CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First - if your considering getting the deluxe for some ABS control.. DO IT.

I love this CTX1300 and already put 3K on it in the last few weeks.
The biggest issue is I got the standard. There are several reasons that is a mistake. ABS and traction control for this machine is a must for several reasons:

- Its "deceptively" heavy . It sheds its weight and feels very light ... until you get in a little trouble... then you have your hands full.
- Gobs of Braking . Hit those massive breaks a little hard and your front wheel will be doing the "unhappy dance" in a split second.
- Suspension . corner over even pebbles and your skipping and bouncing like no other bike on the market. I am waiting for aftermarket or recall or something.
- That Friggin Pedal! WHen you find yourself on sand or slippery surface... you hit the pedal to just get some rear brake and all of a sudden BOTH brakes are full on!

I was on an offramp and a car came in front of me, hit the pedal to slow on some sand , and ended up on the sidewalk with my brand new bike on its side! ( thats when I remembered the front/rear brakes both activate on pedal ) .
Fortunately - Honda has that great little engine guard... and I just had to replace the bag panel and a couple little things...

Again someone braking hard in front of me made me grab a bunch of brakes and suddenly the CTX front wheel is unhappy dancing and ive got 750 lb of skipping/sliding machine at 30 MPH. I recovered it ( it wasn't that big of a deal) but its a grim reminder of what that ABS could have done for me.

Just sharing... there are several good reasons this seems to be the kind of bike that benefits with some assist.

Oh yea, before spending $200 to replace a scratched panel, try wet sanding then buffing the damaged on... it comes out great.

·
Super Moderator
2,174 Posts
Appreciate the feedback, but I'd just like to point out that once you hit sand, I have to wonder how much ABS and traction control will get you out of trouble. There's only so much they can do -- they cannot create traction where there is none. If you have to emergency brake on any kind of dirty or wet surface on a bike, you're very likely to have a problem, especially if the situation requires changing direction.

That being said, I'm certainly glad you didn't do any serious damage to yourself or the bike. :)

·
Super Moderator
5,721 Posts
Glad YOU are ok. There are a boat load of BDCs out there who are more interested in their cell phones. There otta be a law...!

Yep, brakes are linked. I'm sure the front weren't full on since only one out of 3 pistons activate on one side (I think) with the rear pedal, but with how good these brakes are it sure likely seemed like they were. :eek:
I agree. Without linked brakes ABS may not be needed depending on the rider skills. With linked brakes it makes sense to go with the ABS. ABS was the biggest reason for my choice of getting the Deluxe. Be careful out there.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Linked braked are good. Had them on my Goldwing. but I did get the deluxe model and had ABS brakes on the wing also. the CTX will come to a stop in a hurry when needed. Glad you are alright.

John

·
Super Moderator
5,721 Posts
Welcome @DB Finster.
Do you own one now or looking at one?

In some sense it's silly they even offered the standard version only in the USA. Why not offer the same everywhere and still keep the price close to where it is for the Deluxe here. Then again, there are some who don't want the ABS on a bike and I understand that.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I can (sadly) confirm that it will go all over the place if riding over anything but runway-perfect pavement when turning. For me personally, that' just another challenge and I keep telling myself that I'll simply become a better biker if I manage to tame the CTX1300 as well -- but for others it may be very disconcerting or even dangerous.

I can also confirm the brakes are awesome. Didn't make the ABS light flicker yet, but had to stop "quicker than anticipated" a few times and performance was top notch.

·
Super Moderator
2,174 Posts
I can (sadly) confirm that it will go all over the place if riding over anything but runway-perfect pavement when turning. For me personally, that' just another challenge and I keep telling myself that I'll simply become a better biker if I manage to tame the CTX1300 as well -- but for others it may be very disconcerting or even dangerous.

I can also confirm the brakes are awesome. Didn't make the ABS light flicker yet, but had to stop "quicker than anticipated" a few times and performance was top notch.
I've ridden worse bikes than this one. Most roads around here are crap, and they don't pay any extra attention to the curvy parts -- both highway and secondary roads. There's one particular stretch of highway connector with ruts and expansion joints and generally torn up pavement around a decreasing-radius turn. While the bike does get a bit jumpy on it, it's no worse than any other bike. In fact a few of my cars jump around it worse than this bike does. It certainly isn't 'all over the place'. Yes, the CTX's handling could be better (and the same can be said for any other bike straight out of the factory); but I don't think it deserves all the criticism a few people seem intent on constantly leveling against it. I strongly disagree that it could in any way be classified as dangerous -- at least no more so than 90% of other bikes on the road.

·
Registered
764 Posts
I'm astounded that the CTX700 has ABS, the CBR300 has ABS, and they don't put ABS on every version of this bike? Just silly.
The standard CTX700 does not have ABS. In the States, you have to get the version with the DCT to get ABS. I bought mine for the ABS and then discovered that I enjoyed the DCT. If the DCT was an option on the 1300, I'd have one bike with it and one without it.

Actually, ABS is reasonable by Honda standards on the CTX bikes. If you want ABS on a Gold Wing it will cost you more than $4000 above the base bike.

I think ABS should be standard on all street bikes and the rider should be able to turn it off.

·
Registered
283 Posts
After I bought my CTX deluxe I headed to a gravel parking lot and proceeded to do panic stops and burn outs. Yes. It is a heavy bike but it seemed pretty predictable. Nothing will help if you encounter sand or gravel on a curve...except perhaps lower speed.

·
Super Moderator
5,721 Posts
I agree with @sleepngbear on this one. I will admit that I was initially apprehensive about sharper curves and turns... at first. But that was the exact same as every bike I've owned, because it was different than what I had before it. Now I take curves and turns better than I did, at least no different than I did, with my ST1100! Roads around here are definitely not runway perfect either, and many have a bit of sand somewhere around the curve. But I can do slow u-turns on the CTX1300 and take curves on it better than I did on the ST due to the lower CG. I figured out that while I would lean forward into the turns on the ST, this bike likes me to relax more and sit back in the seat around the curves and she handles like a dream. That doesn't really change how I shift my weight side to side a little, just forward or back/neutral.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I've ridden worse bikes than this one. Most roads around here are crap, and they don't pay any extra attention to the curvy parts -- both highway and secondary roads. There's one particular stretch of highway connector with ruts and expansion joints and generally torn up pavement around a decreasing-radius turn. While the bike does get a bit jumpy on it, it's no worse than any other bike. In fact a few of my cars jump around it worse than this bike does. It certainly isn't 'all over the place'. Yes, the CTX's handling could be better (and the same can be said for any other bike straight out of the factory); but I don't think it deserves all the criticism a few people seem intent on constantly leveling against it. I strongly disagree that it could in any way be classified as dangerous -- at least no more so than 90% of other bikes on the road.
I did not mean to offend anyone and I'm sorry if I did. I took the CTX1300 down the same roads I went with the Venture, to be able to compare apples to apples.

The Venture always rolls towards where you point it to while the CTX1300 tends to follow the cracks and imperfections in the road like a turntable's needle follows the grooves in the record. Maybe it's the tires, not the steering or suspension, but the issue is there.

On a perfect surface, it handles better than the Venture because it has less of a tendency to fall over at low speed and shows much less weight through the handlebars so you can do figure-8s all day without feeling like you went to the gym.

Finally, it could be that the turntable record effect is exacerbated by the absolutely f'ed up suspension design/setting on the front: the front will dive and bottom out if pressed slowly (as in braking) but will also become rock hard if slammed (which is also why the handlebars tend to vibrate like a pneumatic hammer when driving over small cracks).

The fact that I'm not complaining as loud as other people doesn't mean the problems are not obvious or not there -- just that I chose to live with them and [silently] look of a fix on my own.

·
Super Moderator
2,174 Posts
I did not mean to offend anyone and I'm sorry if I did. I took the CTX1300 down the same roads I went with the Venture, to be able to compare apples to apples.

The Venture always rolls towards where you point it to while the CTX1300 tends to follow the cracks and imperfections in the road like a turntable's needle follows the grooves in the record. Maybe it's the tires, not the steering or suspension, but the issue is there.

On a perfect surface, it handles better than the Venture because it has less of a tendency to fall over at low speed and shows much less weight through the handlebars so you can do figure-8s all day without feeling like you went to the gym.

Finally, it could be that the turntable record effect is exacerbated by the absolutely f'ed up suspension design/setting on the front: the front will dive and bottom out if pressed slowly (as in braking) but will also become rock hard if slammed (which is also why the handlebars tend to vibrate like a pneumatic hammer when driving over small cracks).

The fact that I'm not complaining as loud as other people doesn't mean the problems are not obvious or not there -- just that I chose to live with them and [silently] look of a fix on my own.
No offense taken, sir. ;)

I just don't want visitors dropping in here to see such criticisms and think the bike is an unresponsive, bad-handling pig. It isn't -- in fact it's one of the better handling bikes I've owned (better, I think, in some ways even than the ST1300). Does it have its quirks? Sure -- but then so does most any other bike. As you said, it could also be the tires -- I've had tires drastically change the handling characteristics of bikes before, and not always for the better. That's all -- I just want to be sure it's getting a fair shake. :)

·
Registered
413 Posts
Much agreed. If this bike is 'dangerous', then my previous two motorcycles were death traps.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Much agreed. If this bike is 'dangerous', then my previous two motorcycles were death traps.
Hear, hear!!!!
I've been comparing my CTX to a Goldwing. Only not as heavy/cumbersome.
Smooth and classy, more nimble and fun, and cheaper than a wing(I've had 7 wings). After 27 bikes, I've finally found my girl. I've made a pact with my wife and brother to not purchase another bike as long as this one is able and willing.

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
When I got my CTX1300, I fully intended to keep it for maybe quite a few years and then "trade up" for a Goldwing. The more time I spend on my bike, however, the less likely it seems that will be happening. I can't picture me, at retirement age, willing to push around the hulk of a Goldwing when the CTX offers so much of what I'm looking for. I feel confident that if I wanted to pull an Atlantic to Pacific summer trip, this bike would get me there more comfortably than any other machine out there. I don' think I will be buying another motorcycle until they are flying above the ground like the speeder bikes in Star Wars. :D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts