricity, rain, salty air and sub-zero temperatures. All of which do require specialized labor (yes, you can make them in China but not at $1 per 1000pcs) and are hard to get right. By "right", I mean "so that you can't tell the difference".

Don't get me wrong: I'm a hardcore tech geek and DIY-er myself and I if had my own motorcycle brand, everything would be digital and fly-by-wire on it :) But I know it would take me a couple years to get everything right and then probably just as much to get past all safety approvals so that the bike is road-legal. It is people like Honda (and BMW, earlier this year) who bring that dream closer by making bold moves, such as going all-LED (Honda) or using the first auto-aimed Xenon headlight (BMW) on a motorcycle.

Reactions: sleepngbear

·
Registered
9 Posts
I was fortunate enough to ride both the standard CTX13 and the 2013FJR yesterday.....oh, and I rode into the dealership on my ST13.

I'd say the CTX compares very favorably to the ST13 in terms of comfort in almost every aspect. I say almost every aspect due to that abomination of a stock windshield. However, the wind protection was better on the CTX with the stock screen that the FJR. I see very little difference in the engines of the CTX and the ST13.....way over hyped by the media. Sure you could tell a difference on a dyno or a dragstrip but not on the street. I actually like the way the CTX pulls from down low a little better than the ST. Handling of both bikes is superb.

As for the FJR. I'll try to be kind and you know what opinions are like. To each his own, but, I wish I had some of what the journalist are smoking when they rate it higher than the ST. Jeez... I have never been less impressed with a motorcycle in my life. I am aware of the extra farkles it comes with (my tester even had a Russell seat) over the ST and CTX but there is no way I'd settle for that bike/engine just for some electrical gizmos. It was seriously outclassed.

·
Super Moderator
2,168 Posts
I was fortunate enough to ride both the standard CTX13 and the 2013FJR yesterday.....oh, and I rode into the dealership on my ST13.

I'd say the CTX compares very favorably to the ST13 in terms of comfort in almost every aspect. I say almost every aspect due to that abomination of a stock windshield. However, the wind protection was better on the CTX with the stock screen that the FJR. I see very little difference in the engines of the CTX and the ST13.....way over hyped by the media. Sure you could tell a difference on a dyno or a dragstrip but not on the street. I actually like the way the CTX pulls from down low a little better than the ST. Handling of both bikes is superb.

As for the FJR. I'll try to be kind and you know what opinions are like. To each his own, but, I wish I had some of what the journalist are smoking when they rate it higher than the ST. Jeez... I have never been less impressed with a motorcycle in my life. I am aware of the extra farkles it comes with (my tester even had a Russell seat) over the ST and CTX but there is no way I'd settle for that bike/engine just for some electrical gizmos. It was seriously outclassed.
Welcome to the forums!

Got to agree, the stock windshield is definitely not even worth calling a windshield if you're used to riding with more wind protection. My recollection of the ST1300 is it almost totally isolates you from the elements between the windshield and fairing -- it was actually too much protection for my tastes. The tall windshield on the CTX makes a world of difference, but still allows a little more fresh air to the rider than the ST.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Glad to be here...been lurking for a while.

I can understand how you could draw that conclusion. The ST shield also creates alot of backpressure but that's just picking nits. Especially in a class with the likes of the FJR.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Eh... cruise control is always something I wish worked better than it did, even on cars.

Sure, it is much easier to implement in drive-by-wire situations, but I do not particularly like drive by wire. Having an actual cable to a throttle body that can be inspected for wear and lubricated always seems better than something electronic.

They have it in cars too, and let me tell you, one of my friends who has it will NEVER get it again after it took a dump and decided that she was flooring it.

·
Registered
599 Posts
So I am contemplating a replacement for the CTX 1300 and of course the YAMAHA FJR1300ES comes to mind. I am looking at a 2016 model, but I'm guessing most any model year is about the same. I enjoy the long day touring on the CTX, power that is smooth and reliable, quick enough to get out of the way when it needs to, enough storage. I have put on 40K in 3 years of ownership and the CTX hasn't missed a beat. I will find a Yamaha FJR locally to throw my leg over to see how it feels.

I would welcome some insight into other modern sport touring (more emphasis on touring) models I should take a look at.

Maybe go bagger?

·
Registered
192 Posts
@CaliChaos . There is a new Yamaha Star Eluder in Port Washington WI for only 14999. Out the door price. Only addition to the price is tax, title and plates. Good friend of mine is considering one of this.
DC73F5E0-72C4-4DF1-A421-5B36C536A822.png

·
Registered
599 Posts
@Makedon -- thanks for the heads up -- definitely a lot of bike for the price.

My reservation -- again with a single year model bike -- aftermarket support.

randomly I found this video from 2018 .. still talking up the CTX 1300

41 - 60 of 61 Posts