CTX 1300 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So today, I took my new to me CTX out for a ride. At one point, I began decelerating as I approached a red light. I was in either 4 or 5 gear, when I took my hands off the bars. The bars immediately began shaking back and forth. Put the hands back on the bars, can't feel any movement in the bars. Tires are 8 years old, replacements are on order, the bike has aftermarket grips, I don't see any bar weights. Could it possibly be something as simple as the V4 compression/torque (one bank vs the other) causing the wobble? Long ago, I had a Kawasaki XII with this problem but it only did it when I was coasting in neutral with hands off the bars.

Tomorrow, I'll try it again except without the engine decelerating the bike. If it does it again then it is either the tires or the the triple tree bearings or missing bar weights. Anyone with insight?

·
Premium Member
573 Posts
The wobble mine had was cured when new tires and balance beads were installed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Stlburd2

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did yours wobble on "in gear" deceleration or in neutral coasting?

The wobble mine had was cured when new tires and balance beads were installed

·
Premium Member
573 Posts
Well it’s been a couple years but I think I only noticed during deceleration. Don’t recall anything about neutral.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
652 Posts
As I stated in another similar thread, just about EVERY bike I have owned has done this to some degree. Usually on decel, in gear, coming down through 50 to 40mph. Best fix - KEEP YOUR HANDS ON THE BARS !! Especially at this speed. Now, I would still check the front end out. Get the weight off the front end, check for side to side play or any front to rear play. As long as nothing is amiss, I say, “ride on” But that’s just me ...

·
Super Moderator
5,676 Posts
First: I never (almost) take both hands off the bars at the same time. Just not worth the grief if something like this happens.
Second: I did take my hands off the bars as a test of a set of new tires on my Burgman 650 once (thus the "almost" above). The new front tire has VERY GOOD grip on every little crack in the pavement. Rain groves are like metal grate bridge decks depending how deep or new they are. And, yes, the bars started the famous wobble. Tires seem to be the most common issue for this, either a super sticky tread on certain types of pavement or worn. Next up seems to be steering head bearings or the nut is loose. Tapered steering head bearings solved it for many ST1300 bikes I know about. Bar end weights can also be the issue. Wheel bearings can also be the culprit.

·
Registered
680 Posts
As eluded to above.. road surface + tire tread (worn) is the main culprit I would say. I experienced this is exactly once (not even sure why both hands were off the bars) and as I recall it was on a county maintained road with that asphalt I despise [more big chunks of gravel than asphalt] factory tires just about ready for replacement - it was not a great combo. I have now tested the "look ma no hands" method a few times with replacement tires and better road surfaces with much better results.

·
Registered
2014 Honda CTX 1300 Deluxe
97 Posts
I would guess 8 year old tiers and removing your hands during deceleration are the two factors contributing to the issue. I hope you get it all taken care of.

Thanks,
James

·
Premium Member
2014 Honda CTX1300 Deluxe
1,045 Posts
This is common on the CTX1300 when the front tire is old/is worn. Your new tires will cure the issue. But, know that as your front tire wears down this 'wobble' will return, and it will occur sooner if you do not maintain proper air pressure. I recommend 40psi in the front tire at all times.

·
Premium Member
995 Posts
My 83 Wing and my 93 Wing both did that when the tires were worn. I did have the 93 steering head bearing replaced with roller bearing vs ball bearings which tend to “ notch” for lack of a better term, with a tire change. But I think tires did the trick.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
On my way to the gym, going downhill to a traffic light, I shifted into neutral at around 30mph, took the hands off the bars and the wobble surfaced. Looks like tires to me. Hope to have the new ones installed next week. Thanks for the advice.

Reactions: Stlburd2

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Mounted the new tires today and the "Death Wobble" has been cured! The bike now reacts to driver inputs like a sport bike.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts