CTX 1300 Forum banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Hello Alan,
You've had the bike a week now, how are you liking it? I have 3 bikes...all Hondas...a 2006 VTX1300, a CTX1300 and a 2014 Valkyrie. The CTX is my favorite of them all!
Hi Easyrider
I’m going riding at every opportunity before the weather here breaks,just to really get used to her,as the winter will be a great time to change things I’m not happy with.
So, with 2 tanks of fuel under my belt,a new tall Honda screen fitted today and the handlebars adjusted yet again, I think I have the perfect riding position(probably find it was the original position in the first place😜)
At 70mph on motorway a small amount of wind, not buffeting, hits my head ,not uncomfortable.
At 90 mph all is still and serene and I can still hear the music coming from the speakers, just.
Very very comfortable.
I’ve adjusted the rear suspension again, not sure weather it’s max hard or soft as haven’t worked it out yet, but it seems ok and hasn’t boinged me out of the seat today, though I wouldn’t call it plush by any stretch of the imagination.
The front end is great on smooth roads as we all know, but it’s a heck of a bang when you hit a pothole, think I will go to the hyper pro springs and try the 5wt oil and hope that does the trick. Buy the way I’ve taken the bar end weights off which has made a big difference to the finger numbing experience.
So overall I think it is a really super bike, it’ll tour in complete comfort, that’s for sure,
And I’m finding more and more confidence in the twisties and realise that it is so stable, you get a feeling of invincibility as I’ve had no “moments”as of yet.
When researching, the bike jurnos would talk about the de tuned engine as a negative, but I’m finding that Honda really got it right for real world road riding.
It’s just brilliant.

so ,there you go, loving it , thanks for asking.
Nose Face Cheek Head Glasses

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Hi Easyrider
I’m going riding at every opportunity before the weather here breaks,just to really get used to her,as the winter will be a great time to change things I’m not happy with.
So, with 2 tanks of fuel under my belt,a new tall Honda screen fitted today and the handlebars adjusted yet again, I think I have the perfect riding position(probably find it was the original position in the first place😜)
At 70mph on motorway a small amount of wind, not buffeting, hits my head ,not uncomfortable.
At 90 mph all is still and serene and I can still hear the music coming from the speakers, just.
Very very comfortable.
I’ve adjusted the rear suspension again, not sure weather it’s max hard or soft as haven’t worked it out yet, but it seems ok and hasn’t boinged me out of the seat today, though I wouldn’t call it plush by any stretch of the imagination.
The front end is great on smooth roads as we all know, but it’s a heck of a bang when you hit a pothole, think I will go to the hyper pro springs and try the 5wt oil and hope that does the trick. Buy the way I’ve taken the bar end weights off which has made a big difference to the finger numbing experience.
So overall I think it is a really super bike, it’ll tour in complete comfort, that’s for sure,
And I’m finding more and more confidence in the twisties and realise that it is so stable, you get a feeling of invincibility as I’ve had no “moments”as of yet.
When researching, the bike jurnos would talk about the de tuned engine as a negative, but I’m finding that Honda really got it right for real world road riding.
It’s just brilliant.

so ,there you go, loving it , thanks for asking. View attachment 47313
By the way, I have in the stable, a ktm 950sm,triumph street scrambler,and a Bmw r100rs 1982.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Looks like your mind is made up, so I'll mention these three things for the possible benefit to others: CTX 1300 Mirrors suck out loud. Fortunately, I have a good service guy and he pulled a pair of mirrors off of the wall display at his shop and mounted them for me for free. They screwed into existing threads on the handlebars. I was out $22. Second, I have put nylon wire ties on my throttle for over thirty years. The throttle is a mite stiffer, but it works fine. I can take my right hand off the bars and rest it so long as I don't have to adjust my speed. When you wrap the tie around the bar (between throttle and base) tighten to suit. Leave a tail on the tie when you clip it so that it can be snugged up as it relaxes over the miles. Lastly, I always ride with 17" boots. I went to them 40 years ago when I rounded a curve on a country road and ran over a large lively snake. The front tire threw it up against my right calf and I swear I thought it went up my pant leg. It did not, but I still get chills thinking about it. I tuck my pants into the boots and ride with comfort. The occasional rock thrown up on the interstate hitting me in the shin is not much of a problem with this level of protection. I ordered them online from Chipawa, an American Company. Don't know if they are still making boots. Police supply stores will carry them as well for motor officers, but they will be much pricier. I have four bikes now which I ride in rotation and I LOVE my CTX. I'm 80 years old, which may explain why it suits me so well. I think it's gorgeous, too! Red, of course.

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Kinda hard for me to pitch in about the ride, because I bought my bike 3-1/2 years ago at 8,800 miles with upgraded suspension both front and rear. What I CAN offer up is a testament that, yes - the bike has typical Honda reliability, and yes - it is a very capable mid-weight touring bike. Mine now has over 41,000 miles on it. I’ve ridden it from the southern tip of Texas to North Carolina, and south Texas to Virginia. Put over 3,000 miles on it each of these trips in 7 to 8 days. Never once had a hiccup. Heck, I didn’t even check the engine oil the whole trip!!! And last year at the Meetup in northern Georgia, went blasting around the Suches area at speeds MUCH faster than I should have on those twisty roads. There is still a little “sport” in this sport tourer, even though it’s more on the “tourer” end of the scale. With all the things it CAN do, with a comfy upright seating position, it’s a no-brainer. Trade the Harley. This bike is fun - in so many different ways!!!

Now - maybe I can get you to scrounge me up all the painted body panels - in white - and box them up and ship them to me here in the states .... :cool:
Can I ask what you did for the suspension upgrades? I love most everything about my CTXD, but I wish I could dial in the suspension a bit better than just spring preload settings. My other ride is a 2011 WeeStrom, and the damp/rebound adjustments for the rear monoshock smoothes out the ride in a way I wish I could get with my CTX. Would welcome your suggestions/experience with your upgrades...

Reactions: Stlburd2

·
Registered
709 Posts
Well ... I didn’t upgrade it. Bought it that way. See attachment below. Have not made any adjustments whatsoever to the suspension since I bought it. How the previous owner had it set up is exactly as it is now.

Probably not much help, but it’s the truth ...
Font Material property Screenshot Terrestrial plant Parallel

:geek:

·
Premium Member
1,086 Posts
21 - 30 of 30 Posts