CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok another simple question that my Honda dealer can't answer...what is the size of the sealing washer on the final drive drain plug? At the suggestion of an ST-riding friend I am going to change the final drive oil at same interval as engine oil (unless it still looks clean when I drain it this time).

·
Registered
446 Posts
The parts catalog says P/N 94109-14000 is "14mm". I would guess that's inside diameter, but I'm not 100% sure.

Funny thing is, the same washer is used on many Honda things, including cars. If you look around, the price is all over the place; from 1.99USD at CheapCycleParts (cheap my arse!) to 0.29USD at Partzilla, to 0.07USD at Bernardi.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bag of 50 crush washers 16$

I did the engine and final drive oil change today (embarrassingly easy I don't know why I was worried about it). Both drain plugs are 14mm so I bought a bag of 50 on amazon for 16$ (dealer wanted $1.29 for one!).

·
Registered
83 Posts
What kind of oil did you put in the final drive? And I think Bike Bandit has them for .37 each. I get almost all of my parts from Bike bandit. they seem to have everything.

·
Registered
59 Posts
@Mama Bear, did you use Honda's (Hypoid) gear oil or a different brand? I'm thinking about doing the same, but can only find Castrol gear oil with the correct weight. Any info helps.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Just curious, at what mileage are you changing that final drive oil? I don't recall the number for the owner's manual, but it's not due for quite a long time, like 12-16K miles?

Jeff

·
Registered
314 Posts
I did the engine and final drive oil change today (embarrassingly easy I don't know why I was worried about it). Both drain plugs are 14mm so I bought a bag of 50 on amazon for 16$ (dealer wanted $1.29 for one!).
Mama Bear, I am also curious if the oil looked dirty at all. I had my changed at 4000 miles by my dealer. I know it is too soon, but my thinking was a little like this "get it changed early in the game, and then forget it for the next 100,000 miles"...

·
Premium Member
204 Posts
Mama Bear, I am also curious if the oil looked dirty at all. I had my changed at 4000 miles by my dealer. I know it is too soon, but my thinking was a little like this "get it changed early in the game, and then forget it for the next 100,000 miles"...
Good idea to change oil every 4K. That's what I do. Why not?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I used honda hypoid gear oil ($7 on amazon.com) and did both final drive oil and engine oil/filter at 8k (and again at 16k). Engine oil looked great probaby could have gone longer...final drive oil had a bit of bluish aluminum residue so.I'm sure it was time. Definitely wouldn't wait for 24k to change it. Did clutch and brake fluids today too and noticed my front brake pads are pretty **** skinny.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
FYI:
The pkg of 50 are now $11.58 (free shipping) on
I did see some parts places selling them for $0.29, but after shipping for just 20, the total was $16.00 again.
Hope this helps someone.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I just change everything once a year that's about 8k, keeps everything simple.. ( nothing like hanging in the garage working on the bike) was thinking of going synthetic , what's you're thoughts? ;)

·
Registered
833 Posts
I used Synthetic in my Suzuki, never any problems. The Diff fluid doesen't need changed as often as the engine oil, its not subjected to the the extreme Heat Cycles. Change around 1,000miles and look for contaminants. I see no reason to change it in less than 50,000 mile increments.

·
Premium Member
2014 Honda CTX1300 Deluxe
502 Posts
Final drive oil I change every spring as part of its winter awakening. Yeah, its changed more often than specified (I ride about 5K miles a year) but it only a couple of minutes and doesn't require a whole lot to fill. Plus I know that fresh, clean oil is there - keeping everything lubricated.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts