CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wasn't intending to test the lean, but the ride home has a number of roundabouts and you just get used to riding them without thinking about it.
Found myself in the outside lane more curved where you can just kind of use all the inside lane straightened out.

Had to do a quick flick of the bike, not even feeling that I was leaning that hard when I suddenly was surprised at the feedback on my left foot peg.

I was impressed how effortless the bike leaned in and right back up. Not trying to say the bike is some track ready pavement smoking racing machine, but definitely sure footed ride.
Picture although hard to see proof of scratches
. Hand Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Finger
:p

·
Super Moderator
2022 Matte Deep Blue Kymco AK 550
5,772 Posts
That acorn nut is supposed to take all the scraping. I've leaned all my bikes enough to scrape pegs every once in a while. Once you get the hang of where that angle is while turning then taking turns will become better. You'll learn just how much you can lean and yet keep that acorn nut the thickness of a penny off the pavement.

I remember the first time I scraped a peg. That was on my Gold Wing and I was waiting for traffic to clear so I could turn left onto the on-ramp to the interstate. There was a break finally and I started my turn and only then realized the next car coming along was going a lot faster than anticipated so I had to gun it through that turn. I already knew enough that if I added a lot more throttle I could lean over more and the tires had plenty of grip to manage. What was unexpected was that I felt that shudder of that acorn nut scraping over the concrete and even a significant crack in the concrete! I just kept going and pulled right up getting out the way of that fast car. I had folding highway boards on that bike that were set low and the one on the down side was folded back. It really surprised me.

Since then I've sometimes taken turns a little more aggressively than before. Sometimes. I even scraped on the Burgman 650 a few times as well as on my ST1100. There are no "pegs" on the Burgman but the thing that scrapes is the center stand pads. That's a fixed item on the frame so I have to be a bit more careful about that, whereas normal bike pegs are hinged to enable them to handle scraping without impacting safety.

The CTX1300 pegs are lower to the ground than even the Gold Wing pegs or any other bike I've owned so were easier for me to scrape those without even thinking about it. I had installed Kuryakyn Switchblade pegs on mine and when the switchblade part was swung out that made them even easier to scrape so I only used that option when going on Interstate or going some distance and not when on any kind of curvy road.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've scraped a few pegs over the last 50 years, of course when 10 yrs old on a little mini bike when I first started it was a different outcome.

I certainly didn't feel like I was leaning to the limit on the ctx1300, it was more of an oops that curb is getting closer...Quick lean and the immediate feedback on pavement under my peg...just showing pic of peg as a badge of honor upon first peg drag.
Makes sense pegs are lower than some bikes as I didn't feel like I was being overly aggressive.
Guess I better come back to this subject when I have worn off the peg like a real man.

·
Premium Member
1,086 Posts
Guess I better come back to this subject when I have worn off the peg like a real man.

Excellent! 🏍

Next objective - heel dragging!

·
Registered
22 Posts
I too scraped last week. Coming down from elevation on rural asphalt, a wide sweeping turned out to not be quite so sweeping with the speed I had. I held firm, steadied speed, and the beautiful CTX held through the curve as the ditch narrowly passed me by -- and I puckered good and hard as I scraped.
The CTX is a great handling bike. I've always felt confident on it, and I appreciate that.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I had a real peg dragging moment while following a CBR1000 up the twisty's in Tassie and it shot me upright at about 120Km, onto the gravel verge and a real pucker moment but kept my cool and didn't brake nut just drove it back out onto the asphalt and up the road. The beast is so well balanced that I was able to keep it upright much to the surprise of the guy following me. I love the beast more and more every ride. I caught the moment on cam and its on my YouTube Channel Ian Travers

·
Premium Member
1,086 Posts

Excellent! 🏍

Next objective - heel knee dragging!
FTFY. 😁
(y)

PS I also realized that I mostly scrape the outer edges of the soles of my boots, cause I rest my feets on my Kury floorboards.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts