CTX 1300 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up my Blue Deluxe Friday evening and have put over 200 miles on it over the weekend. Everything was great with the bike.

One this I noticed was a lot of brake dust on the rear wheel. What was a black wheel was now gray. Anybody else notice this - should I be concerned and what do you recommend for cleaning this off?

Thanks, Ivan

·
Super Moderator
5,676 Posts
I don't touch the brakes for that and I do have gray rims now. But most of that is road scum from riding on a lot of rain soaked roads. So far every time I plan to get out to wash the bike it rains. Some day when it doesn't I plan to simply clean the rims. I did wipe the rim in one spot to see how hard it would be to clean off. Not hard at all. My finger almost cleaned that spot to new with no effort... wiped right off.

·
Registered
446 Posts
H&S: you may want to wear a dust mask if you plan to brush it off without water and you may NOT want to use compressed air to blow if off the rim. Even if it doesn't contain asbestos anymore nowadays, brake dust is no compliment to your lungs ;-)

·
Registered
131 Posts
Yup

Picked up my Blue Deluxe Friday evening and have put over 200 miles on it over the weekend. Everything was great with the bike.

One this I noticed was a lot of brake dust on the rear wheel. What was a black wheel was now gray. Anybody else notice this - should I be concerned and what do you recommend for cleaning this off?

Thanks, Ivan
I have noticed the same issue which bugs me. I have about 1000 miles now and cleaned them both 4 times. Rear is worse ... Maybe because it get used more since linked brake only hits only one piston Of fronts = less pressure there.

I use car soap and mitt then wipe dry with a rag. I do a section then roll forward a bit. PIA to need to do so often plus w/o center stand left side is hard to do. :(

·
Registered
761 Posts
I just turned past 5000 miles and I've not yet washed the bike. As long as the brake dust spreads evenly, it looks just fine.

I'll start washing when the salt appears in December.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I just wipe down the rims after each ride with a spritz of cleaner and an old t-shirt. The cleaner keeps the dust from flying around.

The black rims sure get grey - especially the rear one.

·
Super Moderator
5,676 Posts
rode on wet streets to work and back today. haven't cleaned the rims yet but the rear rim was almost clean! not so much the front. Most likely that was just from the really heavy rain that fell just before leaving work. The bike was leaning away from the direction of the rain so the rear was very exposed to it. There was a lot of flash flooding, but not on my route.

·
Registered
165 Posts
So from reading the thread, can I assume this this excessive rear brake dust is nothing to be concerned about?

I also am experiencing a lot of brake dust on both long and short rides. Seems way too much for just 'road grime'.

Is this normal?

·
Premium Member
2014 Honda CTX1300 Deluxe
1,045 Posts
So from reading the thread, can I assume this this excessive rear brake dust is nothing to be concerned about?

I also am experiencing a lot of brake dust on both long and short rides. Seems way too much for just 'road grime'.

Is this normal?
Yup.

·
Registered
81 Posts
It's not brake dust; it's road grime. I found that out after the 2nd time I cleaned the wheels on my blue deluxe (front was mostly spotless while the rear was filthy). I cleaned them one night, then the following morning I took the bike to work. Two areas along my drive have me passing an apartment construction site and an industrial construction site. Though not obvious on dry days, I do notice brownish water pooling on the road when it's raining. I also drive by a soil/mulch/gravel depot, and the residuals from the dump trucks are visible on the road - even on dry days.
When I returned home from work that day, the back wheel was just as dirty as before I cleaned it, but the front was pretty much still spotless. I guess where I'm getting at with this long-winded dissertation, is that I think the wide 200mm rear wheel is the culprit. The flat, wide profile of the back wheel picks up all of the dust kicked up by the front tire, and the rotation of the rear wheel has a gravity (or is it inertia?) effect that essentially presses the dust/grime onto the wheel. BTW - my commute is 12 miles round trip. Counting every stop sign, and assuming I hit every red light, I hit the brakes 13 times each way, and the max speed limit is only 40 mph, so it's difficult for me to see this as brake dust.

·
Premium Member
98 Posts
I think that Lazelod is onto something. Since I picked up the CTX in late February I've only ridden it 54 miles one day in March. Checking the bike out the following day I noticed the filthy rear wheel. The little 54 mile jaunt included, maybe, 2 dozen brake applications. If the rear brake pads are putting out that much dust, and wearing down that fast, they may need replacing by the the time I hit 5000 miles. The roads/streets, after a long winter, are awfully dirty up here and there is plenty of filth to collect on wide, flat wheels. It could also be pads just wearing in, but I think it's mostly dirt.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Are you guys sure about this 'road grime' comments on the thread? See the attached -- this is after a 1,100 mile 4 day ride. Seems very excessive! Nothing on the front.

Anything to be concerned about?

BTW I have 3,700 miles on my CTX.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,676 Posts
Remember the exhaust exits near the rear tire axle. I think it's the combination of the exhaust and road grime mixing and coating the rim. I just turned over 8000 miles last week and will be changing the oil and doing other maintenance tomorrow. But my rear tire doesn't show nearly that much grime, and I am thinking of how they were before I cleaned them last month at about 5000 miles since the previous cleaning and riding through the winter in central Iowa. I wouldn't worry about it... just clean more often if it bothers you. :)

·
Registered
151 Posts
My rear wheel looks like the one in the photo above after several days of riding. And while it does look like brown dust, the wet rag gets completely black! The stuff wipes right off. There is no oil leak attracting the dust.

I bought my bike used. I rode it 300 miles on the freeway to get it home. I rarely touched the brakes! The rear wheel looked like the one in the photo when I got home.

I'm sure the w-i-d-e wheel and centrifugal force are factors. I doubt brake dust is. Exhaust could be.

Be thankful for engine air filter.

Reactions: bob

·
Premium Member
2014 Honda CTX1300 Deluxe
485 Posts
Try this: Clean the rear rim. Go for a bike ride but DON'T use your rear brake. Go home. Is the rear dirty? If yes, its road grime, if not, then its brake dust.

Report back to us and we can help if its brake dust.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Try this: Clean the rear rim. Go for a bike ride but DON'T use your rear brake. Go home. Is the rear dirty? If yes, its road grime, if not, then its brake dust.

Report back to us and we can help if its brake dust.

How do you not use the rear brake? Aren’t they linked?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
555 Posts
Do not think brake dust remember your exhaust blows down not back.
I think most is exhaust when you sitting at lights blowing dust onto wheel.

To not use your brake use your gears to slow down. You have to plan a lot sooner to stop. But once you are down to idle speed in first then pull in clutch put down feet.
Only works well out of city so get out of city first.

Then clean rear rim and go for 20-30 miles then stop without brakes and see what it looks like. Sure it will not be clean but not as dirty as city driving. But then clean the wheel go back down country roads using your brakes as often as possible and check if there is a difference.
May take you some time but you will be riding out in the country where this bike shines.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts