CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took a tight turn and forgot I wasn't on my BMW and dug the right peg into the asphalt. It grabbed enough to straighten the bike out, but I recovered thankfully and no oncoming traffic. Will remember better next time.

Eric

Reactions: Reidion

·
Super Moderator
2,174 Posts
I've scraped mine a few times, but never dug one into the pavement. I think that would definitely require a change of underwear!

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it was an "oh $h1t" moment for sure.

·
Super Moderator
5,723 Posts
So far I've only scraped pegs on two bikes. My GW did a few times. First time was unexpected and had it really leaned over, peg "dug-in" as much as possible on concrete. Chattered under my foot as well as folded up my highway board (good thing it was on a hinge). I just gave it more gas and pulled up. Second time was on a slow Interstate on-ramp circle taken "a bit" faster than the recommended speed :D.
Other bike was the Honda Nighthawk I was riding in a MSF course. I was one of two riders in that class who scraped and the instructor sort of "allowed" it for us since we were the most experienced and showed able to handle it and recover quickly from it and still stay within the prescribed course. We both were reprimanded a bit and made an example of being a little too "enthusiastic" on the course. :)

Oh, I guess I can't forget the third bike I scraped a peg on... My ST1100. But I don't really count that as just scraping a peg since it was really a low side crash... on a hairpin turn. The peg did NOT cause the crash, but a brass Master lock laying in the road did when my front tire decided to catch a ride on it half way around the turn and tracked straight across while in full lean instead of following the turn! :eek:

·
Registered
413 Posts
Aha! I meant to post that I finally scraped one as well last week. Very tight left turn that curved backwards uphill, basically a U-turn. Just a bit of scraping but still the sensation and noise scared the crap out of me. And now I know what that feels like and have a sense for the deepest lean angle I should go for. :)

·
Registered
105 Posts
I had a dig in as well on Saturday on a nice twisty road in the Muskokas... I'd scraped them a couple of times previously but this surface seemed softer as this felt as though it dug in and "popped" my leg up off of the peg.....all ok but it wasn't a pleasant peg scrape...I looked at the peg later and could see tarmac right up where by the base of the foot peg by the bolt......

I think I'll change to the kuryakyn mini floorboards just because of this...they will be smooth on the bottom and won't dig in.......:eek:

·
Registered
37 Posts
My GW did a few times.
my GL1800 would scrape the muffler tips before the pegs

The CTX goes over further than you'd expect....and compared to most of my other bikes, it's not really very sporty. I have caught the pegs a few times, but it took more aggressive riding to do it than I thought.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts