CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody else hitting a 'false neutral' between 4th and 5th? I remember this happening on another bike, and I'm not 100% positive, but I'm pretty sure it was the ST. I'm hitting it almost every time out, usually in the first 5 minutes or so before the bike is really warmed up. For some reason, it feels like I'm not all the way into 4th, and when I go to kick it up into 5th there's nothing. Sometimes it will almost be in gear and then pop out. I try to make sure I'm knocking it all the way into every gear on the way up, but it's getting to the point now where I almost instinctively double-clutch going up into 5th. Once it's warmed up it's fine; but until then, it sure is taking a lot of the enjoyment out of it. :350x700px-LL-66dd6d

·
Registered
764 Posts
I've not had any issues with a false neutral. I do sometimes go from 1st to N instead of 1st to 2nd. That happens sometimes in stop and go traffic when it's hot.

·
Registered
69 Posts
No issues for me either. I noticed that if I wait until I stop at a light to down shift to 1st that it will stop at neutral frequently and I have to double clutch it. If I do it while I have moving there is no problem though.

·
Super Moderator
5,721 Posts
I've not had any issues with a false neutral. I do sometimes go from 1st to N instead of 1st to 2nd. That happens sometimes in stop and go traffic when it's hot.
ditto here.

Ed - what oil did you use at the oil change? That might have something to do with it. I follow the recommended grade of dino oil for at least until after 4000 miles and likely to the 8000 mile oil change. I may just stay with that always anyway from what I've been hearing/reading about wet clutch slippage and resource conserving/energy conserving oils (avoid these).

·
Super Moderator
2,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
ditto here.

Ed - what oil did you use at the oil change? That might have something to do with it. I follow the recommended grade of dino oil for at least until after 4000 miles and likely to the 8000 mile oil change. I may just stay with that always anyway from what I've been hearing/reading about wet clutch slippage and resource conserving/energy conserving oils (avoid these).
Don't know what oil -- the dealer done it. They usually know what they're doing, so I'd be surprised if they put something wrong in. :350x700px-LL-66dd6d

It's weird when it happens. It's like if I don't nail 4th really solid, it doesn't go all the way into 5th -- or it doesn't go into 5th at all. Only happened once today, ironically after it was very well warmed up. I'll have them check it out next time it's in for service. Which shouldn't be long the way I'm piling up miles this year. :smile:

No issues for me either. I noticed that if I wait until I stop at a light to down shift to 1st that it will stop at neutral frequently and I have to double clutch it. If I do it while I have moving there is no problem though.
This is pretty common on most bikes -- if nothing's moving and the gears aren't lined up, you have to get them spinning to get into 1st.

But the 4th-5th thing, as I recall when it was happening on another bike, I adjusted the shift lever down a pimple and that cured it. I had to drop my foot a bit more to get under it, but once I did that the missed shift problem went away. Gonna have to take a look at this shift linkage and see what adjustments are there, if any.

·
Registered
104 Posts
The only problem I've seen is the 1st to 2nd shift. Sometimes it doesnt complete and I end up in neutral. If there even IS any adjustment on the shifter it's not easy like on the foot brake.

Its annoying but I just tap up on it again if I hit neutral between 1-2 by accident.

...I had that same issue with my Suzuki, and although it was adjustable linkage I never quite eliminated it. So, I presume it's me. Even different boots didn't help.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Ditto for me on the 1st to 2nd issue. You have to be pretty deliberate in that shift. Not so with the others. If I'm not mistaken there is no!!! adjustment for height of the shift lever.

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
Sleepingbear - You have enough dittos already but you can add mine to the list. I just went out to my garage and jiggled my linkage by hand. It seems a bit sloppy (laterally, not up and down), but I never had a reason to look at it before, so I don't know how it's supposed to feel. Maybe it loosens up during the break-in process and it shows up at that unique 4th to 5th angle??

·
Super Moderator
2,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Strange nobody else is seeing this. Seems to happen when I run straight up all the way from 1st to 5th. It's like somewhere on the way up one gear, maybe even 2nd, isn't going all the way in, and so behaves every other gear until I hit 5th and it doesn't slide in completely. If I drop a gear in between (like have to downshift before continuing to upshift), then the gears seem to 'settle' and hook up just fine the rest of the way up. Like I said before, I've only had this happen on one other bike.

Maybe I need new boots. Yeah, that's it.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I have had different boots affect the way I shift...seriously.
But one thing I did notice yesterday?

No missed 1-2 shifts until she is really hot and I have been riding for a long time..

·
Registered
49 Posts
It would certainly worry me,, I know ZIP about mechanics , but i do know a old yammy fj1100 I owned was jumping out of gear second gear when warm , i was told it was a common problem and a easy fix for 2-2500 dollars , that was probably 20 years ago .. Then i bought a new vulcan 1500 , out of warranty but only 20,000 kms later , and that developed a similar problem , once again i was told easy fix , , but approx 3 $3500 dollars to fix that was 5 years ago , and i don't think mechanics prices have gone down since .

At the very least, i would be sending e mails of to the dealer,and Honda ,along with registered letters , to let them know that i have a problem , i expect them to fix it and if it ****s itself out of warranty , they have been told and forewarned and i would expectt them to cover it .

Its called Covering your arse

·
Registered
104 Posts
...yet another reason I opted for the cheap Honda OEM extended warranty.
Have to negotiate with the dealers on it....but it can be had for only $500 (or maybe better)
for 4 more years with $0 deductible.

You just never know....

·
Registered
131 Posts
I have not had any shift issues but only have a little over 1 kmi now. I had an issue recently with my 08 wing. I was riding along and was either in 4 or 5 and it dropped out to a neutral like feeling as engine started to rev. Up. I immediately shifted up and all was well for rest of the ride. I assumed I just hadn't fully engaged in the gear. We'll just have to see if it repeats, and I'll be more attentive on the CTX .

·
Super Moderator
2,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well here's what I found today riding 2-up. Usually to shift I slide my foot a little forward so the peg is almost under my heel and the shifter is around the middle of the top of my foot. That gives me a more secure feeling about the placement of the shifter and a little more leverage to knock it all the way into gear. I'm thinking that maybe I'm missing this 4th-5th shift because I'm not pushing it up far enough. So I changed my foot position so that the shifter is basically over my big toenail. It takes a little more effort (less leverage), but more distance on each swing of my foot. There must be something to it, because I never missed another shift after missing a couple earlier in the ride.

Right now it's a conscious action to position my foot just right without missing the shift pedal altogether, but I imagine it will eventually become second nature.

You guys miss-shifting 1st-2nd, I wonder if it's due to the same or similar body mechanics?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Well here's what I found today riding 2-up. Usually to shift I slide my foot a little forward so the peg is almost under my heel and the shifter is around the middle of the top of my foot. That gives me a more secure feeling about the placement of the shifter and a little more leverage to knock it all the way into gear. I'm thinking that maybe I'm missing this 4th-5th shift because I'm not pushing it up far enough. So I changed my foot position so that the shifter is basically over my big toenail. It takes a little more effort (less leverage), but more distance on each swing of my foot. There must be something to it, because I never missed another shift after missing a couple earlier in the ride.

Right now it's a conscious action to position my foot just right without missing the shift pedal altogether, but I imagine it will eventually become second nature.

You guys miss-shifting 1st-2nd, I wonder if it's due to the same or similar body mechanics?
This is a wonder I may never figure out.
I know boots have affected it for me as well as a shifter lever that WAS adjustable, but I have never eliminated this on any bike I rode, so I can't blame the Honda for sure.

I find it worsens as the bike gets hotter but I cant be 100% conclusive about that. I try to be very conscious about thinking about shifting but still miss 1-2 more often than I should be.

Right now, as I shift I catch the green "N" in the dash and just kick the lever up a 2nd time and continue on. I don't know how to correct something like this unless I get an automatic bike and thats like driving an automatic semi.

NO WAY :mad:

·
Registered
49 Posts
This is a wonder I may never figure out.
I know boots have affected it for me as well as a shifter lever that WAS adjustable, but I have never eliminated this on any bike I rode, so I can't blame the Honda for sure.

I find it worsens as the bike gets hotter but I cant be 100% conclusive about that. I try to be very conscious about thinking about shifting but still miss 1-2 more often than I should be.

Right now, as I shift I catch the green "N" in the dash and just kick the lever up a 2nd time and continue on. I don't know how to correct something like this unless I get an automatic bike and thats like driving an automatic semi.

NO WAY :mad:
Definetly don't try to shift to neutral and then look for second .

Just one good click upwards and straight into it . Don't piss about , straight in .. My missis tells me that has well :) :)

·
Super Moderator
5,721 Posts
Seems this is also a problem with the ST1300. There is a recent thread over on that other forum about this exact same thing (false neutral between 4-5 upshift).
The consensus there seems to be simply too light of a touch when upshifting.
It's what happens when major portions of parts are shared between models. Get the good and the bad on both.

·
Super Moderator
2,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
^^^ Yup, that's exactly it.

In the last couple of trips, I've found that changing my foot position when I shift up makes a difference -- I haven't mis-shifted now in a few days. My boots are a little bit soft, so I'm thinking that could be affecting things, too. Or I just get lazy, who knows.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts