CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I just got my new CTX 1300 - and it's already time to winterize. (Bummer!) I have a heated garage, and have filled the tank, added fuel stabilizer, but am unsure about the battery. Any help? Removing the cowling? seems daunting on this bike. I'm getting back into riding after 15 years off.

· Super Moderator
2022 Matte Deep Blue Kymco AK 550
6,118 Posts
Welcome @docshu!
The side, or middle fairing as it is called, does not need to be removed to get at the battery. Only the top cover just back from the left speaker.

Do you have a battery maintainer? I don't mean a simple battery "charger" but a device that runs through a 3 stage program of charging up to a certain voltage value, then charges at a set voltage value until the amps drops to a set low value, then it performs a top off charge to equalize the cells. This top off charge starts and stops as needed to maintain a certain volts, usually 13.8 volts. Most maintainers will monitor the battery and if the voltage drops to a certain low value will run through the program again to keep it exercised regularly. Batteries last better when cycled rather than when sitting at top charge. Some maintainers only have 2 stages, the initial charge and then a topping off stage. Either works well and both can be connected to the battery and left connected all winter. Battery Tender is one of many brands that have battery chargers as well as battery maintainers. You want a maintainer. See this article that I consider a very good description still even though it is a few years old.

The top cover has a few pins just over the front edge in the fork tunnel. Push in the center of the pin slightly until it snaps in, then pull the pin out. To reset the pin to put back in you slide the center button back so the "legs" fit into grooves in the point of the button and it sticks out the other way. The other side of the cover is held by clips into tabs in the middle fairing. Remove these carefully, lifting the cover up and then back slightly. There is also a tab in the front of the cover that fits in under the speaker grill and small tabs along the outer edge as you lift it out. Be careful as that larger tab toward the rear can be a problem. Don't mean to scare, but just in case see my thread on The broken tab story. Once the cover is off you can leave the battery in place and cables connected (since your garage is heated) and hook up a maintainer and you're set for the off season. Maybe once or twice during the 3-4 months of sitting you might consider disconnecting the maintainer and turning on the bike with just the headlight (no need to start the engine) and let that run down the battery a little, then turn off and reconnect the maintainer to bring it back up.

I used to park my bike for cold months... a long time ago. But for the last 10 years at least I don't, even though I live in central Iowa and winter can be really cold here (down well below zero*F) I don't ever consider there is an off season any more and ride every month of the year as long as the roads are clear where I ride. I just add another layer under my gear and keep going.

· Registered
2,003 Posts
Welcome Doc,
No location mentioned in your post or profile.
You must be extreme north from your post.
Did you at least get it broke in before storing?
Congrats on the purchase. Which color did you get? Standard or deluxe?
Inquiring minds want to know.
I have my battery tender pigtail hanging out between the plastic rivets on the mid cowl. So far, so good.
You could extend your riding season by doing like Bob, putting on rear snow chains and a ski under the front wheel :tongue:

· Premium Member
111 Posts
Howdy docshu! Welcome to the board. Let me tell you this is a great place to ask all your questions about the CTX.
Great bike choice for a person coming back into riding after a bit of a layoff. Good luck with her:tongue:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.