CTX 1300 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After purchasing my 2014 CTX1300D this Feb. with 2799 miles on the clock I realized the brake and clutch fluid needed flushed and changed every two years and neither had been done yet..... I know...oh the humanity right? Anyhow, the fluid was turning yellow, or dark yellow. After ordering a vacuum bleeder system from Amazon,( I buy a lot of what I need from them now, great prices and quick delivery) and two small bottles of Prestone Dot4 synthetic brake fluid for around $40.00 total. The dealer wanted $150.00 + materials to do all three master cylinders. Using the instructions from the maintenance manual I first opened the top bleeders of the front calipers one at a time and pumped the front brake until no fluid came out. Then opened the middle left bleeder and did the same. Then the rear caliper two bleeders, pumping the rear brake pedal. This drained all the fluid out of the abs system along with the master cylinders. Then close them all off (bleeders) and start with the right front top bleeder using the vacuum pump system to pull fluid from master cylinder through caliper and out bleeder value. This pulled clean new fluid throughout the system. Then the left top, then the middle left, and the two rear bleeders. Topping off the mastercylinders as you go. This took me approx. two hours for the whole process to get all the Air out of the system. The next time I do this I will not do the first part. I will drain both master cylinders of old fluid, fill with new and start pulling fluid through system in same order without having to deal with all the Air. I think you can flush the system faster this way and save both time and fluid. I used one and a half bottles of fluid to flush the brake system. I think I still have enough to do the clutch sys tomorrow. On a scale off one to ten, one being easy and ten being hard as he{} I would rate this as a three. So if you like doing your own work and saving money to boot ( I paid myself $115.00 today to do this job) give it a try.
Tomorrow I help a friend install his center stand on his CTX1300. I will do his brakes and clutch fluids also some time in near future. He had a multiple torn rotorcup surgery a few months back and won't be riding for at least another month and can use the help.

·
Super Moderator
5,553 Posts
Perhaps you can post a link for the vacuum bleeder system you bought from Amazon?

Oh, and I'm sure you draped plastic and towel over the top shelter and all around other plastic bits to catch drips same as you did for the clutch fluid change.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Brake bleeder pump I used to flush brakes and clutch systems

As per your request, attached is the photo of the MV8000 bleeder vacuum pump I bought from Amazon for $34.95. It is probably not the best one out there but it is not the cheapest either. It works very well and comes with many attachments and hose for a multitude of applications.

Attachments

Reactions: Stlburd2

·
Super Moderator
5,553 Posts
Seemed reasonable to merge your post on the bleeder vacuum you bought with this post rather than add one more sticky post or let it get lost in the archives.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, I could not get it(forum) to do that.

·
Premium Member
2014 Honda CTX1300 Deluxe
404 Posts
I replace all of my brake caliper nipples with speed bleeders. Using a vacuum hand pump the job becomes a one-man job. Bleed both brakes in less than 30 minutes. Oh... use Castrol DOT 4 brake fluid.

Reactions: Stlburd2
1 - 6 of 6 Posts