CTX 1300 Forum banner

factory shock settings

8K views 16 replies 13 participants last post by  George Kreamer 
#1 ·
Does anyone know if the factory rear shock settings are hard ,soft, or in between?

#4 ·
Never got my spanner, so I took off both panniers and changed the rear shocks from 3 (how it came) to a 1. To me, I much prefer 1. Made a big difference to me (or maybe placebo effect). Now to look into changing the fork oil.

Eric

#5 ·
Never got my spanner, so I took off both panniers and changed the rear shocks
I was messing with mine yesterday, and being a very lazy (and cheap) person found that I could use two buck and a half rubber strap wrenches to rotate the shocks without having to remove the bags or invest in a specialty tool.

Also found that the old spanner from my VT1100 Shadow can be used in combination with a rubber strap wrench to accomplish the same thing. The strap wrench rotates the shock just short of the detent; the second strap/spanner clicks it home.

Cheap and effective.:)

In the event you don't have any strap wrenches laying around, I'm willing to lend you my friend. He has a great grip:):

Reactions: sleepngbear
#10 ·
Here's a really dumb question. I have an adjustment direction label on my left shock but none one the right. The left label indicates that I should turn inward toward the tire (looking from behind) to go from 1-5 (i.e. softer). Is the right shock distinct to the right so that it too turns inward toward the tire to go to the softer settings? Or, are the shocks the same for each side so that the left turns inward and the right turns outward to go softer?

#11 ·
Just went out to verify if I remembered it correctly. I have the label on both. They both turn the same direction and are not distinct to either side, they have the exact same label on both.

#14 ·
I turned mine so that the 5 is facing front, basically the label shows 1 with a thin line through 5 with a thicker line to the right. That means turn clockwise to get to the 5 on both sides. Atleast that is my minds cypher of it. Will test in the morning.

#15 ·
I took my bags off this past weekend, twisted the shocks by hand, from 1 to 3. I think I may like to try 2, but need to ride two-up first to see if 3 is ideal or not.
The shock label is useless, I couldn't manage to really see it all, nor did I see what direction to soften. I just turned it left and right until I was sure of where I was starting. Note: my shock tool was not in my tool kit.
Lastly, I noticed stiffening the shock helped with my wallow through corners, at higher speed.

#16 ·
Was just looking at this and reading this thread I might add for future reader that on the bottom of shock where bolted on is an arrow indicating which setting the arrow is pointed at. One side the arrow was rearward on other it was in front. Just thought I would as as I can see how that could be missed or dirty enough not to be seen. On center stand could get both hands on right side only one hand on left side. Not as strong as I used to be but was able to get from 1 to 3. Probably a better setting for me at 200+ and top case, plus an occasional rider to local restaurants.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.