CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you use to keep your hands and feet dry in rainy weather, particularly cold rain? I wear a good pair of boots and heated gloves. But neither keep out 60mph rain. Have tried several waterproofing treatments to no avail.

I'm considering shoe covers like these

Glove covers get poor reviews. Would rather cover my heated gloves than buy a new pair of unheated waterproof gloves. I don't have heated grips.

·
Super Moderator
2022 Matte Deep Blue Kymco AK 550
5,809 Posts
I've always worn water proof boots and I have 3 pair of water "resistant" gloves. I also wear Frogg Toggs over all my gear which fully covers down to my ankles and well below the top of the boots (boots are 11-12 inches tall so up my ankle a bit) and the sleeves cover my wrists.

My boots used to be just a waterproof membrane which worked well for several seasons but then would start to leak before the boot was really very much worn. Now I am wearing Gore-Tex boots which I am hoping will last much longer. Feet have always been dry as long as the membrane holds.

My Gerbing heated gloves have been proven waterproof since 2006 and still going strong. My TM PolarTex gloves are mostly waterproof but after many seasons have started to seep a little after a prolonged rain. My TM DryMesh gloves (for when it's not so cool out) also seem to seep after a prolonged rain but likely it's more sweat than water leaking in. I wear my Frogg Toggs sleeve OVER my DryMesh gloves for best results but under the gauntlet of my PolarTex gloves with the gauntlet cord pulled tight on the sleeve. I've never really been uncomfortable in heavy rains yet. When it's hot out my Summer Elite gloves, though not waterproof, are all I need since I really don't care if my hands are wet in hot temps. Actually feels good in those conditions.

I also have a pair of 3 finger glove rain covers. While they did keep the rain out I found they were rather clumsy while I was wearing them so don't use them for safety reasons.

A long time ago before I wore proper mc boots I used boot covers similar to those you linked to. I found they did keep my feet dry but were clumsy to put on and were starting to wear through on the top of my left toe. Also, I needed to make sure my rain suit covered the tops of them or rain would get inside. That was when I was using a vinyl rain suit and found I was getting soaked from sweat more than from rain, even in moderate temps.

·
Premium Member
1,082 Posts
Frog Toggs are great and don't heat up like rubber rainsuits. I spray my boots twice a year with silicone sealer but have some slip on rubber boot covers if I know I'm gonna be in it all day. Rubbermaid rubber gloves will keep out the water to your hands but get em big enough to fit OVER your normal gloves. Worn under your hands will stay dry but be cold when your gloves are soaked. They may look dumb but who cares if your dry.

·
Registered
811 Posts
I use water proof leather gloves saturated with water proofing spray and I have the heated grips option that work really Well. I have water resistant boots with water proofing spray applied to them as well. I wear a two piece rain suit over my mesh jacket and pants. Ridden all day in the rain on trips and keep very dry.

·
Premium Member
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Should have mentioned that I want something that packs small for trips. I have been soaked for multiple days and it ain't as much fun. I have a good rain suit but it takes too much valuable space, i.e. about 1/3 of one side bag. Do them Frogg Toggs compress well?

·
Super Moderator
2022 Matte Deep Blue Kymco AK 550
5,809 Posts
FT do compress fairly well. Can be compressed to something smaller than a pair of sneakers placed together heal to toe. I fold mine about 10 inches wide and then roll them and fit them in their carry bag. That can then be compressed more to maybe 7 inches long by 5 inches diameter. Maybe even more with a compression bag.

Frogg Toggs are not the most durable material as far as handling them when putting on or taking off so care should be taken not to force them on/off. But with care mine have lasted for almost 8 years so far now and kept me dry in major toad strangler torrential rains. I have the Road Toad version with the luminescent piping. They have better seam taping and are a bit more durable.

·
Premium Member
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I ride in Arizona.. what is this rain you all speak of?
I guess you leave during the monsoons? I'll still take the rain and cold over the haboobs and desert heat. Having lived in Prescott for two years, I've seen both sides.

Thanks to all for your advice. I will order a set of Frogg Toggs and look for a better sealer for my gloves and boots.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I ride in the rain and wear Bilt's version of FTs over my boots. I use a waterproof set of cheap motorcycle gloves and usually buy a new pair every other year. For non/light-rainy weather I wear a pair of leather gauntlet gloves, heavy cowhide that are waterproofed with SnoSeal along with my boots, but with all leather goods waterproofing will slowly wash away over time.

I wear a Sedici Mesh Jacket that is waterproof enough to keep me dry for about 3 hours, then need to stop and let it dry out some. It has three layers, the middle which is a waterproof membrane that works. I could ride longer, but the jacket does get damp. It's about time to wash it and get it sprayed with some Scotchguard for the winter season.

For pants, I wear a pair of CQR tactical pants that are water resistant and dry quickly. I use Scotchguard on them as well every season. When it's really coming down, I have a pair of waterproof snow pants that I use, or Bilt tornado pants and a jacket for the times that I need to ride in a monsoon. But I don't keep them on the bike.

I hate to get cold as I get older, so layers work best to keep warm and help to keep dry. Long sleeve Heat shirts and long johns keep the heat in and also help to keep dry.

·
Premium Member
607 Posts
My Tourmaster boots have held up well for rain, using "OutDry", their laminate name. For shorter rides I sometimes just wear my hiking boots which are gore tex. For my jacket and pants I simply throw on a gore tex layer. I did buy some Klim gore tex gloves for summer rain and my Gerbing heated gloves seem to be waterproof as well. For the "main" areas - my body - I have never found anything that works as well as gore tex and I'm a very firm believer in it whether riding or walking. Of course with all this said I'm a fair weather rider when riding local but when on longer rides and riding in the rain I've never gotten wet at all.

As a side note - when we were up in the NC mountains for the last East coast meetup we were riding in the rain for a little while on the last day. I didn't put on my over pants as I just didn't care if I got a little wet. However! when we got back to camp I noticed my legs were dry! My Bettie (and yours) gives pretty good protection for a little while...

Reactions: Stlburd2

·
Premium Member
2014 Honda CTX1300 Deluxe
520 Posts
Chemical gloves (long) from Harbor Freight. Cheap, one piece and 100% water proof.

·
Super Moderator
727 Posts
Chemical gloves (long) from Harbor Freight. Cheap, one piece and 100% water proof.
Do you wear them OVER another piece of gear?

I am curious because most of the gloves at HarborFreight provide very minimal abrasion protection.

·
Premium Member
2014 Honda CTX1300 Deluxe
520 Posts
I do not buy chemical gloves from Harbor Freight for abrasion protection.... the gloves are used for the rain only.

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
What do you use to keep your hands and feet dry in rainy weather, particularly cold rain? I wear a good pair of boots and heated gloves. But neither keep out 60mph rain. Have tried several waterproofing treatments to no avail.

I'm considering shoe covers like these

Glove covers get poor reviews. Would rather cover my heated gloves than buy a new pair of unheated waterproof gloves. I don't have heated grips.
Currently wearing a Joe Rocket jacket with just silicone waterproof spray that seems to work well. I have a Gerbing jacket to put inside the Joe Rocket and heated gloves.
For warmer weather, I keep a set of Frogg Toggs in my saddlebag. To make the pants more waterproof I sprayed PlastiDip on the inside. Works great. I also use it to spray the bottom of the tent. It seals that plastic tarp bottom really well. And I'm thinking of spraying it on my gloves too. It seems to work nice on nylon.
For my feet, I just use leather boots with waterproof.
I've never had any luck with synthetic leather. The junk cracks easily.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts