CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been shopping for CTX 1300s and found several at dealers in TX. They are all 4-5 hours distance so some planning and investment in time, travel etc. add to the acquisition cost. I want to make sure I'm getting a fair deal.

I will admit I can be cheap to a fault sometimes, and everyone is looking for that unicorn deal. I don't buy and sell motorcycles on a regular basis, my current ride was bought 10 years ago, so perhaps I'm experiencing sticker shock.
I am not apposed to a dealer making a profit, they have overhead and so on, and we need them to stay in business.
I will accept the supply chain, limited availability, what have you, up to a point.

It seems like the motorcycles are on average +/- $1000 above NDAD/KBB guidelines, before adding the TTL + doc fees.

What are you noticing in your general vicinity?

Registered
I have been shopping for CTX 1300s and found several at dealers in TX. They are all 4-5 hours distance so some planning and investment in time, travel etc. add to the acquisition cost. I want to make sure I'm getting a fair deal.

I will admit I can be cheap to a fault sometimes, and everyone is looking for that unicorn deal. I don't buy and sell motorcycles on a regular basis, my current ride was bought 10 years ago, so perhaps I'm experiencing sticker shock.
I am not apposed to a dealer making a profit, they have overhead and so on, and we need them to stay in business.
I will accept the supply chain, limited availability, what have you, up to a point.

It seems like the motorcycles are on average +/- $1000 above NDAD/KBB guidelines, before adding the TTL + doc fees.

What are you noticing in your general vicinity?
Glen here in Canada. If you were to add all the prices together and divide by the number of dealers you got pricing from, you should have the average price. After that you have to choose what you want.... deluxe, standard, red, blue, miles, etc. then decide.
Around Alberta, Canada, one is hard pressed to find a used CTX1300.
That would be my 2 cents 馃榾馃弽

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As I peruse the various offers for the CTX 1300 motorcycle, either I'm getting over the sticker shock, or becoming numb to the prices and dealer add on fees.

Perhaps like prices at the local grocer, or the gas station, besides walking or inventing a new fad diet, what are you gonna do?

When a sales rep stated that it was a common industry practice to charge a set up, inspection and destination fees on used motorcycles, my first thought was why should I pay that? Especially when I was told that a m/c was a local trade in, sold new & serviced by said dealer for it's entire existence?

If they bought it from an auction, I would understand such a charge(s) and if it wasn't listed as a separate item i know it would be baked into the price somewhere else.

In the past I have purchased motorcycles from individuals, paid for a pre-purchase inspection, then after completing the purchase having various items corrected, added, and so on. When I have purchased from a dealer, especially when they are a franchise dealer of the same brand, I expect tires, brakes, lights, electrics, to be inspected and operable.

Am I generalizing, justifying, or trying to talk myself into a purchase?

That is all my musings for the moment, carry on with your day.

Premium Member
If it was traded there, I would think the destination fee to be BS. I wonder what the law is on that one.
I've purchased only one used motorcycle and there was no destination fee.
I signed a waiver on the fluid levels as I was going to do all that myself.

But what bothered me about my used purchase was the dealers lack of getting the bike ready for sale. I called two days ahead and said I was interested in the bike and wanted to test ride. When I arrived they couldn't find the motorcycle as it was still in the warehouse in the rear, not yet checked out after they bought it. I was really disappointed with the lack of attention for a potential buyer.
I bought it because I needed a bike for my upcoming yearly trip, even though there were obvious signs the bike had rear ended something. Minor damage that was easily fixed. And I needed this model because of easy access to a trailer hitch.
It had almost 10k miles on it and I later realized the oil had never been changed. It was nasty, but no damage to the engine.

Registered
I bought my CTX1300 standard almost 4 years ago at a used car dealership with 3300 miles on it. It was listed on Cycle Trader for $6800. They wanted to add $500 doc fee and TTL. I asked for the doc fee to be removed but they refused. As I walked off they asked if I wanted to talk with the owner of the dealership. He offered a price of $7000 including TTL. Ended up with a better deal. All depends on how bad they want to sell it. Everything is negotiable. Dealership owner told me later that he had paid $7500 at auction for it but hadn't had any interest in it. Was willing to take a loss to get it off the lot.

Super Moderator
2022 Matte Deep Blue Kymco AK 550
All added fees and charges by a dealer can be summed up in one word... upcharges. Yet they do need to be paid at least something for what they do to prep any bike for sale. No dealer that I know of will sell any used bike without at least checking it over to ensure it properly operates and is safe for any buyer. They really don't want to sell a bike without doing that and end up being sued for negligence if something happened to the new owner that they didn't check out before it left the sales floor. So dealer prep and documentation are the minimum expected charges to be tacked on. Destination is really just added profit if a bike was taken in by them in a trade. But sometimes they do bring in bikes from elsewhere. Dealers really do not like paying any more than they have to in cost of goods sold so they charge us buyers for stuff like that. Some dealers charge a destination fee in addition to a shipping fee. That's really double charging for the same thing. When I was shopping around for my last bike I was also shopping around for the lowest upcharges. Easier since I was shopping for a new bike and anything over the MSRP was an upcharge. Some places will tack on several thousand $$$ in upcharges. Some places only add a few hundred $$$ in upcharges. All have upcharges of some amount. ALL upcharges are negotiable to some degree if they really want to sell stuff. A dealer that won't budge on any of the upcharges is a dealer to be avoided in my book. My local Honda dealer is one such dealer so I don't buy from them. I do, however, test ride what they get in stock when possible... and then go somewhere else to buy. That's what I did when I bought my CTX1300. They still had the very same CTX1300 I test rode for the next 3 years after I bought mine and finally dropped the price to get it off the floor.

Premium Member
All added fees and charges by a dealer can be summed up in one word... upcharges. Yet they do need to be paid at least something for what they do to prep any bike for sale. No dealer that I know of will sell any used bike without at least checking it over to ensure it properly operates and is safe for any buyer. They really don't want to sell a bike without doing that and end up being sued for negligence if something happened to the new owner that they didn't check out before it left the sales floor. So dealer prep and documentation are the minimum expected charges to be tacked on. Destination is really just added profit if a bike was taken in by them in a trade. But sometimes they do bring in bikes from elsewhere. Dealers really do not like paying any more than they have to in cost of goods sold so they charge us buyers for stuff like that. Some dealers charge a destination fee in addition to a shipping fee. That's really double charging for the same thing. When I was shopping around for my last bike I was also shopping around for the lowest upcharges. Easier since I was shopping for a new bike and anything over the MSRP was an upcharge. Some places will tack on several thousand $$$ in upcharges. Some places only add a few hundred $$$ in upcharges. All have upcharges of some amount. ALL upcharges are negotiable to some degree if they really want to sell stuff. A dealer that won't budge on any of the upcharges is a dealer to be avoided in my book. My local Honda dealer is one such dealer so I don't buy from them. I do, however, test ride what they get in stock when possible... and then go somewhere else to buy. That's what I did when I bought my CTX1300. They still had the very same CTX1300 I test rode for the next 3 years after I bought mine and finally dropped the price to get it off the floor.
There Was a Harley dealer near me that priced all new bikes $2000 over MSRP. They didn't last long.
And I don't mind paying for a prep fee as long as they do it. As I said about my used bike purchase, it was never prepped so I signed a waiver to buy it that day.

Registered
I bought mine in Florida (I live in Pittsburgh, PA) in April of '22, and it was listed at $5999. It had been reduced several times, and they were elated that I was interested in it. Because it had higher miles (51,000) they even worked more with me on the pricing etc. I had it trucked home, but in retrospect, wish I had just flown down and ridden it home.
I have seen several here and on the FB page lately.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts