CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys n gals,
I’m due to exchange my 2020 glide for a 2015 ctx with only 5k miles tomorrow !!
I’m getting buyers remorse. Before I’ve even bought.
Am I doing the right thing??

to let you know, I’ve ridden10 k on the glide this year, and coming from adventure bikes previously,
I now know that I want glide seating position and smoothness,(ahhh!)
Looking forward to your comments.
Alan .uk.

·
Super Moderator
2022 Matte Deep Blue Kymco AK 550
5,772 Posts
Welcome @Guzzialan
I think you know what we would recommend. ;)
Make the trade. I think you'll like it a lot. Don't know what the seat height is on the Glide, but the CTX has a lower seat height than any adventure bike and lower than sport touring bikes. It is a very relaxed comfortable ride and yet still more than able to handle aggressive riding if you choose.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome @Guzzialan
I think you know what we would recommend. ;)
Make the trade. I think you'll like it a lot. Don't know what the seat height is on the Glide, but the CTX has a lower seat height than any adventure bike and lower than sport touring bikes. It is a very relaxed comfortable ride and yet still more than able to handle aggressive riding if you choose.
Thanks Bob,
I’m glad you said that,as in researching the ctx, I was amazed at the forums love for it.
Never seen that before.
I’ve based my decision on what I have read here on this forum and u tube and haven’t actually ridden the bike. Gulp!!

·
Registered
110 Posts
I think the choice has to be yours. I'm betting that everyone on this site loves their 2014 CTX. Is it as smooth as a glide ?? I personally have no idea, I've had a lot of bikes and they have all been good choices. I have 60K klm on my CTX and would not trade it for a wing (Honda world). Riding for 50 years.The drawbacks in my opinion are: no cruise control, should have one more higher gear and the mirrors are poorly positioned. The +'s are everything else, all day rides, a bulletproof engine, looks great, responds great (engine and riding), feels great and is almost 100# lighter than a glide.
I would recommend the CTX to anyone.
Glen

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think the choice has to be yours. I'm betting that everyone on this site loves their 2014 CTX. Is it as smooth as a glide ?? I personally have no idea, I've had a lot of bikes and they have all been good choices. I have 60K klm on my CTX and would not trade it for a wing (Honda world). Riding for 50 years.The drawbacks in my opinion are: no cruise control, should have one more higher gear and the mirrors are poorly positioned. The +'s are everything else, all day rides, a bulletproof engine, looks great, responds great (engine and riding), feels great and is almost 100# lighter than a glide.
I would recommend the CTX to anyone.
Glen
Hi Glen,
Thanks for your input,my exact thoughts too.
With only 2 reply’s (after 15 minutes of my posting) I’m there, happy and full of confidence 😀
Many thanks

·
Registered
709 Posts
Kinda hard for me to pitch in about the ride, because I bought my bike 3-1/2 years ago at 8,800 miles with upgraded suspension both front and rear. What I CAN offer up is a testament that, yes - the bike has typical Honda reliability, and yes - it is a very capable mid-weight touring bike. Mine now has over 41,000 miles on it. I’ve ridden it from the southern tip of Texas to North Carolina, and south Texas to Virginia. Put over 3,000 miles on it each of these trips in 7 to 8 days. Never once had a hiccup. Heck, I didn’t even check the engine oil the whole trip!!! And last year at the Meetup in northern Georgia, went blasting around the Suches area at speeds MUCH faster than I should have on those twisty roads. There is still a little “sport” in this sport tourer, even though it’s more on the “tourer” end of the scale. With all the things it CAN do, with a comfy upright seating position, it’s a no-brainer. Trade the Harley. This bike is fun - in so many different ways!!!

Now - maybe I can get you to scrounge me up all the painted body panels - in white - and box them up and ship them to me here in the states .... :cool:

·
Premium Member
2014 Honda CTX1300 Deluxe
1,113 Posts
Kinda hard for me to pitch in about the ride, because I bought my bike 3-1/2 years ago at 8,800 miles with upgraded suspension both front and rear. What I CAN offer up is a testament that, yes - the bike has typical Honda reliability, and yes - it is a very capable mid-weight touring bike. Mine now has over 41,000 miles on it. I’ve ridden it from the southern tip of Texas to North Carolina, and south Texas to Virginia. Put over 3,000 miles on it each of these trips in 7 to 8 days. Never once had a hiccup. Heck, I didn’t even check the engine oil the whole trip!!! And last year at the Meetup in northern Georgia, went blasting around the Suches area at speeds MUCH faster than I should have on those twisty roads. There is still a little “sport” in this sport tourer, even though it’s more on the “tourer” end of the scale. With all the things it CAN do, with a comfy upright seating position, it’s a no-brainer. Trade the Harley. This bike is fun - in so many different ways!!!

Now - maybe I can get you to scrounge me up all the painted body panels - in white - and box them up and ship them to me here in the states .... :cool:
Yup... this guy knows.

Nice!
Chris

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wel, today was the day.
went to the dealer, did the deal and off I went home , about 11/2 hours away.
let me tell you guys that you were all correct.
i cannot believe how much fun it is.
it’s like dancing on your toes, no heavy ness to the front end, beautifully balanced, great road manners and soooo stable in the twisters.
I can see a long and happy friendship develop with my ctx, and the beauty of that is that no one has ever heard of the bike let alone seen one.
happy riding
And thanks againfor your comments and support
Alan

·
Registered
709 Posts
Congrats, Alan !!! The love affair should just get stronger from here!

Be sure to post up a pic of the beast when you get a chance. We like pictures!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Congrats, Alan !!! The love affair should just get stronger from here!

Be sure to post up a pic of the beast when you get a chance. We like pictures!!
I sure will
I'm glad you like it Alan, that was the same feeling for me a few years back :)
hi Glen
Yeah, I was a little nervous that I’d made the wrong choice but as a man of 60 and a previous 80 motorcycles of all styles I know this will do me just fine.
now I don’t need sport bikes for obvious reasons, for me adventure bikes are great but , tall and not always comfortable for me, cruisers
I like and I think can look fab, but for my style of riding, quickish and stable handling, then the ctx seems to win all fronts hands down.

·
Premium Member
1,086 Posts
Start thinking of your answer to the frequent question, "What is that?"

Mine - "It's a four cylinder Gold Wing."

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hi guys n gals,

to let you know, I’ve ridden10 k on the glide this year, and coming from adventure bikes previously,
Alan .uk.
Pros
Bullet proof smooth powerful engine at the right power band
Cons
Throttle sensitivity
Harsh ride
No cruise
No blinker shut off
LOVE IT THOUGH

Enjoy yours

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Pros
Bullet proof smooth powerful engine at the right power band
Cons
Throttle sensitivity
Harsh ride
No cruise
No blinker shut off
LOVE IT THOUGH

Enjoy yours
I sure am!!
Everything is really great apart from the suspension.
I’ve taken the bar end weights off and that has taken away all the finger numbing shock coming through the front.
Just need to sort out the rear now, as twice , I’ve been bounced nearly out of my seat.
really enjoying it though and I can’t stop going to the garage to take a look at her.
is that sad .??

·
Registered
19 Posts
Good Morning Everyone,
I bought my CTX1300 Deluxe July 2018, and I've had byers remorse from the time I drove it out. This was a special order and I had to put a nonrefundable $500.00 deposit. I will tell that I have a 30" inseam and I was tippy toe when I stopped. Don't get me wrong, Honda makes a mechanically great bike, however their ergonomics suck. The rearview mirrors were a hard to use, when coming up to a stop sign I had to make sure my pant leg didn't get caught on the foot peg, or kick stand tang, I can't tell you the number of times I almost dropped the bike because my left pant leg got caught up with the left foot pedal or the kick stand tang or the four times I dropped it from a stop sign because the front wheel went right and folded up underneath the bike, I believe that this drive train suffers from torque steer and if your not careful you will have problems. I owned a CTX 700 and one of the great features of that bike was the forward pedals for the rear brake and gear shift, as well as removeable saddle bags the problem I found with the CTX 700 was it was under powered. In the summer of 2020 I went on a road trip to the pacific northwest putting 2,200 plus miles on it, asking myself why Honda didn't have electronic cruise control, my right wrist and fingers were num after a couple hours of driving. I thought I could make this bike fit me, little did I know that there was very little after market products available. I could go on and on about the problems I've had with this bike and some of the problems were my issue. In September of this year 2 days before I went on vacations I dropped the bike after a stop sign, four nice people helped me pick it up, and I announce out loud, "That's It, I'm getting rid of this !!!! Bike". So on OCTOBER 1, 2021 I went over to a Harley-Davidson Dealer and bought a 2021 Harley Davidson Softail, Street Bob. I've never been a fan of HD, having said that they have a bike that fit me, and if I want to modify something it can be done.
Regards to all
Chuck

·
Registered
380 Posts
Wow, sounds like the CTX wasnt for you! Hope the Street Bob is more your thing.

I dont like the ergonomics of foot forward cruisers, and never really got used to the forward-ish floorboards on the Heritage Softail I once owned. That, with the solid mounted engine and crummy seat made for a great bike if I was doing 60mph for 60 miles, but beyond that it was harsh. Didnt stop me from touring with it though. And lots of folks like it...

I have never heard of or felt torque steer on a CTX...I think it is a very neutral and balanced ride (including stop and start). I remember I dropped it early on as I wasnt used to the kickstand swinging so far (came from sport bike) and didnt completely extend it before leaning it over. The beast has an early point of "no recovery"!

Enjoy your new ride!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi guys n gals,

Alan .uk.
Hello Alan,
You've had the bike a week now, how are you liking it? I have 3 bikes...all Hondas...a 2006 VTX1300, a CTX1300 and a 2014 Valkyrie. The CTX is my favorite of them all!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Wow, sounds like the CTX wasnt for you! Hope the Street Bob is more your thing.

I dont like the ergonomics of foot forward cruisers, and never really got used to the forward-ish floorboards on the Heritage Softail I once owned. That, with the solid mounted engine and crummy seat made for a great bike if I was doing 60mph for 60 miles, but beyond that it was harsh. Didnt stop me from touring with it though. And lots of folks like it...

I have never heard of or felt torque steer on a CTX...I think it is a very neutral and balanced ride (including stop and start). I remember I dropped it early on as I wasnt used to the kickstand swinging so far (came from sport bike) and didnt completely extend it before leaning it over. The beast has an early point of "no recovery"!

Enjoy your new ride!
The beast has an early point of "no recovery"
Be careful if your legs are a little short, and top heavy especially with a full tank.
Regards VenturaHwy

1 - 20 of 30 Posts