CTX 1300 Forum banner

Explore Number 4

2K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  Gil 
#1 ·
:smiley-happy0034:
I spent a few minutes today reading a Honda ST forum just to gain some insights about the CTX engine. There was the usual chatter about the need for a 6th gear just like on the CTX forum. But then it was pointed out that the ST was geared so that 3rd and 4th gears were for most riding situations and 5th was indeed an overdrive. Interesting. I can't find gear ratio data for the ST or CTX. However, yesterday I did a little experiment to answer the following question: if you are going along at say 65 mph in 5th gear and you need to pass a car quickly, what is your best strategy? Simply roll on the throttle in 5th. (This is the obvious answer if you ride a big v-twin.) Or, downshift to 4th and then roll on the throttle. (The obvious answer if you ride a sport touring bike that needs to rev.) My conclusion. 5th gear roll-ons at 65 mph with the CTX are not impressive. However, drop it into 4th, open the gates and suddenly things get very fast very quickly with an impressive engine howl. I think 5th as it stands is probably indeed the right overdrive and there is no need for 6th. However, I'm planning to spend more of my riding time in 4th.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.