CTX 1300 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Headed out in the morning for MT, ID, and WY. Just exploring. Have a few suggested spots to hit.
Got the CTX loaded down fairly heavily. I don’t think I had this much stuff on my GSA when I went to AK. But I had two big panniers that were loaded down. Hard to get too much into these. I’ll post a few pics here.

Leaving in the morning. Today was crazy hot and humid. Trying to get up to NDak tomorrow.
Edit. I’ve only had the CTX a few weeks. Had 5,020 miles on it when I got it. Now 5,300. Checked out by the dealer last week. Ready to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just 700 miles yesterday. Was hoping to do a bit more. Last 2 hrs was in a cold rain. In Fargo now. One thing I noticed. I can’t get far on a tank of gas? 150 and the gauge is flashing. Was heading into a strong headwind the whole day though, and I’ve got a big waterproof duffle crosswise on the passenger seat. I’m sure those didn’t help. Hope to get close to some mountains today. Ha!

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
850 miles today. The CTX is running great. But the 80 mph speed limit in MT really can drain a gas tank! Ended up in East Glacier tonight.

Checked out some of the Lewis & Clark stuff along highway 2 in north east MT

·
Registered
138 Posts
What's on the agenda, going-to-the-sun, bear tooth pass, yellowstone? Seemed to have missed the black hills, devil's tower, and the fargo wood chipper.

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What's on the agenda, going-to-the-sun, bear tooth pass, yellowstone? Seemed to have missed the black hills, devil's tower, and the fargo wood chipper.

Well, I’ve ridden the Black Hills twice, Beartooth and Chief Joseph at least 3 times. Yellowstone a few times. This trip is about Idaho. I haven’t spent much time here. A few more random shots. 2,300 miles in so far. Last pic is where I am tonight. Elk City ID. I’m liking Idaho a lot. Just hope these tires hold up til I get home. Lolo Pass coming up. Lots of good roads here.

·
Premium Member
485 Posts
I lived in ID about 5 years. Met my wife there when she was there for one season. I still think of the place and the times I had out there. I went there to ski and then discovered summers were even better! Wonderful weather and the mountains are incredible. I’m lovin’ your posts and pictures, have fun.

·
Registered
138 Posts
In '09 I was on a bicycle tour to the coast and we tried to go over Lolo Pass, but were stymied by construction. Wikipedia says the NE side is gravel?

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
In '09 I was on a bicycle tour to the coast and we tried to go over Lolo Pass, but were stymied by construction. Wikipedia says the NE side is gravel?

I’ll find out tomorrow!

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Went from Elk City over to Hells Canyon. You access it from Cambridge Idaho. It’s about 50 miles in and then 50 back out. Went from there to McCall ID. It’s a bit touristy. But found the only cheap room in town! Some pics from today.
Now for the $64,000 question. How tough is it to find tires for this beast? I have 8,000 on the original tires. They look “ok”. I’m actually headed back tomorrow, and hope to get another 3,000 out of them. I think I’m dreaming. Anyone know of a Honda dealer in WY or CO that will be open Mon or Tues that might have tires for the CTX1300?
Thanks! By the way. I love this bike! When you come from a KTM and a Ural, it’s just so nice to hear there solid sounds.

Reactions: TDWright

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Lolo Pass today. I’m over in Montana. Have hit the 3,000 mile mark for the trip. Heading south and east tomorrow.

Reactions: TDWright

·
Registered
324 Posts
Thanks for sharing your trip! The bike is really in its element on those kind of trips.
Regarding your question on tires, the rear tire is NOT a common size (and probably the understatement of the year!) even at a Honda dealer. I understand the front tire is the same size as a Gold Wing so probability of something being in stock is a little better. If you think you really need one, call ahead and check/order. I know there is a dealer in Ft Collins CO (Interstate Honda ) (970) 493-8881 and it is open Monday and Tuesday. They fed us hot dogs during the Western CTX meet up a couple years ago so good folks in my book.
Good luck.

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for sharing your trip! The bike is really in its element on those kind of trips.
Regarding your question on tires, the rear tire is NOT a common size (and probably the understatement of the year!) even at a Honda dealer. I understand the front tire is the same size as a Gold Wing so probability of something being in stock is a little better. If you think you really need one, call ahead and check/order. I know there is a dealer in Ft Collins CO (Interstate Honda ) (970) 493-8881 and it is open Monday and Tuesday. They fed us hot dogs during the Western CTX meet up a couple years ago so good folks in my book.
Good luck.

I’m just now getting close to the wear bars. I think I can make it home. About 1,100 miles, but I was going to detour a bit. I ran several passes today. Between Hamilton MT and Salmon Idaho, and then the back way into Jackson Hole WY. It’s holding ok on the right turns, but I’ve never been a guy that routinely scrapes the pegs anyway.
Thanks again

Reactions: Stirling

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
From today.
I was on Sacajawea Byway between Salmon ID and Mud Lake ID. I didn’t check gas stops first. I put in a shade over 5 gal when I got into Mud Lake. The gas range said - - -.
It’s a very empty road. I could park the bike in the traffic lane and take pics. Went through Teton NP and over to DuBois then south to Lander WY. The heat finally got to me. Just 94, but felt like 114. Ha

You can’t go by the Tetons and not take a pic..

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Got behind. Too much riding, not enough writing. Actually got back to Missouri last night. 4,700 trouble free and fun miles. Ended up in Lander WY then Ft Collins CO then home. A few remaining pics from the last 2 good days riding.
Includes shots from canyon above Lander WY, Trail Ridge Rd into Estes Park CO, (2 hr construction delay at 12,000 ft) last days track across KS. Pretty twisty.. lol

1 - 20 of 21 Posts