CTX 1300 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
@bradntx, there is a time-out for how long you have to edit a post from the original posting time. I think this is about 5 mins, or maybe 10, I don't remember. Moderators and admins can edit any post at any time. I'm a moderator so haven't needed to remember how long the time-out is.

If you really need to edit the first post in the thread just let one of us moderators know what you want edited and we can do it for you. Or just append information to a new post as you mentioned. Either way works.

·
Registered
23 Posts
@bradntx, there is a time-out for how long you have to edit a post from the original posting time. I think this is about 5 mins, or maybe 10, I don't remember. Moderators and admins can edit any post at any time. I'm a moderator so haven't needed to remember how long the time-out is.

If you really need to edit the first post in the thread just let one of us moderators know what you want edited and we can do it for you. Or just append information to a new post as you mentioned. Either way works.
Ok, no big deal. The biggest thing that is going to nag me is that I can't go back and fix my typos. I found several in my other posts. It's just grammatical and punctuation but it does annoy me a bit. I have to admit, knowing that my typos are now written in stone so to speak on the internet is going to force me try to do a better job with everything else I write up going forward. :eek:

·
Registered
352 Posts
One should not have to do that. I belong to many bike forums and this is the only one that doesn't allow edits once another post is made.

·
Super Moderator
5,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@BlueThunder, it's not that you cannot edit after another post is made. It is that there is a limit on time you have to edit the post, after which you can't.

I agree that this is not common to forums in my experience as well. Most (but not all) allow you to edit any of your posts at any time.

·
Premium Member
979 Posts
Limiting the time limit on editing is necessary for forums with contentious discussions, when you don't want someone changing a position and then complaining that others have misrepresented his/her content. Not so much here, when the hottest topic is the type of oil we use.

#freetheedit.

·
Registered
352 Posts
What is the limit? I made a post, someone else responded, I tried correcting a typo in a url referenced in my post and couldn't after an hour from the second post.

IMO, the edit timeout is more of a hinderance than a positive. I would prefer if this feature was eliminated.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Limiting the time limit on editing is necessary for forums with contentious discussions, when you don't want someone changing a position and then complaining that others have misrepresented his/her content. Not so much here, when the hottest topic is the type of oil we use.

#freetheedit.
While this is sound logic, all that is required is what I just did. You quote them. If they change their post later so it is completely different, then the quoted reply stands for continuity.
The ADVRIDER forum allows editing back to the beginning and this is the technique used to keep continuity for those so inclined.
But quoting also lends to comical situations in which the person quoting will alter the text on occasion (as I've done for humor).

Unlimited editing also give the user the opportunity to edit links if they expire or photo links if the host is changed. (Not just catching/correcting your own grammar)

·
Super Moderator
5,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Both sides of this have merit. Perhaps a @ctx1300admin is reading and can respond regarding this issue.
I think the time out is 10 minutes, but not positive. This is usually plenty of time to proof read a post and edit for corrections right away or delete if you changed your mind about a post you just submitted. But there are also times when something is missed until much later, or a link has changed, and then only a moderator or admin can edit the post. As I mentioned earlier, any moderator (including myself) can edit any post for you if there is a correction that you missed within the time out limit. Just send one of us a PM.

·
Premium Member
979 Posts
I find if you add BEER ,, changing becomes less of an issue !!!
Beer is the answer, whatever the question.

Beer is not the answer? Must be a stupid question.

I thank you.

Reactions: Rp007 and BDOgre

·
Administrator
294 Posts
The time limit for editing posts is currently set to 15 minutes. We have a limit as on some of our other forums, some members have gone back and deleted/ removed all their content in the threads, thus making the threads useless or incoherent to read. We implemented the limit to avoid that.

Niall

·
Registered
352 Posts
I can understand this feature on a political site but on this site?? Just an annoying feature. Just my $0.02...

Reactions: willajabir

·
Administrator
294 Posts
As Niall mentioned there have been issues in the past where people have gone back and edited out all their posts. If you need something edited after the posts locks you can report the post and ask for an edit of the post.

Danniella

1 - 14 of 14 Posts