CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read all kind of things that the CTX would have no problems making curves; I can't compare with my ST 1300? I presume that the ground clearence isn't the same as the Pan and the rear tire is a 200 !?!?
Is there someone to assure me this goes well or not?
Tomorrow I'll have mine, can't wait...:smileygarden_de_ban
Nick

·
Super Moderator
2,174 Posts
Obviously the CTX won't have the same cornering clearance as the ST. But it is better then any other cruiser I've owned or ridden, as it is more responsive to steering inputs. You probably won't be dragging any knees, but you do have to get over quite a bit before you start scraping pegs. I don't notice any disadvantage to the 200 rear, either; it pretty much goes where you tell it with no arguments.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Reactions: Croxy

·
Super Moderator
5,723 Posts
Agree with all above. Have no issues with leaning. I had a ST1100 and have only scraped pegs a few times on that. I have twice on my CTX but was trying to see how far I can go over before that happened, and both times were just very light taps for an instant. I've known riders on GL1800s keep up and surpass ST1300 riders in the curves, really depends on the rider, and this CTX has a bit more clearance than the GL. I don't see any problem there even with less clearance than the ST. I would say you will only have issues if you were used to constantly scraping your ST pegs. Otherwise it's a non-issue.

·
Registered
18 Posts
The only cruiser type bike that in my mind corners better is the Ducati Diavel (tag line "don't call me a cruiser"),with the CTX you can if you have a mind to really hustle though the corners. Last summer I went for a ride out with my advance motor cycle group and the guy following me on his Triumph Sprint GT SE couldn't believe how hard he was having to push to keep up in the country lanes. I've had the pegs down on a couple of occasions (made me jump the first time) but it never felt as though I was near the limit. Have fun and miles of smiles.

·
Premium Member
1,069 Posts
Scraping the outer edge of my left boot. :eek::smileygarden_de_ban

·
Registered
764 Posts
I've ridden my CTX1300 hard in some serious twisties. The bike handles the curves pretty well. It's not as nimble as a 600cc sport bike or a KTM Duke. But it will outperform any cruiser I've ridden.

The only negative is that the bike is not so great on the way down the hill in the first or second gear switchbacks. This has nothing to do with the ground clearance or the fat tire. It's because of the poor off/on throttle response. If you are moving promptly through those curves, you will often close the throttle completely while the clutch remains engaged. The CTX will not come smoothly out of these corners unless you use the clutch or slow down. It goes just fine up the hill, but it gets jerky on the way down.

This is not a sport bike. You can use the rear tire all the way to the edge and still have plenty of chicken strip left on the front tire. This bike has to lean further than an ST to make the same corner at the same speed. This bike was not designed to be a serious canyon carver. It is adequate, but not great in the serious twisties. It is very good on normal winding roads where you don't have to go down to first gear very often.

I've owned two ST1100s, a recent Triumph Trophy, and a recent Gold Wing. They were all better than the CTX1300 when descending the hills rapidly through first gear switchbacks. None of them were as relaxing as the CTX when riding normal roads that don't require dropping to first gear.

If you are already used to the jerky throttle on the ST1300, you should have no surprises with the CTX1300.

In summary: The CTX1300 is good in the curves for a relaxing ride in the hills. The bike is not good for racing down the hills.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I read all kind of things that the CTX would have no problems making curves; I can't compare with my ST 1300? I presume that the ground clearence isn't the same as the Pan and the rear tire is a 200 !?!?
Is there someone to assure me this goes well or not?
Tomorrow I'll have mine, can't wait...:smileygarden_de_ban
Nick
Its fine... I run pretty quick in the rocky mountains, and it isnt exactly perfect , but Ive dealt with much worse. Im no fan of the suspension. I still wouldn't call it dangerous.
you may want to adjust your rear shocks just a tad...

I never trusted the front tire... and that rear tire is so fat when it sits around the house... well you know the punch line...
Anyhoo I replaced the front tire with a drippier one.

I tink your going to enjoy the responsiveness ... I agree with everyone.. it does kinda get away from its bagger design when its pushed into the twisties.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Scraping the outer edge of my left boot. :eek::smileygarden_de_ban
I just did that on Sunday. Strange sensation! Made me realize that on long rides I tend to slide my foot back such that my outside heel edge is kind of hanging down lower than the bottom of the peg.

·
Premium Member
1,069 Posts
I just did that on Sunday. Strange sensation! Made me realize that on long rides I tend to slide my foot back such that my outside heel edge is kind of hanging down lower than the bottom of the peg.
In my case, it's my outer sole...the middle of my foot. Warns me that I'll scrape the min-floorboard next. And then I scrape the min-floorboard. :smiley-happy0034:

·
Registered
83 Posts
This bike can handle. We all know this. You might scrape pegs once in a while ( like that guy in the youtube around turn 2 or 3) but the bike will handle whatever you throw at it.

Reactions: bob
1 - 11 of 11 Posts