CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, suppose it had to happen. Dropped my bike doing a slow u turn in a tight cul de sac. Glad I had the rear crash bars on, no damage to panniers. Grazed right hand mirror and engine protecter. More annoyed with myself than anything else. A guy was washing his car and came over to help me. :( Oh, broke a spotlight as well. :(:(

· Premium Member
854 Posts
I've dropped mine several times in my yard. Put my foot in a small hole. Muddy grass. Another muddy spot low on the left side, nothing to put my foot on. At least no one was watching.
Plant Vehicle Plant community Automotive tire Motor vehicle

I needed the extra help because the ground was so slick with mud. Crunched the mirror. I need to get the right glass cut so I don't need to replace the entire mirror bracket.

· Premium Member
1,171 Posts
I've dropped mine several times in my yard. Put my foot in a small hole. Muddy grass. Another muddy spot low on the left side, nothing to put my foot on. At least no one was watching.

I needed the extra help because the ground was so slick with mud. Crunched the mirror. I need to get the right glass cut so I don't need to replace the entire mirror bracket.
Few years ago, I dropped mine and broke the left mirror, a few days before five day trip with a friend. Thought the same about just replacing the glass. Took it to a glazier, who said he only had glass for household mirrors. The result - left mirror had a noticeable higher magnification than the right, which was disorienting. Plus I couldn't see as much in the new glass. I gave up and later replaced the whole assembly.

Maybe a glazier who specializes in cars? Even then, a car mirror likely does not have the same magnification.

Lemme know what you find. I may break it again, now that I know how. :rolleyes:

Reactions: Stlburd2

· Premium Member
854 Posts
Few years ago, I dropped mine and broke the left mirror, a few days before five day trip with a friend. Thought the same about just replacing the glass. Took it to a glazier, who said he only had glass for household mirrors. The result - left mirror had a noticeable higher magnification than the right, which was disorienting. Plus I couldn't see as much in the new glass. I gave up and later replaced the whole assembly.

Maybe a glazier who specializes in cars? Even then, a car mirror likely does not have the same magnification.

Lemme know what you find. I may break it again, now that I know how. :rolleyes:
This was last spring, already bought the whole assembly.
One of these days I need to track down someone who has the right glass.
I bought a set of handlebar mirrors that had plain glass in them. I had to take them off because, like you, the field of view was so narrow. And it was so confusing using them in conjunction with the stock mirrors. Same lights appeared like two different vehicles. I drive a truck and there are two mirrors on a side, one is a wider field of view. So I just can't get out of the habit of using both mirrors, and the handlebar mirrors just screwed up the depth perception really bad. Objects in mirror were much further away than they appeared.

· Registered
11 Posts
I had the same issue on my CTX1300 Deluxe - broken / cracked glass - after dropping the bike. Found a product on Amazon called Q-BICS Flexible Adhesive Mirror. It is a plastic sheet that is highly reflective and can be cut to size to the mirror contour with scissors. From 5 feet away, it looks also like a piece of glass. Rear visibility is excellent. Best part is the price. Cover has been on for two years with no issues on the adhesion, bubbling, peeling or distortion. See link for greater details.

· Premium Member
1,171 Posts
Same here. First time I took the wife for a ride. She had never ridden before. As soon as we pulled in a friends driveway she was up and hopping off before I got my footing and down we went. After that, and the only time in our married life, when riding she waited for ME to tell her what to do. 😂🤣
It's your superpower!

Reactions: gordinier

· Premium Member
854 Posts
I think I should win this "most embarrassing moments" contest. Two of the bikes I bought through the years, I dropped them the day I bought them. One of them because I "forgot" to deploy the side stand.
Did that one too. I normally kill the engine with the side stand, but had used the kill switch once. Then got off and forgot about the side stand. Oops!

· Premium Member
854 Posts
Looks like I’m in the right place. Somebody gave me a hit and run the other day. Do these things look good as bobbers/naked??
Cheese and rice! They really did a number on you.
I'd say they would look pretty good stripped down. It's something I'd like to try on mine, but I have to deal with a top box, trailer hitch and saddlebag guards. I'll do it some day.
One more thing, any security cameras nearby?

· Registered
3 Posts
Cheese and rice! They really did a number on you.
I'd say they would look pretty good stripped down. It's something I'd like to try on mine, but I have to deal with a top box, trailer hitch and saddlebag guards. I'll do it some day.
One more thing, any security cameras nearby?
Cops are looking at the Walmart instant replay tapes. Hope they got a license plate for whoever clipped me.

· Registered
863 Posts
Only time I dropped mine was ... with the spousal unit on the back ... at a restaurant parking lot ... out of state ... while attending a CTX meetup in Dahlonega ... with all my forum buddies watching! Damned sloped parking lots in those hills got the best of this flatlander!! But - had lotsa help picking it up ...

Reactions: Stlburd2

· Premium Member
1,171 Posts
Only time I dropped mine was ... with the spousal unit on the back ... at a restaurant parking lot ... out of state ... while attending a CTX meetup in Dahlonega ... with all my forum buddies watching! Damned sloped parking lots in those hills got the best of this flatlander!! But - had lotsa help picking it up ...
2017 Can Am Spyder F3-S Daytona 500 edition .... IBA #71578 .... - problem solved!

· Premium Member
1,290 Posts
Been there did that on the right side not parked but riding. Went all the way over like yours and that’s WITH menosabe’s crash guards in the rear AND his highway peg mounts up front. My own fault. Stopped facing downhill at a parking lot exit but didn’t down shift. Making a right outta the lot I rolled forward and started to turn. Eased out clutch (still in 3rd gear) and killed it right then and there. Cost me a new mirror and cover. Hope they find good film for ya. Was that on side or center stand? Stay safe.

· Registered
3 Posts
Been there did that on the right side not parked but riding. Went all the way over like yours and that’s WITH menosabe’s crash guards in the rear AND his highway peg mounts up front. My own fault. Stopped facing downhill at a parking lot exit but didn’t down shift. Making a right outta the lot I rolled forward and started to turn. Eased out clutch (still in 3rd gear) and killed it right then and there. Cost me a new mirror and cover. Hope they find good film for ya. Was that on side or center stand? Stay safe.
Side stand. Still waiting to see what the police report says.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts