CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy,

I took delivery of a black CTX1300 today and rode it from the dealer's to work, some 8.5km through light city traffic. It feels like going from a Mad-Max deserts buggy to a luxury sedan :D

Shifting is very precise -- but expected, the shorter and simpler the linkage, the more snug and precise the shifting. The clutch is butter smooth and easier to pull than on the Venture, the friction zone is so large and goes up so nicely it makes the bike feel like an electric :)

Brakes are very precise but not jumpy: you can slow down as fast as you want, but they won't scare you (or send you flying) when you least expect it. Steering feels like power steering in a car: you can do figure-eights around a parking lot using only your thumb and index from a single hand.

I've never ridden a frame mounted fairing bike before and it's funny how, from the rider's perspective, the front steers like a railway car :)

The saddle is very comfortable and the rear suspension feels like the air cushion in a luxury interstate bus :D The front one is what I would call on the taut or stiff side but not overly so -- I like it that way. The amount of vibration transmitted through the handlebars is well within acceptable limits for my taste.

The throttle is twitchy over bumps if in 1st or 2nd, it got gradually better as I was stopping at traffic lights and starting off over and over again. I almost got the hang of it when I arrived at work, almost no twitching and jolting when I went over the speed bumps at the entrance of the car park.

So far so good!

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Other things that came up during the last couple days:

• the saddle is spacious, I can actually move around quite a bit and it remains comfortable no matter where I sit on it
  • the footpegs are thicker than both the ones on the Sportster and the Virago before, almost more comfortable than the floorboards of the Venture (because the rubber is still soft)
  • the lights are absolutely awesome on this bike. The headlight the most obviously so, but the rest as well
  • I have to remember fuel-injected bikes endow the idle with a mind of its own (in the case of the CTX1300, the IACV). This means the idle speed is some 2000rpm when just started (so parking lot manoeuvres "feel" easy) and it becomes some 1000rpm when out on the road (so starting off from a green light "feels" more difficult)
  • I've managed to lift it on the center stand, it was actually easier than expected (the last time I did this was on Suzuki GN250s at the riding school). The stand itself appears very sturdy (in comparison with the weight of the bike) and the physics are just right
  • The airflow over the small windshield is very smooth, I only have to fix the (smooth) wind noise with some earplugs and I'm all set. I have previous experience with riding without any screen so hopefully that'll come handy

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I took a longer trip today as I passed the 100Km mark last week and I reckoned it was about time to move to the next notch in terms of engine stress. Absolutely wonderful, air is smooth and doesn't feel like hitting a wall even at 90Km/h.
I had the opportunity to do some light twisties and handling is just perfect (as in dead neutral, the bike stays where you put it). I went through some wind gusts and, as other members noticed, the bike simply doesn't care -- this is a huge plus, as we do get quite a bit of crosswind here in Ireland and I was fed up with holding on for dear life because of it.

It was a very nice day and I've seen many people turn heads after it :D even some cage drivers were eyeballing it at the red light.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Would like to give you my opinion on Honda's CTX1300 standard. I'm 5' 8" 165 with riding gear. I just return from a 5 day 1,400 + mile trip. Camped 3 of the 4 nights. I did the Skyline drive and Blue Ridge parkway north to south. Temps mornings mid 40's to afternoon 70's. I had a twisted throttle large dry bag strapped to rear ( front to back ). Provided a nice backrest for the long ride back up Rt. 81. On top of dry bag I strapped my sleeping pad, which was nice for storing water bottle or Gatorade bottle at each end. I slid granola bars in between worked out great. Installed battery tender leads, which allowed for a small USB with SAE connection on the outside of battery cover ( cycle gear ). I had a car GPS nuvi 2595 lmt with suction mount just below ignition. Easy to remember to unplug because of battery drain. Installed Honda touring screen which is a must for any long distance. I averaged 46 mpg, route 81 didn't help. The screen read 51.3 mpg on blue ridge at one point. Bike cruised at 75 miles per hour seems to be the sweet spot for me. Check the oil everyday, same level every time. I might disconnect fuel cap tether so it gives you a little more room to fill up. Right saddlebag no problem, left sucks scrapped skin off fingers every time closing. I picked up River Road saddlebag liners which helps some. I tried to pack so I didn't have to go into left bag much. Also had to remember to pack even weight on each side. I think a rear trunk is in the future. Didn't have to shift much because of torquey engine, stayed in fourth most of the time. Seat not to bad, 200 miles you want to get off and walk around a bit. I would hang my legs in front of foot pegs on the long runs. Longest day was the last 404 miles. I tried to stay with around 200 miles per day but the weather for the end of the week was low 30's. Hammock camping low 30's not that comfortable. I have never taking a trip this long before and I can say I was shocked at how comfortable it was to ride for that distance. Even the last day I got off the bike unpacked and proceeded to cut the grass. I've had my share of bikes but this one so far is my favorite. I'm already planning my next trip. I purchased this bike for touring very happy. I got a great deal from Pete's Cycle in Baltimore MD. <br />Thanks<br />Brian R.<br /><br /><br />Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

·
Registered
8 Posts
Totally agree about the lights. I have the led spots too - unnecessary unless you need to do some emergency lighting to land the odd jumbo jet - amazing! Needs a bit more on the back ideally. Space age but a bit titchy :)

·
Registered
84 Posts
Howdy,

I took delivery of a black CTX1300 today and rode it from the dealer's to work, some 8.5km through light city traffic. It feels like going from a Mad-Max deserts buggy to a luxury sedan :D

Not wanting to rain on any ones parade but after picking up my CTX today the last thing I would call the bike is a luxury sedan. I was disappointed on how it took the bumps and minor road abnormalities. Thought I would be getting the Goldwings little brother but something else altogether and not in a good sense. The bike is SO different of what I am use to coming off a real cruiser, as I would never call the CTX a cruiser, I can only hope to adjust to this bike. It is a sharp looking bike, but pretty much that's where it ends. I can see now why Honda dropped these in the states as the bike really fits in no where to appeal to American riders. They should have kept the ST line alive instead of trying to mesh two different bikes into one, it just don't work.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Agreed on the choppy ride. Spending $500 on New shocks took the dangerous bounce out off the rear end but, at 200 lbs less than the big tourers, this will always be a choppy ride.
No matter, I'm so smitten with the 4 cyl engine and it's whiiiiiiiiir sound , and so GLAD that my feet will touch the ground, I'll take it warts and all.
Do get a set of menosabe highway peg brackets. Here's mine

Howdy,

I took delivery of a black CTX1300 today and rode it from the dealer's to work, some 8.5km through light city traffic. It feels like going from a Mad-Max deserts buggy to a luxury sedan

Not wanting to rain on any ones parade but after picking up my CTX today the last thing I would call the bike is a luxury sedan. I was disappointed on how it took the bumps and minor road abnormalities. Thought I would be getting the Goldwings little brother but something else altogether and not in a good sense. The bike is SO different of what I am use to coming off a real cruiser, as I would never call the CTX a cruiser, I can only hope to adjust to this bike. It is a sharp looking bike, but pretty much that's where it ends. I can see now why Honda dropped these in the states as the bike really fits in no where to appeal to American riders. They should have kept the ST line alive instead of trying to mesh two different bikes into one, it just don't work.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Howdy,

In US the CTX1300 is sold as touring motorcycle not a cruiser or crossover.
Honda mistake was the tag price at $15K for the standard and $17.5K for the deluxe, with the price reduced is selling fast.
The bumpy ride of the CTX1300 is very subjective and can be improved (start with the setting of the rear suspensions).
This is a motorcycle to go for a +100 miles trip in the mountains or countryside. I'm pretty sure a 200cc scooter is more comfortable at low speed downtown than the ctx1300...

Finally about the ST1300, BMW is the only one still investing in the classic sport-touring sector and even the K1600 is not selling well anymore in USA...BMW just introduced the K1600B which is exactly what Honda did in 2014 with the CTX1300 ...

Reactions: t star and bob

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
@rman ,
My experience is similar to csdexter. There are others that are similar to yours. Tennesseesmith had both experiences as he had 2 CTX that were different.
Your experience is neither unique or uniform. FYI, I ride my bike on tar/gravel road daily and on dirt/graded forest roads getting tags often, so it isn't the roads that caused my good experience.
I was one of the lucky ones that got the better suspension.
But, I'm really sorry this is your experience and hope you get it worked out to your personal satisfaction as several others have.

My only real negative was the handlebar weights magnifying the vibration of the tar/gravel roads where I live. Changed grips, removed bar weights and I got a smooth ride again.

My only wish would be for a DCT with shaft. (I know, I've said it too many times).

Reactions: psullam
1 - 10 of 10 Posts