CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would really like to do a tech session down here in N, Florida. I have attended several of them with the VTX guys in Lakeland and Tampa Fl and they are a lot of fun.

Not sure what we would do at one except maybe change front fork oil, engine oil, maybe some electrical mods, install some centerstands, change some tires, etc.

At the VTX tech sessions we changed a lot of steering neck and wheel bearings, put in progressive springs in front forks, re-built rear wheel hubs, changed tires, installed fairings and bags, adjusted valves, installed LEDs and such, but not sure what needs to be done to the CTX yet. Not enough history to know if certain bearings are worth replacing early, etc.

Still, it would be fun to have one. I am sure I can help do most anything anyone might want to do and have most any tool we would need. I need to start looking at some Springtime dates and kick it around.

Any thoughts?

Reactions: Gizmo

·
Registered
143 Posts
When you do some of these items, make a video of normal maintenance and the modifications. I know in the BMW world, most of us would buy these video's on DVD because the dealer network SUCKED - get that BMW, your dealer network SUCKS!

Anyway, the complicated items weren't really all that bad when someone would walk you through the procedures. Removing panels was nice to watch, and valve adjustments were 6,000 miles, so those were always available. I recall ABS brake bleeding, rear differential oil change, and the spline lubes. Since a Honda requires less maintenance, the major items could be covered in enough detail and one single DVD.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I'm in the Tampa Bay area (actually New Port Richey, but close enough)). I'd be interested in seeing what can be done to improve the CTX suspension (front forks mainly) and maybe a power commander install. I've done all the work on my Sportster but the CTX is a brand new beast. I would definitely make the ride to J'ville (have done it several times). Keep us up to date.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When you do some of these items, make a video of normal maintenance and the modifications. I know in the BMW world, most of us would buy these video's on DVD because the dealer network SUCKED - get that BMW, your dealer network SUCKS!

Anyway, the complicated items weren't really all that bad when someone would walk you through the procedures. Removing panels was nice to watch, and valve adjustments were 6,000 miles, so those were always available. I recall ABS brake bleeding, rear differential oil change, and the spline lubes. Since a Honda requires less maintenance, the major items could be covered in enough detail and one single DVD.
Sounds like a plan. Next time I do something I will video it and start working the kinks out of that process.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm in the Tampa Bay area (actually New Port Richey, but close enough)). I'd be interested in seeing what can be done to improve the CTX suspension (front forks mainly) and maybe a power commander install. I've done all the work on my Sportster but the CTX is a brand new beast. I would definitely make the ride to J'ville (have done it several times). Keep us up to date.
I will definitely post up something as soon as I nail down a date.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I'd ride to Florida just for fun and if there was a gathering of CTX riders then suddenly I have a goal and reason for going. Oops...I think we may be talking CTX rally.....

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I like that too. I'll call it Kookopelli's Spring CTX Thing. Or summit like that.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Tech Session in Florida?
c'mon! come to REAL riding country... COLORADO! ... Where "debugging" doesn't involve spray wash and soap.
Il buzz the twisties and have your best routes ride ready by spring!

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Richroiz are you anywhere near Sturgis? They's 3 or 4 of us planning to drive over the week before official Sturgis week but are not having any luck finding accomodations. We want to haul the bikes over, park the truck and trailer somewhere and ride around the area for a week or so.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Richroiz are you anywhere near Sturgis? They's 3 or 4 of us planning to drive over the week before official Sturgis week but are not having any luck finding accomodations. We want to haul the bikes over, park the truck and trailer somewhere and ride around the area for a week or so.
Denver about 400 miles south of sturgis.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
@richroiz,
The only problem I see with coming to Co is that no tech work will be done!!!!!!:350x700px-LL-66dd6d

Having said that, I do love to ride the roads there and north. Even a nice train ride for a change of mode in Durango. I've got an itch to Start near Durango and head up to Beartooth then meander over to Oregon. Google Maps is getting a workout from me.....

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
sounds fun, and not a bad ride down from Chattanooga. Post some dates when you can nail 'em down and we'll sticky the event.

·
Super Moderator
5,721 Posts
No need to make it a sticky... but do post it in the Events and Gatherings forum. The hope is that maybe there will be many regular events to post there and then we might be able to look into sorting that forum by event name or date or something.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
@Kookopelli,
I keep looking in the 'Events & Gatherings' for the tech session.
Is anyone working on plans for this or has it just been dropped?
The mention of a rally was also mentioned. Colorado?
Anywho, I'm just bumping this to get some reaction......

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
I'd consider riding to Denver for a rally at the right time of year. Florida is just a might too far from WA, more than twice the miles

·
Registered
161 Posts
Spec Rally

Count me in for the spec session. Would like to gather with other owners and meet some new friends .

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'm Palm Springs North. Out west in the middle of Miami and Ft.Luarderdale

1 - 20 of 20 Posts