CTX 1300 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok got my Hankook Ventus 205/50/17 -k120 today ....I'm going to do a test going to spray paint the thread pattern white then take a long ride up here in the northeast connecticut... not an aggresive ride just a normal ride you would do with your wife on the back ...will see were the paint is on the tire when i get back home that will tell the tail of just cruising around wear ...and exactly how far over i was durning my casual ride.....no more guess work.....thanks again for all the info out there .....ridefast99

·
Registered
314 Posts
Not sure how keen I'd be to ride on a tire coated in spray paint. I might paint a few tread blocks along the edge of the tread just verify lean angle.
In the attached pic you can see how much of the tire I'm using. I ride the same speeds I always have.

Attachments

Reactions: Stlburd2

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not sure how keen I'd be to ride on a tire coated in spray paint. I might paint a few tread blocks along the edge of the tread just verify lean angle.
In the attached pic you can see how much of the tire I'm using. I ride the same speeds I always have.
What tire are you runnung

·
Registered
314 Posts
Riken Raptor ZR A/S. I'm in the PNW where it rains most of the time so I needed an A/S tire designed for shedding water. Seems to do well. Bike is much more stable and tracks better in turns than it was with the stock Dunlop.

Attachments

·
Registered
208 Posts
Yesterday I did a "spirited" ride with two other ctx owners. My car tire kept up the entire time. However when they went from spirited to racing, "I" couldn't keep up. They both had WAY more talent as riders then I will ever be. Literally, I blinked and they were gone.

Sent from my cellphone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
531 Posts
Ridefast99 - How about use some white shoe polish instead of paint. Might be easier to get off later!

·
Registered
531 Posts
My $.02 on the darkside:

@troystg let me take a short spin on his bike this last weekend. My first time on a car tire. Only went a total of about a mile and a half, but made 2 sharp 90* turns, two 180* turnarounds on a 2-lane road, took a curve at 65mph, and made a panic stop from 60mph (checking a possible brake problem). No tight cornering. But, my observation on that tire are that it’s definitely different maneuvering at slow speeds. Not bad, not good, not unsafe - just different. Nothing I had to think about while u-turning. Just ... different. Noticed absolutely no difference on the posted 45mph curve that I took at about 65. The bike didn’t blow up on me! It didn’t throw me off! I didn’t end up in a bloody heap because I rode a m/c with a car tire!

Not sure I would put one on my bike. My personal concern is that the bead area on a car tire does not match with the m/c wheel lip. But that’s just me. What I can tell you is that our “spirited” ride was at a pretty good clip on some gnarlly roads. And when we hit hooligan mode, riding like our hair was on fire - he was actually only about 8 to 10 seconds back after 4 miles or so. I was impressed ... more like shocked, actually! He gave that bike every opportunity to put HIM on the side of the road in a bloody heap. Kinda put to bed any worries I had of popping a bead off while riding ...

·
Registered
13 Posts
What would a person gain from a car tire over a bike tire? In Alberta my bike tire is $180 and $20 to put on the rim. I remove and installed it on the bike. I am guessing a car tire would be ~$100 ?? Would it last longer??

·
Registered
314 Posts
What would a person gain from a car tire over a bike tire? In Alberta my bike tire is $180 and $20 to put on the rim. I remove and installed it on the bike. I am guessing a car tire would be ~$100 ?? Would it last longer??
A car tire lasts considerably longer, as much as 35 to 40,0000 miles, and has a significantly higher load rating. Typically about1400 pounds as opposed to 600 pounds for the moto tire.
A heavy bike like a CTX or a Gold Wing is really pushing the weight limits of moto tires once you add a passenger and gear. Tire failures due to over loading/ over heating aren't all that uncommon on large bikes especially in hotter climates.
And of course they are cheaper.

·
Super Moderator
5,470 Posts
Actually tire fails due to overloading is something I ONLY hear about from those warning that it can happen. I've never actually heard from someone who experienced such to happen to them though I know plenty of riders of a GW who really overload their rides. One rider I knew some years ago weighed more than 550lbs just by himself (he was a really big guy) plus loaded his bike for camping. He did wear out the frame of one or two Wings but never had issues with the motorcycle tires he rode on. But a CT does last 3 or 4 times longer than a motorcycle tire and I have heard from many who don't experience any down side to using one... other than possibly having a bit more effort getting it onto the rim.

·
Registered
314 Posts
It's rare but it does happen.
During my time as a dealer tech I personally changed 1 original tire with under 2000 miles on it that blew out after several hours on the interstate on a 100 + degree day. Seemingly due to overloading, 350 + lb rider with a 200+ lb wife and weeks worth of gear. I know him well enough to believe the tires were properly inflated, he's a maintenance fanatic.The side wall had obviously let go. To be fair I'm sure the temp was a factor as well.
We had another customer who partially lost the tread cap on a GL tire on Hwy 50 in Nevada again after hours of interstate riding. I didn't see the tire 1st hand but the pics appeared to show that the tread had partially separated from the casing. As I recall it was a Dunlop tire. That one was more likely due to over heating than over loading.

·
Premium Member
845 Posts
You might try some spray talcum powder or foot powder on that tire. Probably easier than chalk to use and will wash off. We also used that to locate leaks that were hard to find. Light color makes em stand right out.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts