CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm almost 6'3", and the presence of the tall windshield hasn't helped the considerable wind noise around my helmet (I'd love that calm and quietness I experience when ducking down behind the windshield).

So I ordered and placed a Puig clip-on windscreen visor:

It's intended mounting position was completely inadequate, so I tried moving the plate upward by using only the lower holes in the bracket.
Not only did it look dumb, it didn't work either:

(I hope these images don't post sideways like they show in the preview...hummm...that's weird).

What I really needed was an aftermarket wind deflector that has far more surface area to work with...then it hit me... I have also installed the tall windshield on my wife's CTX700, and had her stock shorty windshield was sitting right there on the shelf.

I used the hardware that came with the Puig and mounted the CTX700's shorty windshield:

Now let's just say this functions ideally...my next concern would be to remove the black paint that is in the inner surface of the shield.
Here's some little test scratches for the lower inner surface:

So here's the question for my inventive and knowledgeable riders: Is there a solvent you'd recommend for removing the black paint?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Only thing i can think of is paint thinners , but be careful it does'nt burn into the plastic , try a bit first before you do too much... I would'nt try paint stripper it may burn the plastic.. Others may have a better idea.

·
Super Moderator
2,176 Posts
I would not use a solvent of any kind in these shields. I almost hosed up the shield on my ST using just a glass wax. If anything, I'd try a very fine rubbing compound, and plan on doing a couple of applications of successively finer compounds until you finish up with a polish. But try it in a small corner first to make sure it doesn't haze up the surface beyond repair.

·
Registered
273 Posts
this can be tricky to do and if you do it the wrong way and mess it up it can get pretty bad, you might want to check out an automotive detailing forum to see what guys their suggest you do to make sure in the end it's how you want it to be.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My wife and I went for a long ride yesterday.

I think I'm getting the effect that I've wanted! (I had my face shield up for the entire time and was not bothered by gusting wind at all).

My wife looks back at me in her rearview mirrors and said the black paint on the "new" deflector didn't look like it wasn't supposed to be there. She says it's not really that weird looking.
So that's fine with me, as I look over the top of the whole thing anyway!
(I was pretty nervous about making a mess of trying to remove that paint)

·
Registered
267 Posts
Secure the deflector, and blast the paint off with a pressure washer.
Used this method to blow away the yellowing that plagued the hardened surface on my BMW windshields.

·
Premium Member
1,026 Posts
I have seen people use oven cleaner to remove pin stripping on a Gold Wings trunk and saddlebags so they could have it redone to their liking. I would try it on a small spot before going all in.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Whatever you do don't use a solvent to remove the black paint. I was in the sign industry for a number of years and we would often be asked to reuse a painted face before vinyl became the decoration standard. More than once we would strip the paint off the face successfully only to find the next morning the face had broken. The solvent puts extreme stress on the plastic and therefore compromises the strength. I would go with polishing the face. There are specific plastic polishes that should work for you.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts