CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am very near pulling the trigger on a CTX but have concerns because I am 6'4". I have been inquiring here about the tall windscreen and many of you have been very helpful with replies.

I went an sat on the bike at a dealer today. Loved the weight balance and bars but... my right knee/shin hits the cylinder head unless I am all the way back in the seat. Maybe 1/4" clearance when all the way back thus not allowing for any slouching.

What should I do? I love this bike but don't want to spend this kind of money and not be perfectly comfortable.

Is there another similar bike you would recommend? The dealer (stealer) said I should look at the ST but... probably just trying to get rid of old discontinued stock.

Please help!!

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
5,723 Posts
Agree about the dealer trying to get rid of standing stock on the ST1300. I am not so tall (5' 9", 32" inseam- short waist) and my shins are close to the cylinder head covers but it really doesn't bother me at all. I do sit all the way back in the seat and find that most comfortable for me. But that doesn't mean it's comfortable for everyone that way. Don't know what to tell you about any other bike that is comparable because there really aren't any that are close to the same... even though many reviewers try to compare. All I can recommend is to look for a bike with a v4 or 6 cylinder engine for smoothness and more comfortable riding that fits you best. The ST is a good machine, depending on how you feel about the more sport-like ergonomics and much shorter wheel base (I can't handle that very well but there are some who wouldn't have anything else), taller seat height and higher CG, and the same engine with different tuning. I feel I would still prefer the CTX1300 even if I had to spread my knees a bit to go outside the cylinder head covers a little. Sometimes I do that anyway on a hot day to get a little more airflow to the inside. Did the same on my GW, even when it was cooler and my wife was riding with me so the warm air from the lower heat vents would flow back to her legs. She won't ride with me much, if at all, anymore (so far twice on very short errands since April) so I'm solo for doing what I want for comfort. I can't allow myself to slouch either since that causes lower back issues if I let that happen for very long regardless what bike I'm on. Wishing I could be more help.

Perhaps give a previous year F6B a try?

·
Registered
37 Posts
I agree with the F6B suggestion - it's got the most legroom of any of the Wing derivatives, and if I'd had the same deal offered to me on an F6B I'd have one of them.

I've had GL1800 and ST1300 - both great bikes with great powertrains.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I'm 6 feet with a 32 inch inseam. I don't everyhave problems with knees hitting the cylinder heads. And I have all kinds of room to move back and forth in the seat. I have the 15 inch madstad screen pushed up all the way up and tilted back. This set up is perfect for me. You might check to see if Madstad makes a taller screen. I bet they do. I sat on an F6B when I bought my CTX. The pegs are farther back and your legs are bent back more than on the CTX. My knees can't handle that anymore.

·
Premium Member
2014 Honda CTX1300 Deluxe
1,054 Posts
I am 6'4'' and I enjoy riding my new CTX. My right knee occasionally touches the cylinder head, but it does not bother me. I installed the tall windshield on the bike and it helps but since I am tall the wind is directed at my forehead. With a full face helmet on the ride is smooth. I do mostly interstate driving.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the feedback guys!

By way of update after my disappointment of yesterday, I went to another dealer/stealer this morning to sit on a CTX again and played dumb. I have about 3/4'" to 1" of space on the right side between my shin and the valve cover. Which seems manageable? Certainly not the deal killer experience of yesterday when I was thinking that there was virtually no clearance.

Not I need to get my license so I can take a test drive before making the final decision.

I did sit on the F6B. Agree with Flytrap, a lot of room and the pegs are very far back creating an uncomfortable amount of knee bend. The look and feel of the F6B just doesn't appeal to me.

BTW: Dealers assuming all are idiots infuriates me! CTX1300D is advertised in the Dallas metroplex for $15,600 + $1,000 in accessories and this guy is trying to sell me at retail!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Thanks for the feedback guys!

By way of update after my disappointment of yesterday, I went to another dealer/stealer this morning to sit on a CTX again and played dumb. I have about 3/4'" to 1" of space on the right side between my shin and the valve cover. Which seems manageable? Certainly not the deal killer experience of yesterday when I was thinking that there was virtually no clearance.
After my second day's ride after buying my 1300, I was ready to trade it in. My right shin continued to bonk into the valve cover!

My remedy? Extend the brake pedal laterally and put on roomy floorboards.
Here's how to extend the brake pedal.

Here's the SwingWing floorboards with the brake pedal extender:

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
BTW: Dealers assuming all are idiots infuriates me! CTX1300D is advertised in the Dallas metroplex for $15,600 + $1,000 in accessories and this guy is trying to sell me at retail!
WoodmanTX, be sure and reference my post on current Honda incentives for CTX http://www.ctx1300forum.com/forum/dealers-pricing/6482-current-honda-incentives-ctx1300.html

You CAN purchase a deluxe for $14,900 today here in Chattanooga, or any high volume dealer. Don't forget to remind them about the $500 in bonus cash, free additional year of HondaCare and the 1.99% financing (if you qualify).

Best of luck in your decision!

·
Super Moderator
5,723 Posts
I believe it helps to make sure the dealer understands you are willing to travel to where the deal is best to make a purchase. Some dealers respond to this, others are stubborn and do not. My local dealer in town refuses to deal on the high price they expect. But the bigger dealer in a smaller town where I bought my bike was willing to. They were 145 miles away but after some conversation offered my the same deal that they found in Arkansas with the same discount on accessories at time of purchase. I missed the Honda bonus offers by a few months but very glad I had the bike to ride in the mean time. Be willing to travel a little to find the best deal and you will find it. I would have travelled anywhere in the state to find the best deal. The worse that could happen is a few hours travel. The best is you'd get to have that ride back home on a fantastic bike :D

·
Registered
53 Posts
I'm just under 6'3". Uuuggghh... don't know my inseam.:350x700px-LL-66dd6d

·
Registered
53 Posts
Well, what size pants do you buy?
I just grab the ones that say 34-36 waist, and then if they actually fit and aren't too short, I buy'em!
(who knew my lack of inseam knowledge would be my downfall).

·
Super Moderator
2,174 Posts
I just grab the ones that say 34-36 waist, and then if they actually fit and aren't too short, I buy'em!
(who knew my lack of inseam knowledge would be my downfall).
Hey, whatever works. If only we could buy bikes that way! :D

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Update: Took the 2 day Riders Education Course this weekend and got my license today.

I have weekend business the next 3 but will take some test rides after that.

Even though the rider course bikes were small, my skills and confidence came back very fast. Maybe I hadn't forgotten as much as I thought in the past 30 years!

·
Registered
105 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Test rode it yesterday -- awesome handling and everything else y'all have talked about. Air flow with the tall windscreen hits me on top of the helmet. Don't think it will be a problem. Right valve cover is tight but manageble.

Bought it today! Red Deluxe. Good pricing here in Dallas. Got it for $14k. Added tall windscreen, center stand and heat grips.

Thanks for all your help!

·
Super Moderator
2,174 Posts
Test rode it yesterday -- awesome handling and everything else y'all have talked about. Air flow with the tall windscreen hits me on top of the helmet. Don't think it will be a problem. Right valve cover is tight but manageble.

Bought it today! Red Deluxe. Good pricing here in Dallas. Got it for $14k. Added tall windscreen, center stand and heat grips.

Congrats and welcome to the fambly! :D

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
Congrats! :D Good choice on the color too!! :smiley-happy0034:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts