CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
As some of you might know, I ended up buying a 2014 R1200RT because none of the dealers around here had a CTX to check out. First and foremost I LOVE my Beemer, no complaints only praise. So to make a long story short my local dealer finally got one a couple weeks ago. All I can say is hmmmmm... No demo rides allowed so I could only sit on it and gawk at it. Impressions, it was more cruiser-ish in person than I thought. The bars, which I thought looked kind of weird in photos, looked kind of weird in person to me as well. To me they look and feel swept back too much, then again I'm used to my Beemer which is a whole different set of ergos going on. Of course I couldn't take it for a test ride so can't speak to that, but not sure the seating position would work for me, I'm so used to, and so like, my feet directly underneath me and sitting up high. I thought the quality was maybe a little lacking? The plastics looked kind of "economical" for an $18K bike. The bags looked kinda of chintzy, though nothing that would prevent me from buying it, perhaps it just takes some getting used to, it's such a different look. It looks like it would be fun for laid-back cruising and I REALLY wished I could have taking it for a ride. Well, I go through bikes kind of fast, maybe in a year or two I'll give it a try, I LOVE saving money and buying used, even my Beemer was 3 months old when I bought it. Ride safe everyone!

·
Super Moderator
2,174 Posts
The CTX1300 is definitely more cruiser-ish than sport-tourer-ish. If you're more accustomed to the sport tourer crouch, the neutral riding position will take some time to get used to -- if you can get used to it at all. I was just the opposite -- after a year on the ST1300, I couldn't get used to that riding position and quickly went back to a cruiser. But I still yearned for that wonderful V-4 -- in a cruiser. 12 years later, Honda answered my prayer. :)

Anyway, hope you get to test ride one soon and figure out if it's something that could be right for you or not.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bear

I used to own a Honda Silverwing scooter, which has ergos more inline with the CTX when sitting naturally on it and not forcing your feet way out in front of you on the generous floorboards. The ergos on my BMW are much more upright than the ST, feels very similar to my old VStrom (I miss the wee), only not sitting as high. The furthest I went with the Silvering was about 150 miles from home, about 3 hours in mixed roadways and traffic, my lower back did get a little soar on the way down and way back, but not so much that I couldn't deal with it. The CTX is still an option, it's in interesting bike and I look forward to riding one and seeing if we gel.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts