CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The first of October marked the fifth month of ownership and 7000 miles for Rhapsody (Rhapsody in Blue...with a nod to Gershwin)

The journey has been punctuated by various peaks and tweaks of both form and function. Some have had great effect; others minor and/or a matter of preference.

I thought I'd make the list for anyone contemplating similar adjustments.

The bike was ordered and delivered with heated grips, touring shield and luggage rack. At time of sale I insisted upon installation of 90 degree angled valve stems and a Battery Tender pigtail.

1. Immediately replaced OEM pegs with Kury swing outs. (6'1" tall; needed a little more flexibility with foot position)

2. Immediately fashioned a leather protector for the rear area of the "tank" where the seat joins it. (Prevents zipper/button chafing on tank)

3. Immediately installed 2" convex mirrors at the outside edges of the OEM mirrors. (Work very well; most effective at night)

4. Removed OEM handlebar weights and replaced with 3D printed ABS end caps.(Changed the entire handling personality of the bike)

5. Replaced OEM brake and clutch reservoir caps with chrome farkle
(Personal preference)

6. Replaced OEM clutch lever with GL1800 adjustable clutch lever. (Minor difference, but welcome)

7. Replaced OEM valve covers with Honda aftermarket chrome valve covers. (Personal preference, but I think Honda should have put these on the Deluxe model as standard equipment. Bike has attracted significantly more attention with the additional shine)

In 52 years of motorcycling, the CTX 1300 has the smoothest power-train and best balance of any bike I've ever owned or ridden. (And I include both my GL1500 and XV1900 in that assessment).

Finally, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but for me the CTX1300 is a beautiful machine (in blue, of course):)

From a cost perspective, the CTX1300 has cost me less in "mods" than virtually any other motorcycle I've owned.

This is of course, my unbiased opinion.

Ride safe

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Forgot to include installation of Grip Puppies as soon as I took delivery. Major effect and work well with heated grips.:tongue:

Reactions: bob

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
I like the cut of your jib! I've done a couple of the same mods myself. I used a cheap-o sportbike "tank" protector and put small blindspot mirrors (about the same size as a nickel, I think) on very soon after purchase. I completely agree with you on the chrome valve covers. That is the only chrome bodywork piece that is calling out to me right now. Maybe Santa will bring them. :D

Reactions: hamood613

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Maybe Santa will bring them. :D
When he does, remind him to include a set of mounting grommets!

I was incensed beyond the entire range of my nautical vocabulary when I discovered that with an accessory listing for $349, Honda does NOT include the 4 rubber grommets that go into the mount holes of the new equipment. You'll have to scavenge them from the OEM valve covers.:mad:

I took the liberty of expressing my outrage directly to Honda including such words as "egregious betrayal of customer loyalty" "nefarious" and "cheapskate":wink:

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Please provide links for the handle bar weights that you installed if you can.
I wish there was one:mad: I searched several vendors before asking a favor from a friend.

I have a good friend who's an engineer with access to a 3D printer. I sent him the weights I removed and told him I only wanted a 3/4" handlebar extension. He took the measurements of the OEM weights, stuck in his CAD software and told the printer what to do.

The end caps are essentially trim; they weigh only an ounce or so. The real handlebar weights are inside the handlebar itself. The OEM weights that extend beyond the handlebar are overkill and set up a painful resonance when the bike reacts to rough road.

Some others on this forum have come up with decorative end caps. Probably easier for those without the heated grips.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts