CTX 1300 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Was just reading a CTX review, and it mentioned, "At lower revs, the shaft drive delivers a jacking effect..."

35 years ago I had an 82 Honda CB900 Custom. It had a shaft drive and that thing used to raise up several inches in the rear every time you accelerated from a standing start or blipped the throttle at lower revs. I'd always assumed it was attributed to being such an old shaft driven bike or is it a common trait with all shaft drive bikes?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Nope cannot feel a thing, however I might be prejudiced becausr majority of my bikes were shaft driven.
NTV 650, NT 600, VX800, BT1100, GS1150
Not a big fan of chains.

CTX does not particularly like low revs, e.g. below 1500. But no other bike likes it.
You can moderate the input to the rear wheel by using clutch while acceleration from standstill.

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
Was just reading a CTX review, and it mentioned, "At lower revs, the shaft drive delivers a jacking effect..."

35 years ago I had an 82 Honda CB900 Custom. It had a shaft drive and that thing used to raise up several inches in the rear every time you accelerated from a standing start or blipped the throttle at lower revs. I'd always assumed it was attributed to being such an old shaft driven bike or is it a common trait with all shaft drive bikes?
The "jacking" you described is the shaft pinion gear riding on the wheel gear, causing a loading of the suspension. On the CTX I haven't felt any jacking. However, on my 1976 GL1000, at slow speeds, there is a noticeable riding on the gear. After 40 years Honda worked it out.

Don't get too hung up on reviews. You will never find 100% of the reviewers giving 5 stars. Try reading Amazon reviews and you'll know what I mean. Go for a test ride and visit a dealer.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hey Longrider - noticed your other post about reviews also. I actually looked at this bike a couple of years before buying one, Long front end seemed intimidating. I put a bid on my bike but told the dealer I would not buy until I could test ride. I was sold 200 yards out of the parking lot. The only complaint I had was the rattling in the handlbars (much talked about in forums and resolved by removing the weights in the grips). Otherwise no mods, just additions for touring (I actually like the mirrors - they work great for me). Forget the reviews and go test ride one. Cheers

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks. I would absolutely LOVE to test ride one, the only problem is, there isn't a CTX1300 for sale with 500 miles of me. And yes, I hear you about the reviews, that's why I figured I'd ask you guys.

·
Registered
21 Posts

I have bought, refurbished, repaired and resold hundreds of motorcycles in the past 45 years. Some early 80’s bikes had pronounced issues with the driveshaft jacking the rear of the bike. Some of the worst ones would lift what seemed like 2” when releasing the clutch from a dead stop.
I have put thousands of miles on my CTX1300 with zero noticeable issues in that regard. If you have jacking issues on a CTX1300, you need to investigate what is causing the issue immediately. Something is worn and/or loose.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hey Longrider - noticed your other post about reviews also. I actually looked at this bike a couple of years before buying one, Long front end seemed intimidating. I put a bid on my bike but told the dealer I would not buy until I could test ride. I was sold 200 yards out of the parking lot. The only complaint I had was the rattling in the handlbars (much talked about in forums and resolved by removing the weights in the grips). Otherwise no mods, just additions for touring (I actually like the mirrors - they work great for me). Forget the reviews and go test ride one. Cheers
I too like the mirrors and get about 90% vision from them.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts