CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone contemplated doing this?

Here's why I'm considering it: the Honda Tall shield never really worked for me. It kind of works for me with an X-Creen added to it, but results in buffeting for my passenger. In the meantime I've discovered the stock low shield + X-Creen actually is like a perfect combination of wind protection and airflow. Its only drawback is that it kind of detracts from the clean lines of just having a single shield in place.

I've kind of wondered whether the 8" or 10" Cee Bailey sport shield would result in something roughly equivalent to what I get out of the shorty + X-Creen combo, since the height is about right. And I noticed Cee Bailey says their screen follows the angle of the Honda Tall to slant more away from the rider.

So...since I feel like I've spent enough money on shields for this bike already, I find myself contemplating cutting down the Honda Tall to something like 10" and seeing how it works.

I've cut a shield down on a past bike, just using a traced line and following it with a cutting wheel on a Dremel...that had imperfections but wasn't too bad. Appreciate any tips from people who think they have superior approaches.

Not committed to doing this yet, but contemplating it.

Jeff

·
Super Moderator
5,721 Posts
I haven't considered it on my CTX1300 since I like the Honda tall shield just as it is. But I did cut down the Rifle shield on my ST1100 by 3 inches, and was considering cutting another 2 inches off since there wasn't yet enough airflow for me. I replaced that bike with my CTX before I got around to that. I had really good results using a metal jigsaw blade and going really slow along the traced line. I actually left the shield on the bike to cut it since I figured that would hold it better and less chance of damage than any clamp or vise. Just cover the tank area with a large tarp or cloth.

I started by making a pattern of the existing curve around the top, then put blue painter tape on both sides of the shield before starting, covering about 3-5 inches above and below where I wanted to cut to protect the shield. Then I marked the center for how far down I wanted to cut and used the pattern I made to mark the cut line: I lined up the pattern to one side and marked that from the side to center first, then moved the pattern to the other side and marked from the side to center, and then I centered the pattern to even out that part of the line (the shield is wider where I wanted to cut it than the top is). I set the jigsaw to a really slow speed and cut really slow to avoid melting the plastic. When I was done it was still a rather rough edge so I used a metal file lightly to knock off the really rough stuff and followed with a 80 grit sandpaper on a wood block and then a 120 grit on the wood block to smooth it all and slightly rounded the edge also (used a light touch when sanding and took my time). I ended up with a better edge than the Rifle factory edge.

I wouldn't expect any issues doing this. Just be sure it's what you want to do or how much you want to cut off. Think on it 3 times, measure twice, cut once. :)

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Unsurprisingly, your tips totally line up with the best YouTube video I could find on the topic. The woman behind the video also followed through with multiple sandings at finer and finer grits, but that just becomes a matter of taste.

I'm not sure I care to buy a jigsaw just for the cut, and I know I achieved a decent cut with a Dremel that I just didn't follow through and sand.

I'm becoming pretty convinced to try. Will be sure to report back when/if I do it.

Thanks Bob!
Jeff

Reactions: bob

·
Registered
147 Posts
As frustrating as it sounds you should just buy the right shield . Unless you have all the right equipment to do it right ... Start shaving a perfectly good shield and end up ruining it then you're out of a good shield. Sell it and buy the one you want.

My tall screen I have issues with . It just hits the top of my helmet giving turbulance. I might get a taller shield. My only issue is aesthetics. The taller shield might look goofy.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I am really liking the Honda stock shorty
on these hot summer days its great
nope not the protection of the tall but it was free and its really only bad over 75
the tall Honda is to tall for summer but not tall or wide enough for cold
will likely buy a givi for the cold weather
also have done a lot of thinking on the 8" cb
it looks great
but 150
just don't want 15 shield laying around
I have cut down a couple before with good results also

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
I've thought about this too, but I have just decided to swap out the tall shield and the short shield when it gets hot/cold. There are lots of great resources out there, and I still might consider it. The thing that keeps me from doing it is that I really want to get a tinted Cee Bailey shield anyway. I have seen windshields that have been cut down and edge-treated with a chemical to make it look like it came from a factory. I say... be careful and go for it. As long as you are OK with the possiblilty that it might not work out. Good luck, and keep us posted!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Been thinking the same thing

Have the same setup as jeffz so I've been contemplating the same mod since I also have the unused tall touring screen in the garage.

Was thinking of the same height that I'm running the shorty screen + X-creen. The vent probably will still help smooth the airflow from the inside of the cut-down shield.

Just have to get motivated to go do it. Oh, and why not order a Cee Bailey? Cause they charge an arm-and-a-leg to mail it to me in Hawaii!

Aloha,
Huladog

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
As frustrating as it sounds you should just buy the right shield . Unless you have all the right equipment to do it right ... Start shaving a perfectly good shield and end up ruining it then you're out of a good shield. Sell it and buy the one you want.

My tall screen I have issues with . It just hits the top of my helmet giving turbulance. I might get a taller shield. My only issue is aesthetics. The taller shield might look goofy.
I'm not sure the screen I want exists, or else I would. The Honda Tall + X-Creen is taller than the Cee Bailey 16", so I don't consider that an option. We learned in another thread that the screen Givi makes is only about the same height as the Cee Bailey.

A Madstad 17" exists which seems like it could be promising, but it's $300 and I can only imagine with their offset bracket setup that that thing would look like a giant sail on the front of the CTX. Considering I'm close to being really happy with the roughly 8" height of the low screen + X-Creen, I'm really not inclined to try that behemoth.

My Honda Tall isn't "perfectly good" -- I had already drilled it to fit the X-Creen brackets last year. That's why I'm not worried about cutting it to see if it works as a sport shield and simply throwing it out if it doesn't.

Jeff

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
It's pretty good. You get more wind protection than you do with the stock shorty screen, I have the Honda tall screen, but haven't ever installed yet. So i can't compare that one.

I've got a custom made 6" (Dark Smoke) ceebailey's wind screen on mine.
How's the wind off that compared to the stock shortie (and factory tall screen, if you've used that, too)?

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It's pretty good. You get more wind protection than you do with the stock shorty screen, I have the Honda tall screen, but haven't ever installed yet. So i can't compare that one.
Good to know! Seems like the front-end aerodynamics on this bike allow for reasonable protection and airflow in the range of 4-10" or so.

I'll probably try the cut-down sometime this weekend. Going to start at 10", test, and see if I want to go further based on whether I get turbulence and smooth air flow.

Last thing I'm not sure about is whether I want to use the curve of the top of the Tall shield or the flatter curve of the stock shorty as a guide for this.

Jeff

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok, so I did an initial cut down to about 10", using the curve of the top of the tall shield as a template to repeat the same curve down lower.

A test ride gave me air flow rather similar to what I get from the low + X-Creen combo, with perhaps a bit more turbulence? Hard to tell before I do a longer highway ride, which I wasn't in the mood for today. Riding around backroads at 45-50mph was extremely pleasant.

Air is hitting me right in the middle of the face shield. I may take it down another inch to see if I can optimize it to hit closer to the bottom of my helmet or my neck.

Jeff

Attachments

·
Registered
86 Posts
Thanks for experimenting for the rest of us

I'll following along to see how the trimmed down tall touring screen works out since I'm running the same low screen + X-creen setup you have.

Bet the summer weather over there is making this a good time to experiment with air flow!

Mahalo,
Huladog

·
Registered
279 Posts
I like it that's about what I was thinking and then a givi for the cold
shorty is to little and tall is to much for summer
need an in between
LOOKS GREAT

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
As a follow-up on this, I rode around for a few days with the cut-down shield and concluded it's a little bit inferior aerodynamically to the low screen + X-Creen combo. The laminar effect in the X-Creen I think is what I'm missing, because the air coming over the cut-down windshield is just a bit choppier.

I'd be totally happy with the cut-down shield if I'd never experienced anything else, but knowing I can ride at 80mph and not get any head bobble with my older combo, I'll be going back to it happily.

Jeff

Reactions: bob

·
Registered
369 Posts
I installed the Cee Baileys 8" sport screen (dark tint) this past weekend and took it for a little test ride. It only took a couple miles to realize it was not the screen for me. I am 5"10" and it seemed like it was just the wrong spot for noise and wind. I like to ride mostly with my helmet visor up and my eye brows were doing funny things at 40 mph and above and there was a lot of noise. Seemed OK with the visor down, but that's not a sacrifice I am willing to make. When I stretched up a few inches it seemed to cure the issue, but growing is not an option either! So off it came. I like the stock shorty 95% of the time so I'll stick with that. I will probably cut down the Cee Baileys screen to and inch or two taller than the stock screen and have a dark tinted shorty, which should really look nice on the black bike.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I am sure there is someone willing to trade on this forum.
You convinced me. I probably will never get around to the cutting project and it will just sit and collect dust. I posted the windscreen in the classified section if anyone is interested.

Stirling

·
Registered
16 Posts
Cutting tall windshield

I wanted mine just about 2 inches shorter so I could see over it.
I drew a line with the same curve 2 inches from the top and took it to my Honda dealer. He cut it for me in 10 minutes free of charge.

Works Great!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts