CTX 1300 Forum banner

What engine heat do you feel?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone noticed that their bike gives off a lot of heat on the RIGHT side? After riding for a good hour, it's uncomfortable on the inside of my right calf if I hug the "tank" with my legs, even though I wear textile pants over my jeans. With my hand, I can feel a significant difference in heat compared to the left side, especially on the black plastic panel between the seat and the cylinder head. Also, the top right fairing storage gets quite hot inside, and I'm concerned that it wouldn't be good for me to put my iPod in there.

I can also feel that the plastic cylinder head cover, the painted panel just below the seat, and even the top of the big metal plate (black on the Deluxe) is pretty warm too. Even the cylinder head and radiator fins feel much hotter on the right side. All the panels on the LEFT remain pretty cool in comparison, just barely warm, if at all.

I have less than 100 miles on the bike (Deluxe). I was wondering if it's normal for this engine, as I've read on the forums that the ST1300 had a lot of heat problems like this, but I haven't been able to find mention of this on the two CTX 1300 forums that I've found.

If it's NOT the normal "nature of the beast" I'm thinking of taking it back to the dealer for them to check it out, as I don't want the engine to be damaged. I know that these engines produce heat, but it wouldn't concern me so much if the heat was EQUAL on both sides. What do you think? :350x700px-LL-66dd6d

· Registered
105 Posts
I believe this is normal. If you look carefully at the bike, I believe the right side of the engine is a bit further out from the side of the bike and thus closer to your right leg.......I stand to be corrected but I think this is right......

Compared to my HD I find it cool... :)

· Registered
227 Posts
For those who say they don't feel any heat, wait til the summer! This thing puts out some heat and it hits you in the thighs and rolls up into your chest unless you hang your legs out away from the bike.

· Registered
797 Posts
I had no problems with heat on either of my bikes last summer.

However, average summer temperatures have been dropping where I live. Last year I only rode a handful of days above 90F. Based on what I've seen over the past decade, I think we're headed for an ice age.

The closest thing I had to a heat issue was one day when the air from the engine got into my Seat Beads and warmed up my underside a bit.

I used to have a Harley Electraglide. It was really bad for heat. I don't understand why those machines are so popular.

· Super Moderator
2022 Matte Deep Blue Kymco AK 550
6,118 Posts
Yes, the ST1300 has heat issues, but not really the kind of issues that caused damage as much as caused discomfort for the riders. I have yet to feel as much heat on my CTX1300 as is reported on the ST. I believe much of that is due to the ST engine is much more covered in plastic and the CTX is much more open. It still produces heat, but my ST1100 was hotter and that was considered normal also. The engine in the CTX was shifted over to the right a little bit to make allowance for the drive shaft to clear the wider tire compared to the ST (per the World Honda web site) and also the right pair of cylinders are farther back than the left (alternating cylinders) so they are closer to you.

An option missing in your poll is:
[] I do feel a little more heat on the right.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.