CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my 14" Cee Bailey windshield arrived today. Was pretty easy going.... only thing was the left mirror was a challenge to get seated again. I think I maybe mixed the bolts up and didn't put them back in the place they came out from and maybe that had something to do with it. Anyhow..... I have a huge gap across the middle where the gasket doesn't touch. I can't remember if there was a gap on the stock shield. Anyhow.... do any of you guys that have installed other windshields, specifically the Cee bailey, do they look like this? Now I did have the vent added, I wonder if the shape is a little flatter to accommodate the gold wing vent. Thoughts?????

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
By the way..... I went for a quick ride.... back roads and up an exit on the Interstate and trust me..... this is the best $276 you can spend on the CTX. It's fantastic!!!

·
Super Moderator
2,174 Posts
So my 14" Cee Bailey windshield arrived today. Was pretty easy going.... only thing was the left mirror was a challenge to get seated again. I think I maybe mixed the bolts up and didn't put them back in the place they came out from and maybe that had something to do with it. Anyhow..... I have a huge gap across the middle where the gasket doesn't touch. I can't remember if there was a gap on the stock shield.
Check the 'fingers' on those clips that get bolted in and hold the pins on the mirror cover. It's very easy to fold one down when pressing the cover back in place, and if you do, the cover won't go all the way back on.

But yeah, that windshield is maybe the best purchase I made on this bike. :smiley-happy0034:

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well.... I've had the mirrors on and off so many times now I have one of the bolts with the receiver cross threaded. All is ok with the mirrors, but my problem lies with the little weather strip. Tried everything and it winds up like that every time after all I tighten all 4 bolts. Hmmmmm..... I watched the video and mine does not just pop right in and line up as simply as the one in the video. :mad::mad::mad:

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm thinking maybe I tightened the windshield allen bolts down a little too much. I will take it apart tomorrow and see if that does it. When I took the stubby OEM shield off, they were very, very loose. I have them fairly snug.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Resolved......

I put the little foam adhesive square under the velcro on the Cee Bailey just like it was on the OEM shield. I also put it right in the middle just like it was on the OEM, but if you line the stubby shield up with the new one while it's still installed, you see right where the old velcro squares line up and it's not in the middle. It's above where it was on the stock shield. I put new velcro right there and also left out the foam backing and the cover went on perfectly and simply. Can't believe it even gave me trouble to begin with now.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yes, I concur. It makes all the difference in your riding comfort. Just a few inches and I no longer have the noise and whirl about my head. I now drive in comfort and peace!

Loren
Superior, WI

·
Registered
157 Posts
Resolved......

I put the little foam adhesive square under the velcro on the Cee Bailey just like it was on the OEM shield. I also put it right in the middle just like it was on the OEM, but if you line the stubby shield up with the new one while it's still installed, you see right where the old velcro squares line up and it's not in the middle. It's above where it was on the stock shield. I put new velcro right there and also left out the foam backing and the cover went on perfectly and simply. Can't believe it even gave me trouble to begin with now.

You only used the Velcro without any foam backing at all directly on the windshield?

·
Super Moderator
5,723 Posts
On the OEM shields (both shorty and tall) I don't recall any foam on the industrial Velcro patch. It's really not the normal Velcro (hook and loop) but both sides are the same. It's 3M Dual Lock like THIS item from Amazon. I bought mine from Radio Shack (Superlock there but says Dual Lock on the backing strip). Holds a LOT better than hook/loop Velcro. I also use this for my Gerbing heated gloves controller during colder months. I imagine you would want to use the same on any shield from any maker since that is the stuff on the front garnish to which the shield fastens.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Correct. The ones on the stock shield had the white double sided foam under the locking strip. It was too thick for the cover to fit right so just went with the 3m lock strip bare.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Correct. The ones on the stock shield had the white double sided foam under the locking strip. It was too thick for the cover to fit right so just went with the 3m lock strip bare.

I bought the 3M Velcro yesterday and put it on without the foam backing. I still have a small gap....should there be washers on the backside of the windshield between the bracket? I'm puzzled.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I bought the 3M Velcro yesterday and put it on without the foam backing. I still have a small gap....should there be washers on the backside of the windshield between the bracket? I'm puzzled.
I had the same issue..... but I had the 3M stuff just right in the middle like it was on stock screen. Problem is it doesn't line up like that on the CB. I put the stock screen over the CB at its own mounting points to see where the 3M spot lines up. For me, it was up higher and once I moved it up..... cover snapped right in.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I had the same issue..... but I had the 3M stuff just right in the middle like it was on stock screen. Problem is it doesn't line up like that on the CB. I put the stock screen over the CB at its own mounting points to see where the 3M spot lines up. For me, it was up higher and once I moved it up..... cover snapped right in.

Even with the Velcro perfectly lined up I have a gap. I don't want to crack the plastic by putting a lot of pressure on it to close the gap either. I'm baffled.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am 6' 1'' and am wondering what would be a good size for me. I like to have that wind protection and was wondering what a good size would be. Thoughts?

Loren (in Superior WI)

·
Registered
157 Posts
Gap still exists. I'm certain that it's the vent they put into the shield. It changes the contour. I'm kinda pissed to be honest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
157 Posts
Yeah that's worse than mine for sure. Maybe a small section across the middle sits a little off. I couldn't even get the cover on before.

I did everything as instructed....I sent cee baileys an email. I'm hopeful that they either send me a new shield or refund the money. Very disappointed in this product.

This is why I should ALWAYS buy oem stuff. Smh.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I did everything as instructed....I sent cee baileys an email. I'm hopeful that they either send me a new shield or refund the money. Very disappointed in this product.

This is why I should ALWAYS buy oem stuff. Smh.

After mounting my oem tall shield I have a small gap there also. Haven't investigated it yet because I thought I may screw something up worse trying to fix it.

Need a taller windshield anyways, the measurements that were posted in another post makes me think I need the CB 18" shield, I'm 5'11" and like to have the top of the shield just below my line of sight. keeps you a little drier in the rain without having to lean forward and down so much.

Is the CB 16'" tall enough for you? Let us know what Cee Baileys says.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts