CTX 1300 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I use GN4 Honda oil as recommended. Some dealers in Alberta do not carry this now. They recommend a new "ester" synthetic. When I researched this oil it has a lot of good features for the engine but not for the clutch. I am thinking of using an older 10W30 that would be better for the transmission. Any thoughts on this topic?

·
Super Moderator
5,516 Posts
This is a subject of many threads on many motorcycle forums including this one. I have my preferences on what oil to use but don't try to tell others what they should use other than to point out 2 VERY IMPORTANT features, one of which you alluded to in your post. Since this bike has a "wet" clutch engine oil is shared with the clutch so care must be taken not to use any oil with certain extra slippery additives that WILL harm the clutch. In the USA (don't know if other countries have this labeling) there is an API Service circle. The inner hub shows the viscosity, but the important part to pay close attention to is the bottom of the outer ring. If that part is blank then it is a good oil to use for our bikes. But if that part of the circle states "Energy Conserving" or "Resource Conserving" then stay away like the plague! These have additives that will destroy a wet clutch. The other thing is something that will be on the label, likely in the smaller print, that will be on oil jugs found everywhere. You want to look for oil that is classified or certified for JASO MA/MA2. Any oil that is so certified is designed for a wet clutch. If you see JASO MA/MA2 then that oil should be safe to use. A great many riders I know use Shell Rotella T6 which is a full synthetic, is JASO MA/MA2 and has the blank outer lower ring. I've been using it in all my bikes for the last 17 years starting with my Gold Wing. There are many other brands and viscosity of oils that are also marked for JASO MA/MA2 (JASO MA or JASO MA2) so you should be able to find something suitable and it is your choice within those 2 limits.

·
Registered
597 Posts
@Glen Chapman

I see you are part of the friendly north - Canada.

These part numbers might be of some assistance:
Pro GN4 Motor Oil quart08C35-A141M01
Pro GN4 Motor Oil gallon08C35-A141L01

because while your local dealer might not carry it in regular stock, they most surely can still get it / order it for you.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks folks, yes to all, I will stick with the GN4 as long as possible. Bob, your info was informative, thank you.
Glen

·
Registered
80 Posts
I have been using Castrol Actevo for the last couple of decades in ALL of my bikes with no issues.
In fact, they always shift better with this oil.
The Honda dealer here in Tx also recommends and sells it, though I often buy it at Walmart.

Reactions: Stlburd2

·
Registered
47 Posts
I use the synthetic oil recommended for the Goldwing. Never had an issue with it and after 5 to 7k miles ( I know, I know) the oil looked great. I pick it up at the Honda dealership.

·
Registered
810 Posts
I pick up 10w30 Amsoil motorcycle full synthetic oil at my Honda dealership as well. There are many fine oils out there just use the proper oil and brand is not all that important. Just what you get used to using. Mobil one motorcycle oil is great also. I have not seen the Castrol motorcycle oil here in Ohio before. Honda does not make their own oil so it is private labeled for them and I’m sure it is great oil as well.

Reactions: Stlburd2
1 - 7 of 7 Posts