CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wondering what were the feature was the most important in your decision to buy the DELUX? ABS, Traction, sound system ect.

·
Super Moderator
5,721 Posts
Hello ResKin and welcome!

For me it was in order:
1. A reliable bullet proof proven foundation with the engine and drive train from the 12 year old ST1300 with minor modifications to bring the power down to the lower range (BTW- a much more useable range for me since I would never rev the engine high enough to find the power band on the ST).
2. ABS/TC system.
3. Comfort! The foot position first of all is the best for me. And that seat is as comfortable to me as any after market seat.
4. Riding style/configuration. Goes with first part of #3 .

I would have kept my ST1100 if not for these items of interest. However, the feet were really too far back for maximum comfort making me lean too far forward. Yet the ST was better than any other option until now since it is much lighter than a GW and the feet are NOT way forward or way back, which causes me back or wrist problems.
My GW was the most comfortable for distance riding of any other choice that I had but was too heavy and bulky for what I wanted for most of my riding, the commute. The CTX1300A is the equal to what I recall of my GW for distance and is also light and nimble in town making it my ideal commuter. Just what I've been looking for since I sold the GW.

·
Registered
764 Posts
I bought the Deluxe instead of the Standard to get ABS.

Traction Control is also nice.

I don't need Audio, but I've enjoyed using it on my Blue CTX. I've never paired anything to the Red CTX.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Appreciate the feedback. Just started to ride about a year ago at the young age of 62. Was riding a Harley Fat Boy, but felt riding position was uncomfortable, and generally felt behind the the bike, not to mention noisy, hot and rough ... but classic looks.
Tried the CTX and immediately felt on top of the ride and more in control. It just seems like a more refined piece of technology. Plus it is cool looking.
So I was sold on the platform, but got the basic instead of the Delux. After about a week I began to feel I made a mistake in not getting the ABS. I guess it is not a problem money can't fix ... That is if ABS on a motorcycle is a valuable safety feature.

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
I wanted ABS... period. The bluetooth has been fantastic, I have Spotify premium and stream music every time I ride.

·
Super Moderator
5,721 Posts
... After about a week I began to feel I made a mistake in not getting the ABS. I guess it is not a problem money can't fix ... That is if ABS on a motorcycle is a valuable safety feature.
There are many very good riders who would rather not have ABS. If you learn how to use regular brakes properly it becomes debatable how much safety they add. For most riders, IMO, they do help in those times of panic stopping when it's hard to think about braking the "right" way. This is the first bike I've had with ABS and really haven't needed them to come on yet. Though I did scrape a peg today on my ride taking a corner a bit faster than I anticipated and felt the chatter on my foot on the peg... just add a little more gas and slide my butt to the inside on the seat a bit to pull it up. No big deal. It's an automatic reaction to me.

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
It sounds silly, I know, but... One of the reasons I went with the Deluxe was because I couldn't stand the idea of looking at those speaker grills and buttons and knowing that they didn't really do anything. I have not had occasion to use the ABS, but the Traction Control has saved me from one wet-ramp disaster at least. Yes, I know: I could have avoided the need for the TC with a little foresight and some extra care, but you know what? My bike didn't slide off the ramp so I'm happy. :)
Given that the extras are not that expensive, around $1500, I think it makes sense to get the Deluxe. I also like the look of the blacked out components, so that was a positive too. Like all things, it boils down to your own preference, and no one here is going to sneer at you no matter which you choose.

·
Super Moderator
2,174 Posts
I did not get the Deluxe because I don't like the idea of a machine that thinks it can drive better than me or thinks it knows what I want to do more than I do. In my experience, with the exception of ABS, all this electronic crap at some point does something I do not want it to do, which I find more intrusive than helpful. In the case of the CTX, that applies mainly to TC and self-cancelling turn signals -- things I could not see paying extra for that would most likely detract from my riding experience. As for the sound system, two thoughts come into play here -- 1, I do not want/need the added distraction of fumbling around with tunes on the bike; they're enough of a distraction in the car as it is. And 2, the road and the wind when on the bike are all the music I need. OK, three thoughts -- music playing loud enough to hear on the bike is most likely going to be loud enough to be annoying to somebody else. I know that's the case many times when I hear a bike go by with the stereo blaring, and I don't want to be one of those people.

I actually originally had a deposit down in a blue Deluxe, then changed my mind after giving it more thought. And now with one riding season pretty much in the books, I do not regret that decision one bit.

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
I did not get the Deluxe because I don't like the idea of a machine that thinks it can drive better than me or thinks it knows what I want to do more than I do. In my experience, with the exception of ABS, all this electronic crap at some point does something I do not want it to do, which I find more intrusive than helpful. In the case of the CTX, that applies mainly to TC and self-cancelling turn signals -- things I could not see paying extra for that would most likely detract from my riding experience. As for the sound system, two thoughts come into play here -- 1, I do not want/need the added distraction of fumbling around with tunes on the bike; they're enough of a distraction in the car as it is. And 2, the road and the wind when on the bike are all the music I need. OK, three thoughts -- music playing loud enough to hear on the bike is most likely going to be loud enough to be annoying to somebody else. I know that's the case many times when I hear a bike go by with the stereo blaring, and I don't want to be one of those people.

I actually originally had a deposit down in a blue Deluxe, then changed my mind after giving it more thought. And now with one riding season pretty much in the books, I do not regret that decision one bit.
Completely agreeable points. It would have been awesome if Honda had designed an alternative dash treatment though. But that would have been expensive to implement, and if you ever upgraded in the future, it would leave you with a huge plastic paperweight and you would be out more money for the replacement dash.
I think it just depends on what you want/need out of a motorcycle. When it comes down to it, that's true if you are talking about swapping out windshields or adding a backrest or using the audio system or any other "modifications." I also think it's worth it to get expensive socks... but not everyone else agrees. :)

·
Registered
314 Posts
I got the deluxe mainly because the model that was the color I wanted was the deluxe. But ABS was the only thing that I used to justify my choice.

But I have found that the breaks are so good on the CTX1300, that you probably will not miss the ABS. In fact, as I wrote about some time ago, I tried my best to test out the ABS in a rain storm, and could only get one or two "blips" out of it no matter how I jumped on the brakes.

·
Registered
413 Posts
It sounds silly, I know, but... One of the reasons I went with the Deluxe was because I couldn't stand the idea of looking at those speaker grills and buttons and knowing that they didn't really do anything. I have not had occasion to use the ABS, but the Traction Control has saved me from one wet-ramp disaster at least. Yes, I know: I could have avoided the need for the TC with a little foresight and some extra care, but you know what? My bike didn't slide off the ramp so I'm happy. :)
Given that the extras are not that expensive, around $1500, I think it makes sense to get the Deluxe. I also like the look of the blacked out components, so that was a positive too. Like all things, it boils down to your own preference, and no one here is going to sneer at you no matter which you choose.
I totally agree about the speaker grilles. That would have driven me absolutely crazy. And I also prefer the blacked-out elements. That said, I haven't felt like I needed any of the other Deluxe features in my 2500 or so miles of riding so far. I just have learned to enjoy the speakers occasionally cause they're there.

Can you describe what exactly happened involving the TC system kicking in? I haven't had a TC system on a bike before and wouldn't know what it would feel like if it activated.

Jeff

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
Replying on my phone, sorry if this is too brief. Basically, I was putting my bike back in my shed and there is a ramp at the door. The ramp was wet, and halfway up the rear tire started to slip and it skidded eight just a few inches when I saw the TC light come on the dash and the skid stopped. If it had gone off the edge, the rear tire would have dropped about a foot and dumped the bike with me on it in the doorway. The tire just stopped sliding, it didn't pull the bike backward and I was able to easily drive up into the shed. :)

Reactions: V0X

·
Registered
413 Posts
Replying on my phone, sorry if this is too brief. Basically, I was putting my bike back in my shed and there is a ramp at the door. The ramp was wet, and halfway up the rear tire started to slip and it skidded eight just a few inches when I saw the TC light come on the dash and the skid stopped. If it had gone off the edge, the rear tire would have dropped about a foot and dumped the bike with me on it in the doorway. The tire just stopped sliding, it didn't pull the bike backward and I was able to easily drive up into the shed. :)
Oh, I read your account of that story before and had forgotten about it. When you said "ramp" earlier I was thinking highway on-ramp versus a ramp into a shed!

Still, glad to hear the TC has its uses in cases like that!

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
I chose the Deluxe model because I liked the looks of the blacked out frame and the black wheels, I like the extra features that the Deluxe model has over the standard model. That's my own opinion though. To me it was worth the extra money to get the Deluxe model. I really like the Bluetooth Audio system too! I say get the one that you will be most happy with. If you're thinking that you want the Deluxe model then I say get it, because it a pretty big investment and you don't want to always wish that you had went ahead and splurged for the Deluxe model. :D

·
Registered
92 Posts
Can the traction control be turned Off?
or is it non defeatable?

I think the only time ABS is a good alternative is if the brakes on the bike are very powerful. and can over power traction in a dry situation, then it would be a must have.

I dont mind having the TC, for panic situations, Lots of deers crossing the roads where i live, and 30 or more wild Turkey's cross the road in a single file line across the road.

or bad weather riding.

Like on the Yamaha FJR1300, that forum has more than a few riders that have gone down on their bikes after losing front wheel traction in the curves.

·
Registered
413 Posts
yes, you can disable TC

There's a TC off button on the left of the row of controls on the top of the faux tank.

·
Registered
446 Posts
(...)

I think the only time ABS is a good alternative is if the brakes on the bike are very powerful. and can over power traction in a dry situation, then it would be a must have.

I dont mind having the TC, for panic situations,(...)
I think you're mixing TCS and ABS together :)

ABS ensures your wheels don't lock (i.e. stop turning) under either very hard braking or loose ground (water, ice, gravel, mud etc.).

TCS ensures your rear wheel doesn't spin and skid either under hard acceleration or, once again, loose ground. In cars, this is known as ASR.

Only TCS is defeat-able on this bike, last button on the left, hold for 2 seconds and visually confirm "TCS Off" indicator lights up in the dashboard.

Hope that clears it up :)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts