CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
Hi Dennis, none reported as of yet. Consensus around here so far appears to be that most members seem happy with the exhaust. I think it sounds really great on deceleration and engine braking.

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
I've contacted COBRA to see if they're going to be offering any exhaust or slip on mufflers for the CTX and they told me that as of right now they don't know when or if they will be offering any. :350x700px-LL-66dd6d I hope that they do sometime here in the near future, cause I will most likely be getting them. I know they offer some for the F6B, so maybe they will offer some for the CTX soon.

Hi does anyone know if any manufacturer has produced any Exhausts yet??

·
Super Moderator
2,174 Posts
How long before somebody starts experimenting with drilling holes in the stock baffles? :D A friend if mine got an awesome sound out of his stock Valkyrie mufflers (the old Valk, not the new one) by drilling straight into each of the three tubes coming out of each can and then trimming off the 'pig ears'. Sounds like a Ferrari now, without the obnoxious loudness of some full systems like the Cobra 6-packs.

Trouble with our bikes is, it's tough getting really a good sound out of a V-4 -- it's not as simple as just stuffing an open baffle in a pipe. I heard one system on a ST1300 (I think it was Two Brothers) that sounded pretty nice, but then I've also heard several on various Magnas that sounded like crap.

Myself, I wouldn't want anything too much louder than the stock system on the CTX -- maybe just a little more rumbly. Which would probably make me shy away from anything from Cobra, as most of what I've heard (and owned) from them are just loud.

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
I don't think I will be the guinea pig on drilling out any baffles. I would like just a little bit more of a deeper tone from my exhaust.

How long before somebody starts experimenting with drilling holes in the stock baffles? :D A friend if mine got an awesome sound out of his stock Valkyrie mufflers (the old Valk, not the new one) by drilling straight into each of the three tubes coming out of each can and then trimming off the 'pig ears'. Sounds like a Ferrari now, without the obnoxious loudness of some full systems like the Cobra 6-packs.

Trouble with our bikes is, it's tough getting really a good sound out of a V-4 -- it's not as simple as just stuffing an open baffle in a pipe. I heard one system on a ST1300 (I think it was Two Brothers) that sounded pretty nice, but then I've also heard several on various Magnas that sounded like crap.

Myself, I wouldn't want anything too much louder than the stock system on the CTX -- maybe just a little more rumbly. Which would probably make me shy away from anything from Cobra, as most of what I've heard (and owned) from them are just loud.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Guy's, If you look in the end of each muffler only one of the outlets allows exhaust gas out so I grabbed a punch, starting with a small one and working up to a 25mm diameter punch, shut my eyes and opened up the second outlet. the bike is still not loud but I can now hear the exhaust while idling and riding and with a deeper rumble. I haven't noticed any adverse effect to rideability or any extra power but at least I don't have to check the tacho to see if it is still running at traffic lights
see ya

colin

·
Registered
764 Posts
I think the CTX1300 is already way too loud. I wish Honda had made it sound more like a Gold Wing.

There is no reason for a vehicle to make a lot of noise. That just disrupts the environment for all the folks who happen to be nearby. I wish every vehicle sounded like an electric vehicle.

One version of the 2015 Mustang pipes exhaust noise into the stereo system so the drivers can feel like they're manly without disturbing the neighbors. We need something like that for motorcycles.

·
Registered
143 Posts
This is weird...because you would never consider owning a Harley unless you have changed the pipes to something aftermarket. The Harley's I have owned, I purchased new and drove them with the stock pipes for about 3 days, and just had to, had to go get some pipes. On any other machine, it seems they aren't as relevant.

My ST1300 had a set of slip-on's that gave it a mellow tone that when you cracked the throttle, they would growl. I enjoyed them, because when you rode with a pack of bikes, you could hear the bike ok, and it would get peoples attention as I would leave them in the dust because of the tone at full tilt.

I probably will keep the pipes stock on the CTX, but have experience drilling the "outlets" and that seems to be a cheap mod that gives the bike a little more character. I did this to my Yamaha Bolt and it worked very well. I do like the look of the stock pipes, the chrome looks great and I like the size of them, they appear proportional to the length of the bike and I don't want to alter that stock look.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I'm with Miks on this, too! I really think this is the first bike I'm going to leave the exhaust alone.

On my past Harley's I too had changed the mufflers or the entire exhaust system, even on my BMW I had changed to a Remus slip-on (but it really didn't make that much of a change in sound), on the recent Honda CB1100 I changed to a great looking and sounding Staintune from Australia ($830 for a muffler! But it was really nicely hand made of polished stainless steel).

Maybe I'm just getting older, maybe a little wiser, I think I'll just ride it as it is. Quite satisfying stock, but feel free to mod your bikes!

Aloha,
Huladog

·
Registered
83 Posts
I've contacted COBRA to see if they're going to be offering any exhaust or slip on mufflers for the CTX and they told me that as of right now they don't know when or if they will be offering any. :350x700px-LL-66dd6d I hope that they do sometime here in the near future, cause I will most likely be getting them. I know they offer some for the F6B, so maybe they will offer some for the CTX soon.
I too contacted Cobra. They are 30 minutes from my house. They have zero interests in making an exhaust for the CTX . Not even a custom slip on. I contacted 2 Bros and they said they'd give it a look in August when race season is over. It's kinda crappy how Honda makes the bike only 1 year . It makes the accessory industry not make anything for it.
It was the same thing for the CB1100 but at least you wereable to have it imported from Japan. As accessories in general for the CTX I've seen only 2 or 3 places making accessories. Then Honda wants premium prices for parts. I ordered a luggage box discovering it was merely a Givi that was color matched and says " Honda". After spending $700 on unreturnable parts when it would of been much less by Givi.
I'm discovering quickly that the CTX is a great bike with room for improvement and hardly anywhere to improve it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm soooo with TennesseeSmith on this. I did a search to see if anyone had found a QUIETER muffler. I too put playing cards on my bicycle wheels when I was a kid to simulate rumble, but now I resent loudness in my motorcycles. I don't have anything charitable to say about the Harleys that breach the boundaries of disturbing the peace, so I won't - at least not directly. ;-) Just a preference. To each his or her own, but when we disturb others, it's a different matter. Cheers!

Briano

·
Registered
120 Posts
This is weird...because you would never consider owning a Harley unless you have changed the pipes to something aftermarket. The Harley's I have owned, I purchased new and drove them with the stock pipes for about 3 days, and just had to, had to go get some pipes. On any other machine, it seems they aren't as relevant.

My ST1300 had a set of slip-on's that gave it a mellow tone that when you cracked the throttle, they would growl. I enjoyed them, because when you rode with a pack of bikes, you could hear the bike ok, and it would get peoples attention as I would leave them in the dust because of the tone at full tilt.

I probably will keep the pipes stock on the CTX, but have experience drilling the "outlets" and that seems to be a cheap mod that gives the bike a little more character. I did this to my Yamaha Bolt and it worked very well. I do like the look of the stock pipes, the chrome looks great and I like the size of them, they appear proportional to the length of the bike and I don't want to alter that stock look.
I do too, like the look of the stock pipes. I would love to have a little more rumble/growl. Who could drill outlets for me?

·
Super Moderator
5,721 Posts
Some after market but not much. Seats and windshields and top case brackets from Givi are about it for the "made for CTX1300" market. Otherwise there are a lot of after market items that are universal fit such as pegs and grips and such. Not enough numbers yet for most after market vendors to want to go here. No matter to me though. I'm almost done fixing up and adding on mine. I have simple needs and this bike meets almost all of them stock leaving just a little for me to do. Will be adding 10 deg 20w pencil beam spot driving lights at the factory mounting location this spring when the garage warms up enough to work out there. Each side will flash with the turn signals. Then I'm done for a while.

Really not expecting after market exhaust for this bike since the engineering for them is much more than the simple layout of most bikes. Our pipes have the input in the middle of the inboard side of the can rather than the end... and that input pipe is very short and an elbow out of the catalytic converters so definitely not going to be simple slip-ons. Again, the numbers are just not there for the makers to justify the effort. Would need much higher numbers of this bike than most other bikes simply due to the complexity of the layout making it more pricey to make after market mufflers.

·
Premium Member
505 Posts
I had (hope I'm spelling it right) Delkavec mufflers on my ST1300. had a nice mellow sound that under acceleration could be heard.
But, I'm with most others here. I like the ride more on the quiet side.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I like my bikes quiet, and I'm not fan if altering stock exhausts. What I would like, however, is for the cylindrical portion to be black instead of bright stainless. If I had any confidence in high temperature paint, I'd have done it by now.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Every bike I ever owned I would add an exhaust but on the last bike I regretted it because It had a stereo and I could never hear it also I started having headaches and my ears started bothering me. Every time I did an exhaust then I had to add a fuel processer then add an air kit and if you got lucky it all worked good together. If not I'd change things, It all became a MONEY PIT which I always regretted and it never ended. The CTX is a fresh start for me and I love the way it sounds.. I plan on putting the money on convenience and comfort instead of messing with the exhaust.. This bike runs so good I don't want to mess with it.. :)

·
Registered
413 Posts
Every bike I ever owned I would add an exhaust but on the last bike I regretted it because It had a stereo and I could never hear it also I started having headaches and my ears started bothering me. Every time I did an exhaust then I had to add a fuel processer then add an air kit and if you got lucky it all worked good together. If not I'd change things, It all became a MONEY PIT which I always regretted and it never ended. The CTX is a fresh start for me and I love the way it sounds.. I plan on putting the money on convenience and comfort instead of messing with the exhaust.. This bike runs so good I don't want to mess with it.. :)
Ding ding. Yes, this exactly.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I like my bikes quiet, and I'm not fan if altering stock exhausts. What I would like, however, is for the cylindrical portion to be black instead of bright stainless. If I had any confidence in high temperature paint, I'd have done it by now.
I did a high-temp paint treatment on the complete exhaust (headers to silencers) on my Triumph Bonneville..worked perfectly well. I used Ace Hardware's brand of high-temp paint.

My caution would be that the finish turns out matte black once the paint is really baked in, and while the paint holds well it winds up quite susceptible to looking dirty from crap on the road. The CTX cylindrical portion is quite a bit of surface area, so it would look good when clean but maybe bad when dirty.

Z

1 - 20 of 31 Posts